Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUS-421 Online Capstone Review
Hey,

I just completed my BUS-421 Online Capstone course with an A. So I wanted to give my review about the course for those that may be taking it soon and have some fears. 

Things I had to think about when I was picking the course.
Which professor
Which course should go for Online vs Guided Study
How to write an  case analysis paper

I chose online study because you get an easy 5% for completing the proficiency assessment compared to the guided study. As well as your final project is less weighted and the grades are more balanced. 

Guided Study
Case study assignments (7) 35 percent 
Discussion assignments (5) 10 percent 
Midterm examination 25 percent 
Final project 30 percent

Online Course
Case study assignments (7) 35 Percent
Discussion assignments (11) 15 percent
Midterm examination 25 percent 
Proficiency assessment 5 percent
Final project 20 percent

Online Discussions
Yes Online study has more discussion assignments but it is very easy you just need to write 2 paragraphs or less. I've seen some people write less than a paragraph and have continued to do so throughout the semester. I guess they got a good grade so they just kept it that way? I recommend 2 paragraphs or enough to answer the question. Its better to be able to answer the question. The mentor does ask you follow up questions which you can answer in a couple of sentences. Writing a response back to other students was easy and overall I felt like improved my learning experience.  Please also include and cite your sources that you find etc. The online discussions all relates back to the readings so please dont skip out on the readings

Proficiency assessment
The proficiency assessment is something that GS study have to do as well but it is not counted towards their grade. Nothing to be afraid of here..at first I was confused what it was. you can read more about it here https://www.ets.org/proficiencyprofile/about

Case Study
Writing the first one is the hardest but once you get the idea of it and when you start seeing the connection of each case study to the reading chapter you will do ok. It will definitely prepare you for the final paper. 

Midterm
I was stressed out with the finals but I realized just have some confidence and understand that your case study and discussions questions are what prepares you for the midterm. Please use the study guide!! I spent 1-2 days going through the study guides bullet points if you understand each concept and analysis you will do fine. Take the practice exam to get a feel for the questions. I took the exam the first day it unlocked

Final Project 
Writing my case studies prepared me for this yes it may seem like a lot to write.. but it wasn't really. By the end of the 7 case study papers the final project was a breeze. For me it was less pressuring because if you looked at how Online study course grades are you could easily pass with an ok Finals paper. GS however its worth 30% which is much more pressuring to write an amazing final paper. However I didn't slack on my final project even though I already passed the course. I learned a lot so I spent my time and effort to write a paper I would be happy about. I actually wrote two finals paper lol and deleted one half way through. 

Tips 
  • Please make a calendar with all the due dates on it. It is not a joke i highly recommend this so you know what you have to do.
  • There is some time after your midterm which is just Online discussions due dates THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO SLACK!!! I started to write out the rest of my online discussions. I finished all 11 of my responses to the online discussions before hand. I wrote my next case study paper! Why? because if you look at the end of the semester you can see that your case study 7 and final paper is due within days of each other
  • Use the STUDY GUIDE! Go through each of the bullet points
  • Pick the professor with the least amount of seats available meaning its filling up like crazy
  • Don't be afraid to message your professor about anything most of them understand that most people that are taking the course is adults and sometimes life has priorities 
  • Don't skip out on the readings
  • I was lucky to buy the book for cheap and so i could make notes and flip the pages like crazy. I made so many notes for the case study's. If you are reading it take notes on company revenue's, capabilities, resources, culture, competitors, and etc. Have the assignment questions printed out in front of you and when you see something that may answer it highlight it. Keep track of your sources! I used citefast.com to keep track of my sources and it helps you with your apa format.
Have fun!! I learned a lot in this course.  Thanks to the people that convinced me to take the course ASAP instead of slacking off a month to chill my brain lol.

Props to whoever was able to do the course while doing study.com etc. I know personally I wouldn't be able to do that.

I think dfrecore will post about GS experience soon? =)
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
[-] The following 8 users Like BearEDU's post:
  • allvia, jsh1138, mc.christi, Sapientes, StoicJ, suzycupcake, TacticalTechie, Tolpeko
Thanks Bear!  My son is in that class now and sweating the midterm.
I came to this forum researching for my now 17-yr-old son who was earning credits via testing and online courses. He completed TESU's BUS-421 in March 2018, the capstone for the TESU BSBA GM degree.  Below are the courses he took:
Study.com: Business 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 113, 121, 308, 309; Economics 101, 102; Finance 101, 102; History 103, 104, 106, 108; Math 103; Political Science 102; Religion 101; Geology 101; Nutrition 101; Chemistry 101; English 305
SL: Intro to Communications, Accounting 1&2, Financial Accounting
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus, Statistics
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101, 102, 103
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
312N-H Ethics & the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Community College: English 101 & 102, Calculus 1
TESU: MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, BUS-421-OL BSBA Capstone Course (January 2018 term)
I was actually appalled at the efficiency assessment being part of my grade. Essentially they were willing to penalize me for not participating in their data gathering. So it did it, but made no effort at all. Serves them right to get bad data for their trouble.

Had they simply asked, I might have been willing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-29-2018, 11:48 AM)wandac Wrote: Thanks Bear!  My son is in that class now and sweating the midterm.

yea i sweated about the midterm as well was nervous and all but the study guide make sure to write out all the points. It may sound grueling but you have to do it. I did it and it was like 10+ pages in the end but it helped me out in the finals. Once you write it out its easier to remember

(01-29-2018, 12:02 PM)davewill Wrote: I was actually appalled at the efficiency assessment being part of my grade. Essentially they were willing to penalize me for not participating in their data gathering. So it did it, but made no effort at all. Serves them right to get bad data for their trouble.

Had they simply asked, I might have been willing.

i think its part of their way for adding another support for accreditation. Who knows with the new changes to TESU and new president i think they may even switch it from it counting as 5% to a requirement instead like the introduction post in the OL course which counts as 0% but its a requirement.
It was only 2% when I did it, so they have decided to up the ante. I understand they have good reasons, but it has nothing to do with performance in the course and therefore does not belong in the grades at all. They should find another way.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-29-2018, 01:07 PM)davewill Wrote: It was only 2% when I did it, so they have decided to up the ante. I understand they have good reasons, but it has nothing to do with performance in the course and therefore does not belong in the grades at all. They should find another way.

I wonder why for GS they kept it as a requirement but offer no grades and the OL they made it into a grade
Wow, that's a great review!! Awesome work snatching up that A! I guess you'll create another thread for "I'm done!" eh?
I hope to read about that since you're now in the "writer" hot seat... lol, I guess taking that course helps quite a bit...
You might want to create that "I'm done" thread so others can see how you did it, along with the courses you took to get there...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Sapientes
(01-29-2018, 05:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, that's a great review!! Awesome work snatching up that A! I guess you'll create another thread for "I'm done!" eh?
I hope to read about that since you're now in the "writer" hot seat... lol, I guess taking that course helps quite a bit...
You might want to create that "I'm done" thread so others can see how you did it, along with the courses you took to get there...

Lol I guess I should make a finally finished thread of my journey to Bsba. Then soon new journey to wgu msml lol. really sad about hodges upower program though dam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BearEDU's post:
  • StoicJ
Awesome work - this thread made me so happy I got the Strategic Management TECEP done under the wire,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,104 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,301 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,908 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,736 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,976 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,805 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,542 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TESU - BSBA in Marketing - Plan Review chattenoire 2 1,260 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork