Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best path to take in my situation?
I'm 29 no kids, I have 62 college credits. 54 from a community college and 8 from a university. The reason for this is because I lost my financial aid for my community college due to dropping all classes during the semester i was supposed to graduate. My only option was to transfer to university and hope to finish my bachelors. Well I last attended school in 2014 before also dropping all of my classes due to health reasons. I am completely healthy now and ready to finish my degree. I am looking to get a bachelors in computer science. I would like to clep as many classes as I can. Some issues are I owe my university about 6k so I can't get my transcript from them. Is it possible for me to get into one of the big three without it? I can get my community college transcript which i have most of my credits from. I am wondering whats the general path to getting a bachelors in cs given my circumstances? If I must get my transcript from my university then lets assume i pay the 6k off, where do I go from here? Also I have attached my transcript from community college hoping it would be helpful in suggesting the best university given the classes I took and my gpa.

Attached Files
.png   Transcript.png (Size: 76.04 KB / Downloads: 33)
Well your transcript says only earned 54 credits are community college. Any "W" grade won't be accepted.

Thomas Edison offers a computer science degree, you could start looking there.
Theres 54 credits on the transcript. But I fo agree with going with TESU and maybe doing the free credit courses, study.com or a few of the others.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

You will need to resolve the issues with your university. Those courses will appear in your credit registry record and TESU will require a transcript. Generally, there is no way to get around paying off a school debt if you want a legitimate degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-30-2018, 11:11 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Theres 54 credits on the transcript. But I fo agree with going with TESU and maybe doing the free credit courses, study.com or a few of the others.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What are some of the free credit courses? Also is there a link to someone whos done the cs path at tesu while clepping as many courses as possible?
Like Merlin said, you will have to pay off the money to your previous school before any legitimate school will allow you to enroll.  But, you can take alternative credits towards the degree while you save up the money to pay off your debt.

I have a TESU BA-CS degree plan, although I'm not at all certain how to do the Area of Study (AOS - major) for the degree.  There are some courses that can't be tested out of, and it doesn't look like you have the credits to get that going.  I also have a degree plan for WGU.

WGU won't take most of your courses, so you might be the one in a million who would do better at TESU.  But maybe not.  It really just depends on whether or not you can find a couple of inexpensive courses that you need for the degree (Data Structures, Intro to Programming), and whether the courses I have listed in the AOS as electives will work for the degree.  Others on here might be able to help with that.

One thing you could consider doing is kind of combining your credits for both degree plans, and get through as much as you can that will apply towards both before making a decision. Like, you could take Study.com's Bio + Lab and then a physical science (chem, astronomy, physics) to cover the bases for both TESU's science and GE Electives, and WGU's science (you'd actually have an extra since they won't want Bio - but they need that lab).  You could take Speech, Ethics in Technology, MIS, Database Mgmt, etc. and plus those into both degree plans.  Eventually, you'd have a single path, and could figure out what to do from there.

Also, if you can find Data Structures at your local CC (I'm assuming you live in CA and it's cheap), that would be a great way to save a lot of money.  I plugged it in for $1098 at TESU, so to cut that price to $150 would lower the cost of the degree a lot.

Attached Files
.pdf   ImAllLike TESU 2016 BA CS.pdf (Size: 61.36 KB / Downloads: 18)
.pdf   ImAllLike WGU-BS in CS.pdf (Size: 54.01 KB / Downloads: 8)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-01-2018, 02:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [...]
WGU won't take most of your courses, so you might be the one in a million who would do better at TESU.  But maybe not.  It really just depends on whether or not you can find a couple of inexpensive courses that you need for the degree (Data Structures, Intro to Programming), and whether the courses I have listed in the AOS as electives will work for the degree.  Others on here might be able to help with that.
[...]

The OnlineDegree.com "Computer Science: Intro to Programming" course will fulfill the Intro to Programming requirement for the BACS at TESU. But Data Structures doesn't have an alternative education option. I have no idea whether WGU will accept it though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
There are some schools that will let you enroll, but they won't let you graduate until they receive all your transcripts. Colorado Technical University is one of them, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-01-2018, 01:11 AM)Merlin Wrote: You will need to resolve the issues with your university. Those courses will appear in your credit registry record and TESU will require a transcript. Generally, there is no way to get around paying off a school debt if you want a legitimate degree.
I believe TESU won't insist on it until graduation time, so you could get started, at least. as @defrecore said, you can certainly work on alternative credits while you're working things out.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Okay 2 last questions are of the 120 needed to get the BA in Computer science how many of those can you test out of? Also for Tesu do they give you as long as you need for each class you take there? Or is there a 12-15 week semester time limit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US ill13 12 699 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 412 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
  Requesting Feedback on Best Degree Path turnitloud 3 327 01-24-2024, 09:48 PM
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 236 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Advice on Degree path Kirpow1010 26 2,079 12-02-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Kirpow1010
  Looking for Quickest and cheapest path to a BS in Business fozzy3o 24 1,737 10-12-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: fozzy3o
  Is Computer Science the best path? Please help! MJ75 11 758 10-09-2023, 11:32 AM
  Quickest Path to a Computer Science or Math Degree juiceboxguy42 10 1,403 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
  I Have 124 Credits - Need Help Figuring out the Most Efficient Path for a Degree jacobvanhelden 22 1,254 09-27-2023, 05:53 PM
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,426 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963