Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best college for Sophia classes
Hey all,
Which school can the most Sophia classes be transferred into which would lead to an actual degree?  I am trying to fill in my degree with Sophia the best I could.  I see the transfer list on Sophia but I just don't know what slots they would fall into in a degree plan such as Liberal Arts.

Thanks,
Mike
Most of the schools will only accept up to 90 credits transfer limit for their degree programs, COSC, Excelsior, TESU are the only options that allow up to 114. Having said that, Sophia.org only has 25 - 3 credit courses, 2 - 1 credit courses, and 1 - 3 credit developmental/vocational free elective, the most you can get is 75, 2, 3 = 80 credits and the only one of the Big 3 that will accept them all is Excelsior, all 80 of them! COSC/TESU and all the rest will take a variety of them, but not every single course...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning
All of the Big 3 will take up to 90cr from a single provider, and Sophia only has 80cr. Assuming you completed every course, though, is a stretch. I would say that you should do all of the courses that will fit into all of the Big 3, or better yet, choose a degree (BALS or BSLS) that fits most of your credits. COSC is the cheapest by about $2500, then EC, then TESU. So I'd choose COSC based on price and flexibility, or TESU based on the fact that there are more degrees available. It is MUCH easier to choose a degree and plan out courses than to take a bunch of courses and then try to fit them into a degree (which is almost impossible).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To add to this... and maybe someone can refresh my memory... I believe each of the Big 3 require you to complete a certain amount of credits with their intuitions in order to graduate. For example, I believe TESU requires 12 credits. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My point is, though, you'll want to consider this, as it may add to your overall costs.
Completed Degrees
ACE: M.Ed. Instructional Design and Technology
NAU: B.S. Public Administration

Degrees in Progress
ACE: Ed.D. Instructional Technology
TESU: B.A. English
(04-06-2020, 11:31 PM)hlg38 Wrote: To add to this... and maybe someone can refresh my memory... I believe each of the Big 3 require you to complete a certain amount of credits with their intuitions in order to graduate. For example, I believe TESU requires 12 credits. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My point is, though, you'll want to consider this, as it may add to your overall costs.

Nope it is only 6 credits (2 courses) for a bachelor degree at any fo the big 3. However if you are military tesu has a different policy. Also both tesu and excelsior charge a fee if you take less than a certain number of credits. Tesu is 16 meaning if you dont take at least 16 crdits with them you pay a fee. Excelsior is 12 but that do fee structures ifferently than tesu. Idk how charter oak does it. A lot of people on this fourm only do 6 credits at their school. But if you were planning on taking say 10 or more credits at tesu it would probably be worth it to ge tto 16 because this would save you money. Note that as tesu for non military teceps (tesu exam credit) dont count towarss the 16. Tesu military is different it is 12 for an Associates and 24 for a bachelors but teceps count.

The other thing to consider what school is best is do you any other prior credits or are you starting from zero?
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • hlg38
(04-06-2020, 11:47 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 11:31 PM)hlg38 Wrote: To add to this... and maybe someone can refresh my memory... I believe each of the Big 3 require you to complete a certain amount of credits with their intuitions in order to graduate. For example, I believe TESU requires 12 credits. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My point is, though, you'll want to consider this, as it may add to your overall costs.

Nope it is only 6 credits (2 courses) for a bachelor degree at any fo the big 3. 

At EC, it's now 7cr - you cannot transfer in the 1cr Info Lit course if you're enrolled after November of 2019 (I think that's the correct month).

The other thing to consider - what courses you're wanting to take.  If you want to take (or already have) a bunch of non-liberal arts courses that you'd like to bring into a degree, COSC or EC may be a better choice.  TESU's BALS only allows 27cr of Free Electives, while COSC and EC allow 60cr of Free Electives in the BSLS degrees.  You can even use those courses in your concentration.  For example, let's say that you were a Psych major in CC, and had 12cr of psych.  And then later, you went and got a certificate in management from a 4yr school and had 15cr of UL business courses, but you decided that you didn't want a BSBA.  At COSC, you could get a BSLS, have your major be Business & Psych, use those 15cr of UL in business and 12cr of LL in Psych, get 1 more course in there, and you'd have your concentration complete.  At TESU, those 15cr of UL business courses couldn't be used in the concentration, they'd be free electives, and none would count towards your UL needed in the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 117 61,585 Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Last Post: sophiadiscountcodes
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 82 Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 460 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 838 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,401 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 370 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 716 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 984 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 251 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 964 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab