Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baker University & FEMA Courses
A colleague put me onto Baker University and how they will take some of the FEMA courses. All you have to do is take courses that are on their approved list:
http://www.bakeru.edu/images/pdf/AC_scho...A_List.pdf

After you take the FEMA courses, apply to Baker University (my colleague suggested you apply via their online division: https://www.bakeru.edu/program/online/). Once you have your student number and your advisor contacts you, you can begin the process to upload your FEMA certificates to the university's PLA portal.  Complete the submission form and wait for the invoice to be sent to your email. The cost is a one time fee of 100 USD, plus 30 USD per FEMA course you want to convert to credit.

There is a maximum of 12 credits you can get this way at Baker University. My colleague said it took about 3 weeks for the university to process the credits.  The university also gives credit for some professional licenses this way: http://www.bakeru.edu/images/pdf/AC_scho...e_List.pdf

My brother, who is currently working on his degree, is attempting some of the FEMA courses to get 12 credits.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
Can these actually be transferred elsewhere or does Baker show them as transfer credits, which would mean that only Baker will accept them?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Kab, Vle045
(02-09-2022, 02:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Can these actually be transferred elsewhere or does Baker show them as transfer credits, which would mean that only Baker will accept them?

I asked my colleague and he stated the courses are on his transcript at Baker University.  I would assume that this means you can use them at other places. I saw this on their PLA page: "All credits earned through the Prior Learning and Assessment Center will be posted to the student’s transcript when the official score report or evaluation and credit recommendation is received."

You may want to contact the university to confirm.  Contact information for their PLA office is here: https://www.bakeru.edu/resource/prior-le...nt-center/
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
Being listed on the transcript doesn't mean that it will transfer. If you plan to use these credits anywhere that is NOT Baker University, I would really confirm whether these are listed as Baker credits or transfer credits.

There is a similar issue with TEL Learning. Some of the partner schools only list the courses as transfers and, so, you can't use those credits at any other school.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Ideas
(02-09-2022, 11:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Being listed on the transcript doesn't mean that it will transfer. If you plan to use these credits anywhere that is NOT Baker University, I would really confirm whether these are listed as Baker credits or transfer credits.

There is a similar issue with TEL Learning. Some of the partner schools only list the courses as transfers and, so, you can't use those credits at any other school.

Sorry for the late reply. My colleague who is attending Baker University, was given a mixed response when he asked about the transferability of the FEMA courses to other universities. His Academic advisor said no, while the PLA office said yes. He has ordered an official transcript to see how they are listed and I will report back to everyone once he receives his transcript.
(03-03-2022, 10:38 PM)sacredrain Wrote:
(02-09-2022, 11:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Being listed on the transcript doesn't mean that it will transfer. If you plan to use these credits anywhere that is NOT Baker University, I would really confirm whether these are listed as Baker credits or transfer credits.

Sorry for the late reply. My colleague who is attending Baker University, was given a mixed response when he asked about the transferability of the FEMA courses to other universities. His Academic advisor said no, while the PLA office said yes. He has ordered an official transcript to see how they are listed and I will report back to everyone once he receives his transcript.
Did your friend ever get back to you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starbucks ASU FREE Online Courses with Certificate lisarox 2 212 04-26-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gateway Education Courses sacredrain 11 2,646 02-21-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Sharkess
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,576 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  NASAR - Search and Rescue Courses DesertGuy 0 356 02-09-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: DesertGuy
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 697 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  FEMA - You Are The Help Until Help Arrives DesertGuy 0 327 02-04-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: DesertGuy
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 710 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
  Free Public Health Foundations Certificate - SUNY University at Albany Maniac Craniac 2 907 07-19-2023, 05:28 PM
  Three free courses with certificates - Digital Preservation TINASAM 0 1,012 07-06-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Free Courses with Statement of Participation Upon Completion sanantone 1 1,192 01-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Insert Name