Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology and Language Classes?
Hello,

So everyone on the thread seems to say that taking Biology on study.com ahead of time is the way to go. Has anyone taken Bio with UMPI and can give there experience though? Because it's a subject I struggle with and I don't have a lot of confidence that I could pass it on study.com. 

My other question was about a language class. Has anyone taken a language class with UMPI? I already know a good amount of French and thought about taking CLEP or doing Instant Cert's Spanish, but was curious how UMPI's class is structured.

Thanks!
Ashkir did take UMPI's bio class and it was a disaster. He has a thread on here about it. It is a lot of work and a lot of labs. Study.com is MUCH easier and it's a virtual lab.

I took Spanish 1 at UMPI. I highly recommend taking it on InstantCert. It's easier to transfer it because you have to write an essay in Spanish for the course along with answering questions in Spanish in the Milestones throughout the course. You also have to answer questions in Spanish and record your voice for the Final Assessment. InstantCert is an exam that's easier and you don't have to do any speaking.
(11-08-2021, 04:35 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Ashkir did take UMPI's bio class and it was a disaster. He has a thread on here about it. It is a lot of work and a lot of labs. Study.com is MUCH easier and it's a virtual lab.

I took Spanish 1 at UMPI. I highly recommend taking it on InstantCert. It's easier to transfer it because you have to write an essay in Spanish for the course along with answering questions in Spanish in the Milestones throughout the course. You also have to answer questions in Spanish and record your voice for the Final Assessment. InstantCert is an exam that's easier and you don't have to do any speaking.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to find Ashkir's thread on it. That's good to know about the language class based on this knowledge I think I could easily pass the basic French class no problem.
(11-08-2021, 05:27 PM)jaceapollo Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 04:35 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Ashkir did take UMPI's bio class and it was a disaster. He has a thread on here about it. It is a lot of work and a lot of labs. Study.com is MUCH easier and it's a virtual lab.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to find Ashkir's thread on it. That's good to know about the language class based on this knowledge I think I could easily pass the basic French class no problem.

After reading up on the person who was fluent in Spanish and got dinged because they actually knew too much (IIRC), I'd take the CLEP or and ACTFL exam.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I thought the person was fluent in French? Regardless, yes, they got in trouble for using words and/or verb forms not directly taught in the class. Take the CLEP or ACTFL.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you're familiar with the subject, yes, I agree, the exams from ACTFL and CLEP would be most appealing. Having said that, if you're X years from using that language since high school and you've forgotten most of the subject material learned, then maybe taking the ICC or Study.com Spanish courses would be more beneficial for retaining/reviewing the information. Since you're taking Biology with Lab at Study.com, you should take an extra course, select the Spanish I option as you get 2 exams/month.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Actually having a Facebook Messenger conversation with someone doing the physical parts. Their owl pellet arrived squished and all the bones were shattered and she can't even make sense of any of them. I feel so bad Sad

The biology was tough as nails. Do it elsewhere.

(11-09-2021, 02:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I thought the person was fluent in French? Regardless, yes, they got in trouble for using words and/or verb forms not directly taught in the class. Take the CLEP or ACTFL.

I took 2 years of French in high school and knew way more than what was in the YourPace program and didn't get dinged for it.
I recommend starting with the ACTFL to see how you do. The ACTFL is 5 separate exams, two oral options (a live oral option over the phone, and a computer version) and one each in listening, writing, and reading. You sign up individually and can retake after 90 days if you want to try for a higher score. Start with the area where you think you have the highest skill. Watch the youtube videos on what to expect and be sure to take the practice exam offered on the ACTFL site so that you are familiar with what is going to happen. Once the test starts things move very quickly and if you are lost on what to do losing a few points for your confusion could be the difference between no credit and 3 credits. Listening and Reading are the least expensive- $51 each. You sign up here: https://www.languagetesting.com/ and Here is a chart of how much ACE credit you get for each test based on your score: https://www.languagetesting.com/credit-r...ssessments
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • neutrino
As a note, you don't have to do ALL of the ACTFL exams. You only need 3 language credits. Just passing one ACTFL exam will get you that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • neutrino
I strongly recommend ACFTL exam. I took Reading section for Russian, but the structure of the exam is the same for all languages. You need to read ~15 short texts and answer 1 multiple choice question for every text. The exam is adaptive, is instantly graded, and ACE badge is issued automatically.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • neutrino

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What accounting classes require exams or paper? I have 11 classes left Sarajane 6 295 04-14-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: anthony3070
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,025 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 305 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which BUS Classes would be the quickest tombbraider 4 436 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 396 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Failed classes prissy1pris 9 1,119 01-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TammaraOligschlaeger
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,381 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study vs UMPI BUS Classes klone 4 754 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 1,008 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Recommended classes to take mrguy 5 1,015 10-23-2023, 05:55 PM