Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology/Public Health/Environmental Health Programs
(01-02-2018, 11:09 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 10:59 PM)sanantone Wrote: Austin is a relatively expensive city for Texas. I wouldn't be able to afford my own apartment if I worked part-time. Even if I moved back to San Antonio, which has cheaper rent, it wouldn't work either because the wages are significantly lower there. And, as Dfrecore said, it appears that you have to stop working to complete the clinical rotations. The mental health field is different. While the post-graduation internships are longer (they're usually paid anyway), the practicums that are part of the degree program can usually be completed on a part-time basis. I have a coworker who is in a social work program.

The cost of Yale's distance physician assistant program is astronomical. For the 28-month program, the estimated cost of attendance is $97,300! University of Wisconsin's distance PA program is $157k just for the tuition! If being a physician assistant qualified for student loan repayment, then it would be worth it, but it's not. It makes more sense to go the nurse practitioner route since it's cheaper, and there is a student loan repayment program.

This is one of the best deals in the Army.  Fort Sam Houston, TX...............FREE/they pay you!

To become a physician assistant in the Army, you must:
  • Be a US citizen.

• Be at least 21 years of age and less than 48 years of age 
http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/army_pa_qualifications.shtml

Due a structural issue in my nose that makes long distance running difficult, I do not medically qualify for the armed forces. I would need surgery to correct it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Yenisei
I was looking at the AllNurses forum, and it looks like a lot of them worked as hospital nurse assistants or patient care technicians while in school. Many worked PRN and only worked full-time while on breaks. The hospitals were usually understanding of their clinical schedules. But, if you don't have a roommate, live-in significant other, or spouse, then it's risky. It doesn't sound like a steady stream of income, and you'll have to depend on student loans to supplement your income.

If I got into USPHS, I would qualify for the GI Bill, but that's a long shot.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Well, I can practically guarantee that it won't get easier to pare living expenses down with time. If you can stomach a roommate situation and get such a job, that's what I'd do.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Sounds like you need a career change. I'm not sure of your situation but I agree to just do something if can. Might suck for a year or two but time flies. If you will truly be happy in a new role than go for it. You sound debt averse as I am and understand but sometimes you have to bite the bullet for big changes. You seem like you know what you want but as someone who has worked in healthcare please be sure. I have seen numerous people leave earlier into their careers and even while in school when they see the reality of clinical work. It's a great and rewarding field but it also taxes people emotionally and physically. I say this not discourage anyone but I have seen many people waste time and money on a career they didn't know the realities of. High nursing turnover is a real issue. I usually recommend people to enter the medical field as a PA. Unlike the allied health fields, PAs have more career and earning potential. However, there are good roles in nursing and if you get a good skill you can bounce over to the dark side and be a medical device rep. You seem to know what you would be getting into so good luck if go all in.
(01-04-2018, 09:16 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Sounds like you need a career change. I'm not sure of your situation but I agree to just do something if can. Might suck for a year or two but time flies. If you will truly be happy in a new role than go for it. You sound debt averse as I am and understand but sometimes you have to bite the bullet for big changes. You seem like you know what you want but as someone who has worked in healthcare please be sure. I have seen numerous people leave earlier into their careers and even while in school when they see the reality of clinical work. It's a great and rewarding field but it also taxes people emotionally and physically. I say this not discourage anyone but I have seen many people waste time and money on a career they didn't know the realities of. High nursing turnover is a real issue. I usually recommend people to enter the medical field as a PA. Unlike the allied health fields, PAs have more career and earning potential. However, there are good roles in nursing and if you get a good skill you can bounce over to the dark side and be a medical device rep. You seem to know what you would be getting into so good luck if go all in.

Thank you. My aim is to become a nurse practitioner, not only because it would be cheaper and won't require moving and quitting my job, but also because nurse practitioners can practice indepently. There is also the student loan repayment program that is not available to PAs.

In order to be competitive for an NP or PA program, I would have to gain clinical experience. PA programs require it, and NP programs usually require a letter of recommendation from a healthcare professional. Excelsior's nursing program requires 200 hours of paid work experience as an LVN or paramedic.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(01-04-2018, 10:04 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 09:16 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Sounds like you need a career change. I'm not sure of your situation but I agree to just do something if can. Might suck for a year or two but time flies. If you will truly be happy in a new role than go for it. You sound debt averse as I am and understand but sometimes you have to bite the bullet for big changes. You seem like you know what you want but as someone who has worked in healthcare please be sure. I have seen numerous people leave earlier into their careers and even while in school when they see the reality of clinical work. It's a great and rewarding field but it also taxes people emotionally and physically. I say this not discourage anyone but I have seen many people waste time and money on a career they didn't know the realities of. High nursing turnover is a real issue. I usually recommend people to enter the medical field as a PA. Unlike the allied health fields, PAs have more career and earning potential. However, there are good roles in nursing and if you get a good skill you can bounce over to the dark side and be a medical device rep. You seem to know what you would be getting into so good luck if go all in.

Thank you. My aim is to become a nurse practitioner, not only because it would be cheaper and won't require moving and quitting my job, but also because nurse practitioners can practice indepently. There is also the student loan repayment program that is not available to PAs.

In order to be competitive for an NP or PA program, I would have to gain clinical experience. PA programs require it, and NP programs usually require a letter of recommendation from a healthcare professional. Excelsior's nursing program requires 200 hours of paid work experience as an LVN or paramedic.
NPs do have it better than PA for autonomy. One clinic I know only hires NP because they can do more while one Dr. stated they do not hire PAs because they have to be on the same physical premise or give more oks to order tests etc. The only issue with NP is you also have to do an RN AND gain a few years of clinical experience. I suppose if you take your time you will have little to no debt....just a long road. I looked at many midlevel healthcare fields and decided to skip the debt and time. If I had no family depending on me, I probably would have gone the PA route. I am now looking into health informatics as my experience in healthcare can be combined with my tech interests.
I'm really enjoying this conversation.

To the OP, I completely understand your frustration. I have a BA in the Fine Arts. It served me well for quite a number of years. But as I aged not having enough $$ started to become a real issue. I also had two close friends with whom I graduated with. We remained close over the years and all eventually chose to try and make a career change. One enrolled in the University of Michigan Accelerated Nursing program. The other attended a community college RN program. I opted to go school for Masters in Counseling. Long story short, both my friends are nurses now and loving it. They make really good livings. I had to dump the graduate program due to illness and can't really afford to move back and start it again.

I wish I'd done the RN program because now I see that Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners do very damned well for themselves. I didn't know it was a career option or I would have done it! I can't really offer advice on what you should do. But I'm following this thread and looking forward to seeing what you decide.
Have you investigated direct entry NP programs at all? I believe Ohio State University has a direct entry NP program, and some of their specialties can be completed partially online (no nursing program is going to be 100% online - you have to gain clinical skills and experience somewhere - but some programs are more flexible than others).

I've personally ended up enrolled in a local on-campus RN program, because the logistics of some of the "short-cuts" or alternative routes just weren't reasonable from my perspective. There just isn't a quick and easy way to being a nurse, or any other medical professional for that matter.

Finances-wise, have you also investigated the National Health Services Corps and the Nurse Corps? I believe they have both scholarships and loan repayment options. I believe the PHSCC also has a scholarship and/or loan repayment program? I'm not usually an advocate for student loan debt, but nursing is one of the few fields where the math usually adds up - low unemployment (I believe it's less than 1% for NPs), decent to good pay that's proportional to academic investment... Even if you don't get into a governmental position immediately or at all, many civilian hospitals and other employers offer loan repayment as one of their benefits.
If you’re in Austin, have you considered the alternate entry MSN at UT?

https://nursing.utexas.edu/academics/gr_degree.html

I’ve been looking at several different direct entry nursing masters or DNP programs. Many do limit your ability to work for a portion of the program, though. It might just be a sacrifice that’s easier to make peace with than trying to find workarounds. Can you save some living expenses before starting?
I've looked at University of Texas. I really can't quit my job, and all of the direct-entry MSN programs would require that. Rent is expensive everywhere in the Austin Metro Area. I've completely ruled out nursing unless I get into USPHS because I would, then, get the GI Bill. In the meantime, I'm stuck in the criminal justice field.

I did receive an email on the Nurse Corps scholarship application. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be accepted to a nursing program in time. The monthly stipend is also very low.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 605 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 501 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 18,069 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 229 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,668 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 439 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 625 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  New Master of Public Health at ACE $9225 Vle045 40 4,109 01-23-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,680 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,487 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77