Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Gates' 11 things no one will teach you in school
I was recently on a college campus with my daughter and ran across this poster ... we both got a good laugh at his profound insight:

Bill Gates on 11 things no one will teach or learn at school --
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem... The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both..

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault , so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time..

Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life... In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs..

Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
Cheri ~ Homeschooling to College facilitator
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
I agree with every single one of those except number 5. Flipping burgers is indeed beneath me, just like it was when I graduated High School. So instead I joined the Navy and cleaned toilets in exotic locations around the world. Obviously, I showed him.

Bill Gates: 40,000,000,000
Me: 1

Score one for me, but I'm still catching up. Anyway, good post!
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
GREAT STUFF!! :iagree:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:GREAT STUFF!! :iagree:

I agree with #11 "be nice to nerds", which is why I carry my coke bottle glasses and my pocket protector everywhere. Now I just wish I was smart.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:I agree with every single one of those except number 5. Flipping burgers is indeed beneath me, just like it was when I graduated High School. So instead I joined the Navy and cleaned toilets in exotic locations around the world. Obviously, I showed him.

Bill Gates: 40,000,000,000
Me: 1

Score one for me, but I'm still catching up. Anyway, good post!

lol, rooting for ya!

cate
BS (UMUC) in 2010, 30+ years in the making!!

Intro to Computing 63
Astronomy 63
Technical Writing 62
Principles of Mgt 71
Principles of Marketing 68
Substance Abuse 467
College Math 56
Principles of Finance 425
Principles of Statistics 458

Exams: ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

GRADUATION--UMUC--MAY 15, 2010 (unbelievable)
Haha, I love this!! Smile
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
C. S. Lewis

~Passed: CLEP A&I Literature, Introductory Psychology, US History 1, US History 2, English Comp w/ Essay, American Literature, English Literature, Social Sciences & History, Humanities, Introductory Sociology, Human Growth & Development, Educational Psychology, Western Civilizations I,
In the queue:
CLEP-College Mathematics, Western Civilization 2, Natural Sciences, Spanish, Principles Of Management, Principles of Marketing-
Dantes: Introduction to Computing, Introduction to World Religions, Technical Writing, Principles Of Public Speaking
This is awesome! I especially love number 8. Totally hit the nail on the head. But, hey, he's Bill Gates - guess that just comes with the territory.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
He's dead right.
Thankfully I never went to a public school but I have dealt with public school kids in Boy Scouts and they are (many of them, not all of them) some of the most depressing glimpses of our future you will ever see.

No. 1 is my favorite:hurray:
[SIZE="1"]
BSBA Gen'l Management-TESC

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
Western Civ I&II-62,58 respectively
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Natural Sciences-51:confused:
Humanities-62
Macro&Micro Eco-66,68 respectively
Social Sciences and History-54
Principles of Marketing-66
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
Human Growth & Development-63
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
English Comp w/essay-62:hurray:
BizLaw-67

DSST's completed: P of Supervision-452, Orgz'l Behavior-73, HRM-60, Intro to Business-449, Intro to comp'ing-429, MIS-446, M&B-59, P of Finance-427, P of Financial Accounting-64, BizLaw2- 68, Biz Ethics-

ALEK's courses completed:
Pre-calculus
Introduction to Statistics

TECEP's:
Public Relations Thought & Practice
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

Hours so far = [SIZE="4"]123[/SIZE]
Ha, clean toilets in exotic locations :roflol: but are you kidding Janus? In this economy there are no honest jobs below my dignity if I was unemployed!

Besides I never understood ripping on fast food (I'm referring to people in general, not Janus), I worked at a solid performing fast food store and it was one of the harder jobs I've had, and if a job requires significant effort it's dignified in my book. Definitely more difficult than fixing computers (I spend most of my time waiting for windows to reload or running scans or finding software, etc, etc). I've gained 15 pounds since I got my certs and quit fast food (and then I was eating two meals of pure heart failure a day).

As for public schools, I went to a private and public school and at least the kids in public schools knew how to take care of themselves and interact with the real world--the private school kids were spoiled (more of them got A grades, but only because their parents were monetarily invested and grounded them for Bs). The public school kids may not have the income later in life, but I would rather live or work with the average public school kid than private school kid any day. Although this is sampling from a whole three total schools I attended in high school a handful of years ago. I'll be the first to admit my opinion is skewed.

Cheers!
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
There's one thing Mr. Gates forgot to mention that is definitely not taught in schools:

How to steal the idea for a graphical operating system and mouse from your competitor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Congress Passes a TikTok Ban Bill LevelUP 25 1,710 04-20-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Rule: Whoa, Canada | Real Time with Bill Maher LevelUP 3 151 04-14-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  I Will Teach You How to See Jesus in 30 Seconds LevelUP 1 251 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,277 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,581 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Gen Z in the workforce - 3 things.. bjcheung77 20 2,027 03-28-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,747 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Finding Pictures of Odd Things Thread Vle045 17 1,342 04-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 918 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy