Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources?
Thumbs Up 
(06-15-2019, 04:10 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't think WGU will accept Davar because it's NCCRS. WGU does not accept NCCRS credit. Also, I'm kind of confused as to why you would want a BS Accounting after a BSBA seems redundant to me. Why not go for a masters?

I think you're absolutely right, which is why I'm counting only about 60 credits transferring through. It's a shame, because Davar courses are more rigorous than the other options (SDC, SL, etc.). I learned the most from those courses and they're accepted by TESU and COSC. Nevertheless, I chose WGU for its rigor in preparation, which I know will be indispensable when landing a job in a totally new field.

(06-15-2019, 04:39 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 04:10 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't think WGU will accept Davar because it's NCCRS. WGU does not accept NCCRS credit. Also, I'm kind of confused as to why you would want a BS Accounting after a BSBA seems redundant to me. Why not go for a masters?

I think you're absolutely right, which is why I'm counting only about 60 credits transferring through. It's a shame, because Davar courses are more rigorous than the other options (SDC, SL, etc.). I learned the most from those courses and they're accepted by TESU and COSC. Nevertheless, I chose WGU for its rigor in preparation, which I know will be indispensable when landing a job in a totally new field.
[quote pid='290140' dateline='1560634773']

P.S.: What's funny is that Davar shows WGU on their website and I contacted them about it several days ago. They haven't replied back, which is unusual for them. We'll see.

[/quote]

I agree.  I'd skip the BS in Accounting and get an MS in Accounting.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-15-2019, 11:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Having researched this for my mom, it's pretty tough to find a cheap online MS in Accounting that doesn't require you to have a Bachelor's in Accounting (like WGU does). Do you know of any?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

No, it is not at all redundant. None of the concentration requirements for the BS in Accounting at WGU are covered in the BSBA from COSC (see here: https://study.com/program/Western_Govern...ransferTab - 2nd to last table, 32 credits). In addition to that, there's another 9 credits in the program that also aren't covered. 41 credits is not a minor matter, especially when 32 of them apply specifically to your area of expertise.

Once I'm working in the field I'll plan to complete the MS, but not before then.
(06-16-2019, 02:02 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:

No, it is not at all redundant. None of the concentration requirements for the BS in Accounting at WGU are covered in the BSBA from COSC (see here: https://study.com/program/Western_Govern...ransferTab - 2nd to last table, 32 credits). In addition to that, there's another 9 credits in the program that also aren't covered. 41 credits is not a minor matter, especially when 32 of them apply specifically to your area of expertise.

Once I'm working in the field I'll plan to complete the MS, but not before then.

I feel obligated to add something, since you also live in Florida. I'm finding it impossible to find an entry-level job or internship in accounting. Utterly impossible. The jobs around me in central Florida, are jobs like accounting clerk, but, they want a degree and 5 years experience and the pay is $13 an hour. Even though there are 70+ accounting jobs within a 25 mile radius of me AND they keep getting reposted, I still cannot get hired. There seems to be no budging on the experience requirement. I really feel like I will never find decent employment. I have an interview on Tuesday for a $9 an hour secretarial job, but, I doubt that I even successfully get that. I'm wondering if my 5 years of library/county government is hurting my chances? Nobody can believe that I might have some skills which is ridiculous because my job at the library requires way more skills than secretarial work. 

I'm going to finish my degree anyways, might as well at this point, but, it would have made more sense to sell drugs or something.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 

I didn't realize that you had a BSBA but weren't working in the field.  I guess you do have to get that BS in Accounting then.  The GE requirements are waived, so you only have to take what you haven't yet (I'm guessing some of the courses in the major will be covered by the BSBA).  I would save all of the accounting courses for WGU, so that you get the most thorough understanding.  It certainly can't hurt to take a bunch of outside courses for credit (or not) to prepare for the degree, that way you hit the ground running.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-16-2019, 06:21 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

I feel obligated to add something, since you also live in Florida. I'm finding it impossible to find an entry-level job or internship in accounting. Utterly impossible. The jobs around me in central Florida, are jobs like accounting clerk, but, they want a degree and 5 years experience and the pay is $13 an hour. Even though there are 70+ accounting jobs within a 25 mile radius of me AND they keep getting reposted, I still cannot get hired. There seems to be no budging on the experience requirement. I really feel like I will never find decent employment. I have an interview on Tuesday for a $9 an hour secretarial job, but, I doubt that I even successfully get that. I'm wondering if my 5 years of library/county government is hurting my chances? Nobody can believe that I might have some skills which is ridiculous because my job at the library requires way more skills than secretarial work. 

I'm going to finish my degree anyways, might as well at this point, but, it would have made more sense to sell drugs or something.

Woah! Okay, all I can tell you is bust your butt in your studies. Give it your all. My life experience has been you get out of it what you put in. WGU has a good reputation. Talk to your WGU counselor regarding work-study options. Excel there and that will give you a stepping stone toward the next opportunity. You can do this! You're almost there. No doubt, the last part will be the hardest, but you will make it happen.  Shy
(06-16-2019, 11:23 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 06:21 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

Woah! Okay, all I can tell you is bust your butt in your studies. Give it your all. My life experience has been you get out of it what you put in. WGU has a good reputation. Talk to your WGU counselor regarding work-study options. Excel there and that will give you a stepping stone toward the next opportunity. You can do this! You're almost there. No doubt, the last part will be the hardest, but you will make it happen.  Shy

I'm not worried about finishing my degree, I can do that easily. I just wanted you to be aware of what the job market is like here in crappy old Florida. Your degree isn't going to be a magic wand here. Granted, at the end of it, I'll still have a degree and that would be helpful if I moved somewhere else.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,542 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,453 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Free Language Learning Resources vetvso 20 1,396 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,249 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 735 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,467 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,594 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,085 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic