Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BUS 245: PROGRAMMING FOR MANAGERS
Hi, I will be taking this course soon. Can anyone tell me what programming language(s) are used in this course or what languages we are required to learn?
(02-11-2024, 01:45 AM)davemodular Wrote: Hi, I will be taking this course soon. Can anyone tell me what programming language(s) are used in this course or what languages we are required to learn?

I withdrew from it and took the Data Analytics course from Coursera, but I'm pretty sure the final was Visual Basic
(02-11-2024, 01:01 PM)lorie424 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 01:45 AM)davemodular Wrote: Hi, I will be taking this course soon. Can anyone tell me what programming language(s) are used in this course or what languages we are required to learn?

I withdrew from it and took the Data Analytics course from Coursera, but I'm pretty sure the final was Visual Basic

But isn't the Data Analytics course 6 months vs. 8 weeks for BUS 245?
Most people don't take 8 weeks for BUS 245, the same goes for the Coursera ones... It really depends on the person, each student is different, I highly recommend a trifecta of certs, degree, experience, a balanced mix/match of the three. For example, a younger student with no certs/experience, I would get the Coursera cert and transfer the credit or, an experienced, older student, take the class at UMPI only if it is for residency purposes. You want to transfer the max 90 credits, take classes that can't be transferred in.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I took this course in Sep, 2023, and at that time all of the programming for the final was in Visual Basic.  You download a free version of Visual Studio to do the programming.  I don't have any programming experience except a little HTML.
The course material provides a few links including a YouTube link to a 3-hr, 20-min course to learn Visual Basic.
The final required knowledge of arrays, conditional statements, loops, and event handlers. 
I took a lot of notes during the video, and had to rewind several times, but I still had to get tutoring from a friend that is a software engineer.
If I had it to do over, I would definitely have taken the Google Analytics Certification before enrolling at UMPI.
If you have programming experience, or someone that can help you with this course, then you'll be okay.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Claudia P's post:
  • Pikachu
(02-11-2024, 10:52 PM)Claudia P Wrote:
I took this course in Sep, 2023, and at that time all of the programming for the final was in Visual Basic.  You download a free version of Visual Studio to do the programming.  I don't have any programming experience except a little HTML.
The course material provides a few links including a YouTube link to a 3-hr, 20-min course to learn Visual Basic.
The final required knowledge of arrays, conditional statements, loops, and event handlers. 
I took a lot of notes during the video, and had to rewind several times, but I still had to get tutoring from a friend that is a software engineer.
If I had it to do over, I would definitely have taken the Google Analytics Certification before enrolling at UMPI.
If you have programming experience, or someone that can help you with this course, then you'll be okay.

Thanks for saying this. The general consensus I'm getting from multiple people and from different forums is to take the Google Cert; therefore, that is what I will do.
Thanks again!
[-] The following 1 user Likes davemodular's post:
  • Pikachu
It sounds a bit better than when I took the course on Strut. The Final Assessment sounds pretty similar too. At least now there's YouTube videos teaching you a language. We just had a few lines of code in the course material. The code wasn't even in the language the Final Assessment was on. That never made any sense. I had 4 Zoom calls with my professor to get mine completed. I didn't find it to be a course where you actually learned any programming and it doesn't sound like it's really changed much unfortunately.
So what is the outcome of the course?
You wrote a program in VB and you upload the code or you publish the code somewhere only compiler and show the details that course material is learnesd and source code is work a program?
I would definitely recommend the Coursera certificate. It took me three days, and 70% of it is just How To Have A Job - Data Edition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westslope Cutthroat's post:
  • Pikachu
Can someone show me proof that Coursera courses are accepted at UMPI? I'm enrolled in one now, which should take the place of programming for managers.