Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backdoor bachelor's business degree?
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been pretty active over in the OSSU Computer Science community and have heard good things about DegreeForum, thanks for having me  Big Grin

My question is a little different... I'm currently enrolled in Georgia Tech's OMS Analytics degree and I'm trying to test out of a course... and I think by the time I do that I may inadvertently be close to a BS Business Administration. If it's not a lot of extra effort I kind of want to pursue the second bachelor's.

Here's what I have so far: 

BS Mechanical Engineering from a regionally-accredited state school (2.5 GPA, started in 2003, earned in 2010)
Intro to Computer Science course with 3 hours transfer credit at Charter Oak State College
9 credits toward an MS Analytics, Ga Tech

Here's what I need to demonstrate in order to opt out of the course:

- Coursework in accounting
- Coursework in finance
- Coursework in business strategy
- Coursework in supply chain/operations management
- Coursework in marketing

Looking through this at first I thought I could just take 3 CLEPs (Financial Accounting, Intro to Management, Intro to Marketing) plus a DSST (Principles of Finance) and call it a day. Estimated cost: $100 for the DSST, free CLEP through ModernStates. And that might work, and that might be enough. 

The problems I see here are that they want coursework in these areas, and Georgia Tech doesn't accept CLEP/DSST credit (I wouldn't need to transfer the courses in, per se, but they may look on it as not rigorous enough. They may decide exam credit isn't coursework and deny me on that basis.)

Then I found Excelsior College UExcel tests, and as you know they grant actual RA class credit with an actual grade on an actual transcript. Plus they have course coverage on all 5 areas I need to cover.  I think this is a solid option for ensuring I can demonstrate the coursework and I think it's a good option for my use case. Estimated cost: $1100 for five UExcels.

But then I noticed I can test out of Excelsior's entire BS Business core with UExcels, and, well....now I'm brimming with the possibilities.

So that's all the background. Here are my questions:

Where does it make sense to apply? EC, TESU, COSC, all three, elsewhere?
When do you apply? Should I do it now or should I wait?
Once you get transfer credit evaluated, do you still have the opportunity to use Sophia, StraighterLine, CLEP, DSST, etc?
Let's say I take UExcels for this immediate need, but EC ends up not being the best bet for whatever reason. Can I transfer those to TESU/COSC/elsewhere and have them show up on my transcript as graded course, or will they just be T for Transfer? Or will they show up as EX credit for examination?
What's the next step I should take right now?

...are there any screamin' deals in cheap MBAs-by-examination that I don't know about?

Thanks!
Can't help with your actual question, though I'm sure someone else will, but I just wanted to chime in to say I really like what's being done with OSSU.

From this OMS (Cybersecurity) alumnus: Good luck with your OMSA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Welcome, OSSU-er! Big Grin Let's see about answering your questions!

(01-29-2022, 12:28 AM)BarleyWhine Wrote: So that's all the background. Here are my questions:

Where does it make sense to apply? EC, TESU, COSC, all three, elsewhere?
Excelsior's a bit funny (and not in a good way) about getting a second Bachelor's degree. They require 30 UL credits since your first degree, in addition to whatever business core classes you might need. TESU's a bit expensive (at least by our standards) and a second degree would cost around $7-8k + whatever coursework you need. COSC restricts credit sources these days and isn't really the best option for a lot of people. For business degrees, we usually recommend UMPI these days. (More on them later) UMPI should be $3-4k for a degree.

Quote:When do you apply? Should I do it now or should I wait?
That depends - if you decide on TESU, apply ASAP. If you decide on UMPI, you'd wait.

Quote:Once you get transfer credit evaluated, do you still have the opportunity to use Sophia, StraighterLine, CLEP, DSST, etc?

With TESU, yes. You can keep transferring in credits all you want once becoming fully enrolled. With UMPI, you'd need permission to do this.

Quote:Let's say I take UExcels for this immediate need, but EC ends up not being the best bet for whatever reason. Can I transfer those to
TESU/COSC/elsewhere and have them show up on my transcript as graded course, or will they just be T for Transfer? Or will they show up as EX credit for examination?
If they want actual COURSEWORK for these classes, a UExcel probably isn't going to cut it no matter what. It shows on the Excelsior transcript as being an exam (though graded). At other schools, it should show a grade, but it will still show as being an exam (they have different course numbers than the same Excelsior courses). This is another good reason to choose UMPI.

Quote:What's the next step I should take right now?

Make a list of all the credits you have, including their grades, course number, and where they're from (see template in stickied thread). At both TESU and UMPI, your gen eds would be waived because of your prior degree. But you might be able to waive other classes, depending on exactly what you took and what their grade was.

Quote:...are there any screamin' deals in cheap MBAs-by-examination that I don't know about?

Yes, kind of. It depends on where you live and what your end goal is. WGU and Walden have competency-based MBAs, but they're not available everywhere. A lot of people are able to complete them in 1-2 terms, making them $6-12k (or so; I don't remember exactly off the top of my head). You can't beat ENEB's sub-$1k pricetag, but they're not for everyone.  

UMPI's YourPace is competency-based, with most courses being passed by a single paper or project. Some courses (but not many) have exams instead of papers or projects. If Georgia Tech wants coursework, this is probably going to be your best, cheapest, bet. The cost works out to be $700/mo. (in sessions of 2 months each) and most people here are able to finish off a degree in 2-3 sessions. This is arguably the fastest way to a degree, too, as the required capstone at TESU (and the other Big 3) is at least 2 months and this doesn't take into account the other coursework you'd need to transfer in nor the fact that the other schools only graduate students a handful of times per year. UMPI awards YourPace degrees after every session (6 times per year).

UMPI does require 30 new credits with them for a second degree, but unlike Excelsior these don't all have to be UL credits. Again, most students here are able to complete these 30 credits in 4-6 months after starting at UMPI. Once you list your prior classes, we can advise as to what to take, and from where, to be able to enroll at UMPI for the next session. 

UMPI YourPace degrees: https://umpi.edu/yourpace

If you decide on TESU instead, here's a list of credit-by-exam (via Study.com, Sophia, etc.) degrees available: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...quirements You can ignore the gen ed requirements, because of your first degree, just focus on the business core & AOS links on that page.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
So if I'm understanding this correctly, you need coursework from 5 different subjects in business which is at least 5 classes. All of this to get out of taking 1 class. It seems like it would be easier to take 1 class versus 5 classes or 5 exams.
EC - not a great plan with all the UL needed
TESU - pricy for a 2nd degree
COSC - decent price, easy enough to get credits through Study.com (or Sophia, Saylor, SL). I think you could do this degree for ~1700 at COSC + cost of courses, so maybe $3000 or less

UMPI - great price, but I think COSC may be the better choice in this instance.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-29-2022, 02:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: EC - not a great plan with all the UL needed
TESU - pricy for a 2nd degree
COSC - decent price, easy enough to get credits through Study.com (or Sophia, Saylor, SL). I think you could do this degree for ~1700 at COSC + cost of courses, so maybe $3000 or less

UMPI - great price, but I think COSC may be the better choice in this instance.
How you make it for 1700 if you have all the other courses?
How you count it?

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
If you need actual coursework (and not just SDC/Sophia/etc.) courses, I don't think COSC will be anywhere near as cheap as a UMPI degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-29-2022, 04:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you need actual coursework (and not just SDC/Sophia/etc.) courses, I don't think COSC will be anywhere near as cheap as a UMPI degree.

COSC 2nd degree is only $1700 for the capstone and fees for 1 term.  So it's a matter of the courses you need.  Assuming the OP has some, and are willing to do CLEP and Saylor for some, and then Study.com for the remaining, it's totally doable, and on a more flexible schedule except the Capstone.

I'm guessing that the OP is already taking courses, and maybe doesn't have the time to do UMPI while also doing the current coursework.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sill, I get that you need 6 credits from them= 419x6= 2514 (out of the state) and if in state 6x319=1914 all that with student service fee 224/295 (in/out state) and tech fee 75.
This is 2 sessions at UMPI.
How is possible to make a COSC degree for 1700?
(01-29-2022, 05:38 PM)Kab Wrote: Sill, I get that you need 6 credits from them= 419x6= 2514 (out of the state) and if in state 6x319=1914 all that with student service fee 224/295 (in/out state) and tech fee 75.
This is 2 sessions at UMPI.
How is possible to make a COSC degree for 1700?

For a 2nd degree, you don't need the cornerstone, just the capstone.  Assuming you get the 10% discount for Sophia/Study.com/SL:

Application Fee $50
Student Services Fee $266
Technology Fee $68
Capstone $1,131
Graduation Fee $203
Total $1,717

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 162 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 141 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,747 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 201 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,555 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 216 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 625 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,105 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,210 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK