Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best of these TESU degree options
Good Morning!

I've got a handful of potential majors at TESU that all accept the same amount of my transfer credits. I'm pretty open to major, but would like to be able to test out/transfer in the most credits possible. I was originally thinking about General Management, but it appears that major would actually accept far less of my existing credits.  Any feedback in the + or - column for any of the below majors would be greatly appreciated.
  • BA in Sociology
  • BA in Communications
  • BA in Philosophy
  • BA in Liberal Studies
  • BA in Labor Studies
  • BA in History
  • BA in English

Thank you.
Philosophy would have horrible test-out options.

English requires a class you cannot test out of, Non-Western Lit.

The BALS is the most generic degree, but it's very flexible so you can take subjects that are easiest for you.

I don't think you could test out of Labor Studies fully.

I think Communications still requires some non-test out courses, but someone else might know about recent course availability.

I agree with all of what @Ideas has posted. Just want to ask you if there is a specific reason why you have not listed BA-Psychology? You can completely test out of this degree.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
What career(s) are you aiming toward? You might want to do the extra work to get the BSBA or another degree that makes you more competitive or gets you into other fields. It can change your employment for decades.

(07-04-2019, 07:35 AM)Supermind Wrote: I agree with all of what @Ideas has posted. Just want to ask you if there is a specific reason why you have not listed BA-Psychology? You can completely test out of this degree.

Psychology wasn't on my list as it will accept 7 less credits from my previous studies than the majors I listed. That's the only reason I didn't include it.

(07-04-2019, 08:36 AM)Ideas Wrote: What career(s) are you aiming toward? You might want to do the extra work to get the BSBA or another degree that makes you more competitive or gets you into other fields. It can change your employment for decades.
At this point it's actually less about aiming for a career. I'm doing fine in that regard, but not having the degree is just something I'd like get off my list of liabilities. It's just something I'd like to take care of.
It depends on what you want to do.

Here are the courses that can't be earned through alternative credit:

BA in Sociology: Social Theory
BA in Communications: Mass Comm I, Mass Comm II, Comm Theory
BA in Philosophy: Probably a lot, most of the AOS, unless you already have a lot of UL Philosophy courses I wouldn't bother
BA in Liberal Studies: Nothing.
BA in Labor Studies: Probably quite a bit. Probably wouldn't bother with this one as well. Maybe CSU global has the AOS but they are $$.
BA in History: Histological Methods
BA in English: Non Western Lit. Plus UL English courses, in general, are hard to come by.

If you are trying to transfer in the most your best bets would be Sociology, Liberal Studies or History. However, given the new changes, it is actually cheaper to take 16 courses at TESU in a term than it is to transfer in mostly everything as been done in the past. Also, if money is an issue COSC and EC are cheaper and WGU is even cheaper if you want a business degree.

If you want a degree that makes the most of your credits from the list you made and money isn't an issue as much; I'd go with History. Many people on this forum have done it before so the planning is all there. The only course you gotta find is Historologial methods and it's a step above a liberal arts degree. If you really just want a degree, any degree just go with liberal arts is the easiest and most flexible. But if you just want a liberal arts degree, consider COSC or EC because they are cheaper.

It also depends on what you have, especially in terms of UL credits. If you have some UL English credits, that would be your best bet, especially if you non western lit done. Do you have any UL credits currently and what are they in?
I would advise against all of those and encourage you to choose a STEM field, even if it means a few courses don't transfer.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(07-04-2019, 08:37 AM)MINHAC Wrote: Psychology wasn't on my list as it will accept 7 less credits from my previous studies than the majors I listed. That's the only reason I didn't include it.

At this point it's actually less about aiming for a career. I'm doing fine in that regard, but not having the degree is just something I'd like get off my list of liabilities. It's just something I'd like to take care of.

7 credits is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I "lost" around 60 by doing my degree through WGU, but the degree was what I wanted. If your career is doing fine and you just want a check in the box, do a BALS.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

What courses do you have in the area of study for Philosophy? It's usually not very test-friendly at all, but might depend what courses you brought in
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(07-04-2019, 08:48 AM)natshar Wrote: Also, if money is an issue COSC and EC are cheaper and WGU is even cheaper if you want a business degree.

If you want a degree that makes the most of your credits from the list you made and money isn't an issue as much; I'd go with History. Many people on this forum have done it before so the planning is all there. The only course you gotta find is Historologial methods and it's a step above a liberal arts degree. If you really just want a degree, any degree just go with liberal arts is the easiest and most flexible. But if you just want a liberal arts degree, consider COSC or EC because they are cheaper.

It also depends on what you have, especially in terms of UL credits. If you have some UL English credits, that would be your best bet, especially if you non western lit done. Do you have any UL credits currently and what are they in?

This is great advice. Also see if COSC, EC, or WGU will give you the same or more transfer credits. Although it sounds like you don't have a lot of business core credits, so you could skip that one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,483 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 592 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 490 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 517 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,314 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 397 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 373 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az