Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIS degree Advice - Plan inclucded
Hi, I have an 18 year old and we are working to graduate him with both a BS/BA CIS and BA CS.  This is our degree plan for both degrees.

Here is the spreadsheet we created.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

1. I could really use help figuring out if we matched up the two degrees correctly.  And, what to add in the missing slots.

2. I am unsure about the Sciences.  (He has already completed two RA sciences).  Both degrees have 6 Scientific Credits in the General Education, but the CS degree has an additional 6 credits of Natural Science, Math, Computer Science elective.  Is there a way I can match up the CS Electives and the Natural Science, Math, Computer Science Electives?

3. If you have suggestions on more classes that involve computer languages, coding etc. that we could swap current ones with, can you tell me?  He prefers those.

3. If you know if any of these classes lean heavily on current the political/social positions (racial diversity, transgender, LGBT etc.), can you let me know?

4.  I'm not sure if the ASU classes we've taken are in the right place - especially the computer ones.  

5.  @bjcheung77 recommended we do two terms at TESU (we live in NJ).  If we were planning on graduating with dual degrees, which specific classes would be best to save to take at TESU? 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACI's post:
  • schlocker
For Civic Engagement, I suggest InstantCert's American Government. That'll be easier and faster.

For Business Law, Sophia's Business Law is super easy.

For "International management", you could do "Business 120: International Business" at SDC.

Intro to Engineering is NOT a CIS elective. It's just a general elective. The 15 credits are just general electives, not CIS electives, anyway.

UL courses are ones that are 300-400 level. SDC's Software Engineering is NOT UL. TESU's is. Saylor's might be.

The wiki tells you EXACTLY which courses are UL and known to work for this degree: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan Other courses may not work.

Data Structures & Operating Systems are NOT CIS courses. They are CS. In that section, of the 12 credits of "other" classes, 9 credits must be UL. Management Information Systems is UL + the 9 credits + the capstone = 15 total UL credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-17-2022, 04:12 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For Civic Engagement, I suggest InstantCert's American Government. That'll be easier and faster.

For Business Law, Sophia's Business Law is super easy.

For "International management", you could do "Business 120: International Business" at SDC.

Intro to Engineering is NOT a CIS elective. It's just a general elective. The 15 credits are just general electives, not CIS electives, anyway.

UL courses are ones that are 300-400 level. SDC's Software Engineering is NOT UL. TESU's is. Saylor's might be.

The wiki tells you EXACTLY which courses are UL and known to work for this degree: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan Other courses may not work.

Data Structures & Operating Systems are NOT CIS courses. They are CS. In that section, of the 12 credits of "other" classes, 9 credits must be UL. Management Information Systems is UL + the 9 credits + the capstone = 15 total UL credits.
 Thanks, I made those changes!  I updated the spreadsheet (at bjcheung77's request) to include both degrees (CIS and CS).  I know you are working on both of them currently.  Would you be able to tell me if it looks okay to you?  I am unsure about the Sciences.  (He has already completed two RA sciences).  Both degrees have 6 Scientific Credits in the General Education, but the CS degree has an additional 6 credits of Natural Science, Math, Computer Science elective.  Is there a way I can match up the CS Electives and the Natural Science, Math, Computer Science Electives?
I'm not completely sure what you're asking. If you do nothing else, the CS Natural Science/Math/CS electives will likely be filled by Stats and BUS-210. Or they can be filled with a couple extra programming classes. Either way.

BTW, your kid might want to take https://www.edx.org/microbachelors/nyux-...position=1 If you apply for financial aid for all four courses, the total should be about $120. This gets 3 credits in C++ programming and 3 to fill the Data Structures/Algorithms course requirement: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/edx-credit $60/course is pretty good pricing.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-18-2022, 07:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not completely sure what you're asking. If you do nothing else, the CS Natural Science/Math/CS electives will likely be filled by Stats and BUS-210. Or they can be filled with a couple extra programming classes. Either way.

BTW, your kid might want to take https://www.edx.org/microbachelors/nyux-...position=1 If you apply for financial aid for all four courses, the total should be about $120. This gets 3 credits in C++ programming and 3 to fill the Data Structures/Algorithms course requirement: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/edx-credit $60/course is pretty good pricing.

Ok, thanks!  I probably didn't explain that well. Basically, it looks like we have 10 additional classes (including the capstones) to get the second degree.  I think I read it was supposed to be 7 extra classes.  So, just trying to figure out which classes I didn't overlap correctly.

Thanks for the link for the programming class!  It looks interesting.  Have you done it and successfully transferred it in as those two classes? I didn't see anything about financial aid on the website.  Is that through FAFSA or something through the school itself?
(01-18-2022, 08:27 AM)ACI Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 07:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not completely sure what you're asking. If you do nothing else, the CS Natural Science/Math/CS electives will likely be filled by Stats and BUS-210. Or they can be filled with a couple extra programming classes. Either way.

Ok, thanks!  I probably didn't explain that well. Basically, it looks like we have 10 additional classes (including the capstones) to get the second degree.  I think I read it was supposed to be 7 extra classes.  So, just trying to figure out which classes I didn't overlap correctly.

Thanks for the link for the programming class!  It looks interesting.  Have you done it and successfully transferred it in as those two classes? I didn't see anything about financial aid on the website.  Is that through FAFSA or something through the school itself?

If I said 7 classes, I may have miscounted. But most BSBA CIS courses should fit into the BA CS (because of extra general electives), though the reverse isn't true. If it helps any, I've attached my most recent evaluations for BA CS and BSBA CIS so that you can get a better idea of how it works "behind the scenes". For some bizarre reason, they've gone and filled my CIS AOS with LL courses, but it's not going to stay that way. I still need to transfer in more UL CIS courses.

For the AOS, the following courses overlap for both CS and CIS:

1. System Analysis & Design
2. Database Management
3. Management Information Systems

You cannot have more overlap than this within the AOS. Only 9 credits in the AOS may overlap. Outside of the AOS, it doesn't matter. Everything else can overlap.

The remaining UL credit for CIS is either Digital Marketing & Advertising @ SDC OR CIS309 from ASU.

CS requires 2 additional UL courses. One of these is Computer Architecture. The easiest 2nd choice is Software Engineering from TESU. Your son may prefer Artificial Intelligence, though. Sadly, neither involves actual programming.

Yes, the BA requires 18 UL credits (counting the capstone), while the business degrees only require 15 ULs (counting the capstone). 

For edX, financial assistance is through edX itself: https://support.edx.org/hc/en-us/article...assistance- I haven't completed this, but I did start it even though I don't actually need another programming course (I think...). I do still need Data Structures & Algorithms, though, and $120 isn't a lot for that.

Attached Files
.pdf   BA Comp Sci Jan 2022.pdf (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 21)
.pdf   BSBA CIS Jan 2022.pdf (Size: 1.15 MB / Downloads: 16)
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ACI, schlocker
Rachel, Data-Driven Decisions was the Strayer exam?
Not sure, since it appears with a grade, and with a *TE in the Notes.
(01-21-2022, 12:11 PM)MrPanda Wrote: Rachel, Data-Driven Decisions was the Strayer exam?

No, Data-Driven Decisions was one of the classes I took at Strayer during their free term last year.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
(01-21-2022, 12:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 12:11 PM)MrPanda Wrote: Rachel, Data-Driven Decisions was the Strayer exam?

No, Data-Driven Decisions was one of the classes I took at Strayer during their free term last year.

Are this courses RA Credits??? 
https://www.edx.org/course/advanced-prog...position=2

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(01-21-2022, 04:42 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 12:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Are this courses RA Credits??? 
https://www.edx.org/course/advanced-prog...position=2
Its not RA, maximum it can be ACE credit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 119 46 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 616 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 317 6 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 346 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 136 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,478 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 139 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,854 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM