Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad news, Everybody!
I had emailed my advisor at Excelsior about the GRE results and such and got a message back this morning...

Hopefully I won't get in trouble sharing this information, but here's a line cut directly from the email conversation from my advisor about the GRE Subject tests -

'Excelsior College will no longer be accepting these examinations for credit in the very near future'
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:I had emailed my advisor at Excelsior about the GRE results and such and got a message back this morning...

Hopefully I won't get in trouble sharing this information, but here's a line cut directly from the email conversation from my advisor about the GRE Subject tests -

'Excelsior College will no longer be accepting these examinations for credit in the very near future'

big news! Thanks for sharing that. Will you be getting credit for your GRE?
Wow, that stinks for people that are counting on that exam for credit.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I wonder if COSC will be following suit.

I see an overall trend of things getting stricter at the big three, not that the GRE is easy, not a bit.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
TMW2010 Wrote:I had emailed my advisor at Excelsior about the GRE results and such and got a message back this morning...

Bad news indeed! Maybe this will happen at the start of the new school year in July? There are other things coming up like the new capstone course requirement .

I discussed GRE credits this morning with an advisor (see other thread) and it looks like those of us who took it in April are safe. But with this exam being administered only 3 times a year there may be no options for others to hurry up before the door closes. Sad.

W.
Very unhappy about this development.

Is passing the math subject exam with an 87 percentile just not rigorous enough?

It isn't hardly even feasible to earn a math major without the GRE exam.

Complaining aside, what are my options as someone who was pursuing a math major at Excelsior?

Will the November test date be accepted? If not, it seems I have to switch colleges or select another major.

This sucks. I am feeling so disappointed right now.
If anyone can email their adviser and get a time frame, that would be helpful.

I hope NAP sees this soon, her degree plan includes 2 or 3 GREs. Hopefully she and everyone else who is planning on a GRE can still get at least one of them in before the policy change.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
wb.john Wrote:Very unhappy about this development.

Is passing the math subject exam with an 87 percentile just not rigorous enough?

It isn't hardly even feasible to earn a math major without the GRE exam.

Complaining aside, what are my options as someone who was pursuing a math major at Excelsior?

Will the November test date be accepted? If not, it seems I have to switch colleges or select another major.

This sucks. I am feeling so disappointed right now.

It could be a long shot, but how about checking with EC if this could be circumvented by getting exam approval asap? Then maybe that would protect you even if changes are enacted between now and the next GRE subject test administration. And if you get turned down then you'll know for certain that you need to re-work your degree plan.

W.
WeAintGotNoBadges Wrote:It could be a long shot, but how about checking with EC if this could be circumvented by getting exam approval asap? Then maybe that would protect you even if changes are enacted between now and the next GRE subject test administration. And if you get turned down then you'll know for certain that you need to re-work your degree plan.

W.

I haven't even completed the application process, but I would hope that I can do something like this.

If not, I might need to get the associate's degree and go elsewhere.
Thanks Alissa for being concerned about me and the rest of the people this could affect.

I thought I should quit crying for a second and write a note.

Since the capstone announcement, I have been thinking about Jennifer’s quote and whether the capstone and/or now the GRE problem are going to be my brick wall(s).

This sounds ominous, but we know very little right now.

I have started my letter to the president.

Well, it is time for me to go study for the Biochemistry GRE.

P.S. It is way too soon to really know how we want to respond to this. As we get more of the official information and if we need to make alternate arrangements, I would like to stay in touch with those of you who were planning to use GREs. I would like to brainstorm and hear about your new plans. I am considering taking the Math and Biochemistry GREs anyway (if they are still going to be offered), since I think they will be valuable to me personally and professionally, even if not educationally.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for TESC's TECEPs: Public Relations, Intro to News Reporting or Marketing Com? tickledpink 11 1,776 07-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: scribbler
  Great news JJ65 5 866 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rmonte
  Bad news for my TESC degree Snickerdoodle 50 3,919 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Snickerdoodle
  Applying soon to TESC BA Liberal Arts (NEWS FLASH: Must Read) bldclot2 10 1,144 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  U.S. News info on Big 3 IrishJohn 11 1,419 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Last Post: perriquit
  News Flash!!!!!! Excelsior Capstone bldclot2 4 793 12-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Last Post: bldclot2
  Good news about TESC math/natural science ryoder 8 1,734 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  got my inital assessment back from Ecelsior and COSC...not good news ! rebel100 3 1,086 11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Worst...news...ever betch 10 2,306 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Last Post: betch
  Bad News--Excelsior Unofficial Evaluation mlwilliamsiv 19 3,498 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Last Post: malcs