Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Big 3" degree value?
grauwulf Wrote:Harvard even accepts 12 credits of CLEP.

hilarious I love it!!! I am totally going to use this next time anyone questions CLEP.

cookderosa Wrote:Respectfully, I think you are on the wrong site. Not because you want to learn but because you are very concerned with the perception of your college. There's nothing wrong with that. However, the name of the degree, the ranking, the employer's perception, and not using testing or online classes makes you a traditional college student seeking a traditional experience. No judgments, that's just the polar opposite of this board.

I think almost everyone that discovers the idea of testing out of a degree goes through a period of time where they question the validity of a Big 3 degree. I am not sure I would have believed it could be done if my brother weren't a COSC alum with a masters and now working on a doctorate. I don't know how people doing this actually take the leap of faith if they've never met a successful graduate who earned their degree this way.

I agree that this isn't the right site for someone who puts school name and/or reputation at the top of their list for choosing a school. I just interpreted his questions to be more of a "I can't believe that you can get a degree through CLEP! Are you sure that these aren't diploma mills?" -type questions. Hopefully MA2 will pop back on to clarify.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
grauwulf Wrote:Food for thought. Most, if not all, 'traditional' colleges & universities allow you to use a certain amount of testing credit. I've been to two University of Maryland schools, both allow for a significant amount of clep/dsst type credit.

As an FYI to the 'rankings' part of the question. UMBC is ranked as the #1 'up and coming' college in the US News survey and is VERY well regarded in the fields of math and computer science. UMBC allows AP/CLEP/IB/EC credit (dsst too I think) A maximum of 60 credits may be earned through CLEP, AB or IB Examinations.

UMUC is the mostly online extension college of the UM system and will accept up to 60 credits aswell.

Harvard even accepts 12 credits of CLEP.

Point: As long as the school is accredited, nobody really cares how you got your credits. The "big 3" are accredited, they just let you use more testing credit than other schools.

My 27 DSST credits have saved me approximately $6,000 and 3 semesters.

Excellent points- worth a second read.

Even at your state college, if your tuition is $200 per credit, and you take 30 CLEP credits, you are investing $400-$800 (depends on number of exams needed to get those credits, will range from 5-10) for classes that would have cost you $6000 in tuition and 10 classes worth of books at ~$100-$200 each, for another $1000-$2000. So, you could into saving SERIOUS money using your college's CLEP to the maximum. For me, it was about the money, not the time. I get that for some it's about the time. CLEP saves both.

$120 credits at $200 per credit = $24,000
books for 40 courses (~$130) = $5,200
fees, etc. There's hardly a chance to obtain a BA for under $30,000

Here is one way to earn 100 credits for $1,360:
CLEP gen ed exams: 5 @ 6 credits each, $80 each = $400 (30 credits)
CLEP/DSST subject exams: 11 @ 3 credits each, $80 each = $880 (33 credits)
FEMA free courses: 25 @ 1 credit each = $0 (25 credits)
ALEKS math courses: 4 @ 3 credits each, $20 each = $80 (12 credits)

And, just to emphasize it again, CLEP is not for online schools, online education is something entirely different. You can do butt-in-seat with your CLEPs and earn your degree in your town. It just depends on what you want to do and what your needs are. YMMV
cookderosa Wrote:Respectfully, I think you are on the wrong site. Not because you want to learn but because you are very concerned with the perception of your college. There's nothing wrong with that. However, the name of the degree, the ranking, the employer's perception, and not using testing or online classes makes you a traditional college student seeking a traditional experience. No judgments, that's just the polar opposite of this board.

Is that a serious comment?

Do you dress up when you go to a job interview? Do you do your best to speak intelligently during the interview, and show that you're the right person for the job? What's that called again? Oh yea, perception. You want that person to perceive you as the right candidate for the job. So obviously I am concerned with it. I have taken CLEPs as my signature shows, and have taken online classes.

So because I am worried that a potential employer may view my online school as a "degree mill" means I'm on the wrong site?

Seems a lot smarter to look in to it now, rather than waiting till after I finish the degree. Do a little research now and save a lot of pains later... kind of like a CLEP exam.... imagine that. If you were competing against someone for a job, and that person went to Harvard and you went to UofP online, do you really think that employer cares what degree he has? Or his GPA, what classes he took or CLEP'd etc?

No, he sees that person went to Harvard and that's pretty much that, your UofP degree is useless. So yes, I do care how an employer would view my degree, because if he or she views it as worthless and I don't even get an interview, I just wasted my time and money.
Also, how come no one on here takes classes with University of Phoenix?

Because a lot of hiring managers -perceive- that school to be a "diploma mill."

Whether it is or not is irrelevant. Whether you learned a lot there or not is irrelevant. If people view it as a degree mill then for all intents and purposes it is one until society accepts it as otherwise.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
MA2 Wrote:No, he sees that person went to Harvard and that's pretty much that, your UofP degree is useless. So yes, I do care how an employer would view my degree, because if he or she views it as worthless and I don't even get an interview, I just wasted my time and money.

Perfectly legitimate point, but you also need to understand that this doesn't apply to the vast portion of the job market.

If you're attempting to break into one of the Big 5 accounting firms, then yes.. the place you earn your accounting degree will most likely matter a great deal. If all things are even between you and the competing candidate, he (or she) who goes to the better institution will probably get the job. That's why people pay those sky-high prices for tuition.

Now if you're not specifically targeting one of those firms and you just want to get a job as an accountant, as long as it's regionally accredited and the school hasn't been plastered all over the news for being a sham, it likely doesn't matter to prospective employers. If you can get past the interview, you're likely in.

One other exception to this rule is at a local university. If you plan on settling somewhere like Baton Rouge and getting that accounting job, a degree from LSU will probably have more impact than it otherwise would. There's a bit of local pride involved.

All depends on what your goals are.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
MA2 Wrote:Is that a serious comment?

Do you dress up when you go to a job interview? Do you do your best to speak intelligently during the interview, and show that you're the right person for the job? What's that called again? Oh yea, perception. You want that person to perceive you as the right candidate for the job. So obviously I am concerned with it. I have taken CLEPs as my signature shows, and have taken online classes.

So because I am worried that a potential employer may view my online school as a "degree mill" means I'm on the wrong site?

Seems a lot smarter to look in to it now, rather than waiting till after I finish the degree. Do a little research now and save a lot of pains later... kind of like a CLEP exam.... imagine that. If you were competing against someone for a job, and that person went to Harvard and you went to UofP online, do you really think that employer cares what degree he has? Or his GPA, what classes he took or CLEP'd etc?

No, he sees that person went to Harvard and that's pretty much that, your UofP degree is useless. So yes, I do care how an employer would view my degree, because if he or she views it as worthless and I don't even get an interview, I just wasted my time and money.

You should probably attend Harvard. The courses that I took there were the best of the best. Harvard Home
MA2 Wrote:Hmmm, interesting. I'm going to look in to it further... would be nice to take some traditional classes though so I can get the full GI bill living stipend while in school, instead of the half you get for taking all online classes.

I'm guessing accounting or finance isn't a degree where you can CLEP very many credits besides the general education requirements though.

Is one of them more renown for business/accounting/finance degrees?

For Accounting/Finance you have to take most of your concentration (the Accounting part of the business degree) through another school. It's a case where I might suggest a F2F program. For Accounting I would get a business degree you can get quickly (perhaps, even a Big 3 degree) and take a local post baccalaureate accounting program.

The beauty of the Big 3 is time cost quality are in your hands. The socially constructed value around "brand" doesn't exist; if you're at a business lunch with 3 guys who went to the big school in the state, a big 3 degree leaves you with not much to talk about. Of course, moving may do the same thing. Unless you want or need a top school, a Big 3 degree is a cost-effective option with reasonably high utility. If you have a lot of credit already they are great: get the BS and make your mark in grad school. On the other hand, several state schools have online or blended programs with relatively low residency, take some credit by exam, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Eastern Oregon University, Chadron State College, and U Wyoming Laramie are just a few that come to mind. Then you have a degree where you know recruiters will nod their heads and pay attention to your other attributes.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
MA2, I'd stick up for you, but the world seems to cave in on itself whenever I do for anyone. The thing is, there are a lot people on this site who get upset when a new commer asks a legitimate question. My advice is to just ignore it and glean whatever information you can in their posts. If worse comes to worse, you can try the search feature or PM someone who is nice enough to help.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

and here I thought this was a civil conversation Sad
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Maniac Craniac Wrote:MA2, I'd stick up for you, but the world seems to cave in on itself whenever I do for anyone. The thing is, there are a lot people on this site who get upset when a new commer asks a legitimate question. My advice is to just ignore it and glean whatever information you can in their posts. If worse comes to worse, you can try the search feature or PM someone who is nice enough to help.

Oh Maniac you know we all love you here Smile I think it might be your avatar pic... lol
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader