Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Big 3" degree value?
MA2 Wrote:Yea I know they don't really check what classes or CLEPs you took, just that you have such-and-such a degree.

I'm just a little nervous is all... I failed out of college the first time, I was 18, working 55 hours a week to pay for school (didn't want student loans) and was too immature for everything and I eventually cracked.

Now I'm about to be 24, and spent 4 years in the Navy so school is paid for now, I have no debt of any kind, some emergency money in the bank, and I'll be making $1530 a month just off the GI bill housing allowance and the reserves paycheck I'll be getting.

I wouldn't want to flunk out again because I'm an idiot or end up wasting my time at a state school when I could get the same education at an online school in half the time, etc etc.

MA2/USN

Don't be nervous!! I'm almost 35 and have failed at getting a college degree multiple times. I work full time, travel frequently for business and have five kids. I NEVER thought I would be able to do this. I just didn't think I could! Now... I still don't believe it, but from 24 to 97 credits since June, I have totally amazed myself!!!

You can do it!! This forum helps so much. Everyone here always answers every question that comes up and you'll not only get tips on the best study resources, but also degree planning etc..

Edit to add: I think as you get older, it gets easier. You are more mature and certain topics get more interesting. I don't think I could have taken a single business course at age 18 for example. At 24 you're still way ahead of the game! There are tons of people at 24 that have been in school for years, haven't gotten their degree yet, but have accumulated TONS of debt.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
MA2 Wrote:I also don't like how the degrees say "Bachelors in business with a concentration in ________" or am I just being picky?
That's fairly common for a Bachelor in Business. However, each of the Big Three names it differently.

Thomas Edison: BSBA* in Accounting

*Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

Charter Oak: Bachelor of Science with a concentration in Business Administration

Excelsior: Bachelor of Science in Business with concentration in Accounting
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

burbuja0512 Wrote:If you do a search, you'll see a ton of posts about this same question. I think Shotojuku has the best reply with a rating system for colleges... hopefully he'll pop up here.

I used the search feature and I couldn't find much... I must not be typing in the right terms.

What's a reliable free college ranking site? The Princeton Review is the only one that comes to mind... I hate when they include "Parties" or "Social life" as part of a schools review on some sites. Some of us actually go to learn, not get smashed every night and squeak by with a C+.
MA2 Wrote:I used the search feature and I couldn't find much... I must not be typing in the right terms.

What's a reliable free college ranking site? The Princeton Review is the only one that comes to mind... I hate when they include "Parties" or "Social life" as part of a schools review on some sites. Some of us actually go to learn, not get smashed every night and squeak by with a C+.

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...light=gold - I found one of Shotojuku's college-rating posts. See post #7 in this thread.

Regarding sites that do college ratings.. I'm not sure that I would bother unless you want to be disappointed. None of the Big 3 are well-known, or at least any more than any other small state colleges would be. I think that TESC is rated as the 2nd most popular school in the country for learners above 25 by US News and World Report, but not sure what that means.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Hmmm.... interesting way to look at it I suppose.

Never really thought regionally accredited vs. nationally accredited just boils down to what school accepts another schools credits....
I've never faced discrimination specifically for my degree from TESC but have heard, in conversations with hiring managers, that some bemoan on-line degrees in general. Of course, to my knowledge, these folks all had gone the B&M route. One thing I would recommend is, if you're going to go for a masters after a big 3 degree, make it from a B&M school that offers distance learning. The better known, the better. There are many that offer in-state tuition rates for on-line only students.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
bawhitsett Wrote:I've never faced discrimination specifically for my degree from TESC but have heard, in conversations with hiring managers, that some bemoan on-line degrees in general. Of course, to my knowledge, these folks all had gone the B&M route. One thing I would recommend is, if you're going to go for a masters after a big 3 degree, make it from a B&M school that offers distance learning. The better known, the better. There are many that offer in-state tuition rates for on-line only students.

I've heard this too, which is a shame, considering how hard online learning can be. I have really only heard it said about UoP, which is a good school.. just has kind of a stigma. I don't think that any of the Big 3 are well known as distance learning schools. It can be said of COSC and TESC that they are just "small state colleges back east" and Excelsior is a small private school in NY. Either way, they're in the category of most colleges I'll see on a resume... nothing special, but fill in the check box.

On a post a while back, I used Colorado College as an example of one reason the big 3 is a good choice. Can't seem to locate my comments, but here's the point:

Colorado College - Best College - Education - US News Colorado College is ranked 26th on this particular list. Have you heard of it? I live an hour away from it and only heard of it because a friend went there. However, they're charging almost 40k a year! So, you could go there and if you're lucky enough to finish in four years, you would graduate from a relatively unknown, yet "ranked" college for 160k.

If you take a look at the list, many very expensive, and I'm sure top quality schools are crazy expensive, and their name won't help you get a job. So, IMHO unless you are in a well-known Ivy league, it's just not worth the money.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
MA2 Wrote:I hear a lot of people talking about getting degrees from the "Big 3" especially by testing out of a lot of the credits.

Excelsior, Thomas Edison State College and Charter Oak...

How are these degrees regarded by employers when compared to a "regular" 4 year degree?

I know a lot of people on here go for these "big 3" online schools so you will probably be biased, but I was just wondering and I can't really find any reliable information online.

So if I got a degree from a traditional public college, like Virginia State University for example, in accounting, how would this compare to an accounting degree from one of the "big 3?"

Thanks

MA2/USN

I have yet to finish out a degree online, but did have my own successful business for over 1 1/2 years before deciding to sell it (a little profit and more time with family). That being said, the relationships I built during this time allowed me to ask this same question to people from all kinds of different fields, including some HR reps.

The majority said a degree is the first foot in the door and the rest is experience based. Where the degree came from was not too much of a concern. Just as long as it was accredited.

Some jobs really don't require any prior experience, but a degree equals higher starting pay. Local police, firefighting, insurance, sales based jobs.

Also, there are many people out there that have their money tied up in many different business ventures and need help running these businesses from college educated people. If you can find these people, you'd be surprised at how they can really work to your advantage in building a resume or allowing your skill set to rapidly develop post college. These types really like to keep multiple jobs "in-house." As a result, one could get considerable experience in various activities, such as bookkeeping, management, sales, advertising, budget analysis, etc.
MA2 Wrote:I used the search feature and I couldn't find much... I must not be typing in the right terms.

Respectfully, I think you are on the wrong site. Not because you want to learn but because you are very concerned with the perception of your college. There's nothing wrong with that. However, the name of the degree, the ranking, the employer's perception, and not using testing or online classes makes you a traditional college student seeking a traditional experience. No judgments, that's just the polar opposite of this board.
Food for thought. Most, if not all, 'traditional' colleges & universities allow you to use a certain amount of testing credit. I've been to two University of Maryland schools, both allow for a significant amount of clep/dsst type credit.

As an FYI to the 'rankings' part of the question. UMBC is ranked as the #1 'up and coming' college in the US News survey and is VERY well regarded in the fields of math and computer science. UMBC allows AP/CLEP/IB/EC credit (dsst too I think) A maximum of 60 credits may be earned through CLEP, AB or IB Examinations.

UMUC is the mostly online extension college of the UM system and will accept up to 60 credits aswell.

Harvard even accepts 12 credits of CLEP.

Point: As long as the school is accredited, nobody really cares how you got your credits. The "big 3" are accredited, they just let you use more testing credit than other schools.

My 27 DSST credits have saved me approximately $6,000 and 3 semesters.
B.S. Comp Studies - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information Assurance - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information & Network Security - UMBC Training Centers (June/2010)
A.A. Information Technology - Programming (May/2010)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEH, CHFI, Sec+, Linux+, iNet+, Project+, SCJP, SCWCD, CIW

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader