Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP English Composition counting as a RA credit?
Hi all,

I am trying to find a route to prove my English language proficiency without taking a test that requires listening. I am hard of hearing and I cannot leave my house at the moment, so it is difficult for me to take IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo/etc. without any extra adjustments – and most of these seem to exist only in the offline form of the test. I mailed UMPI already to ask whether me being enrolled in an online MA in the UK would be grounds for waiving the requirement.

My question is, if this does not work out, since they mention that they would consider a completed English Composition course at the regionally accredited college as a reason to waive this requirement, would it make sense for me to take online CLEP from that course? Does it involve any listening apart from communication with the proctor, which probably can be done via chat? Or are there any other routes that I did not think about? I am not located in an English-speaking country.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

PS The anti-bot question accompanying the registration form on this board is very Canadian centric, just saying :-)
I don't think that the CLEP counts for this purpose. It's not RA. It also technically requires listening because the online CLEP is live proctored. Getting accommodations for the online version of the exam has been reported to be essentially impossible (though it's possible this has changed recently, I wouldn't count on it).

However, the cheapest way to get actual RA credit (as far as I'm aware) that does NOT involve travel or an audio component would be to complete English Comp from Arizona State University. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner It would be $25 to start the class, plus a $400 transcript fee if you get a passing grade and want to add the class to your ASU transcript. Warning: it is a LOT of writing. But there is no proctoring or required audio component. I think there are videos, but the ASU videos are well-captioned.

Cheaper still would be TEL Learning at $200 per class. However, their classes require multiple assignments AND two live proctored exams. I am not sure how they would be able to accommodate someone who is hard of hearing.

Neither of these requires proof of English proficiency to sign up.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, tallis
Thank you for these wonderful options, I will explore them. I've just realised that it's also impossible to take CLEP online if you're not in the US, so it's a no-go for me anyway. It feels good to have another option lined up now though thanks to you :-)

Thanks for the tip about the well-captioned videos at ASU! I was actually considering studying with them, but they are quite costly for someone from Eastern Europe.
Yeah, $400 is quite expensive for an Eastern European salary. That's, what, most of a month's salary in some countries? But I think the TOEFL and IELTS are right around the same price, especially if you have to travel any substantial distance to get there. Hopefully, it works for you. Good luck with your studies! Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
I meant that I was considering going to ASU full time, but that would be quite an expensive affair. I did not realise that you could only take a few courses there, which – again – I am very grateful to you for pointing out. I am hoping that the UMPI will recognize my ongoing online MA, as it's in Creative Writing, so it should be much more difficult than a C- in English Composition :-)

But if that does not work out, I will have to shell out $400 ;-) And this is only the beginning of the journey... Thinking about all the Sophia courses I need to take, etc :-)

Thanks a lot!
@tallis, Welcome to the board, you may have missed the template and last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-D...ing-Advice Just wondering, if you're already going for a MA Creative Writing, why are you going for a degree at UMPI? What degree are you thinking of obtaining at UMPI? Have you got a Bachelors already? If you already have a Bachelors, depending on the degree, it may be redundant to get a second Bachelors while you're working on the MA...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you take the 6 credit CLEP English Composition and score over 50, it will comes in as ENG101 & 121.
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
magna cum laude

Eastern University
Master of Business Administration
7/10 courses completed
Thanks for the warm welcome, @bjcheung77.

I didn't fill yet in the degree planning advice template because I have no transferrable credits yet, and I was a bit unsure about my next steps. But maybe it'd be best to fill it at this point in order to receive expert advice and just to know which classes at Sophia I should take ;-)

I don't have any Bachelor's. I have completed 2 years of my brick-and-mortar BA before I dropped it because I felt my job was much more rewarding at that time. I was considering finishing it up at an online university, but it requires my university to send the transcript directly to somewhere else, and I'd need to ask the faculty for it directly. And since it is a small faculty, I would run into people that were there when I was failing out of my 3rd year. For some stupid reason, I'd prefer to avoid that. Although Open University, based on the partnership with my original university, had no trouble crediting these 2 years for their Open Degree – but their pricing is difficult for me to swallow, and I was refused a loan from their foundation.

I got into MA based on my work experience (5+ years in Public Relations) and writing portfolio (multiple news items & expert articles ghostwritten for top brands, and published in the newspapers across the Central and Eastern European region, as well as in some UK and USA newspapers). Not having a bachelor's degree doesn't do wonders for my ego, though, especially since the MA is going to last for the next 2 years and I thought finishing BA sooner at the UMPI would be a cool option that would help in sorting out my resume (I'd have BA completion date before MA's, and there'd be a BA at all, so it'd be easier to explain than having only MA without any BA).

I also got into University of London BA, but I can't afford those fees at the moment, especially in comparison with their quality of student support (or rather lack of it), lack of interaction with the faculty and other sins that aren't just worth this fee.

So I was thinking to take a double bacc at UMPI (Ms Shea confirmed it was possible) – BA BA (double minor in Marketing & Project Management) & BA English. Later on, I'd love to go for graduate studies in the area of business, marketing (particularly online), public relations or something like that. I like Rome Business School's program, as well as Georgetown's online one. Maybe on the way there I'd also take a BA in International Management from German IU Online to have a British BA degree as well.

My base end goal is having a BA, a MA and maybe a PhD on my resume. My hidden dream is to try getting rid of some health issues keeping me stuck at home and try and get into a brick-and-mortar in the USA or the UK. But I'm not yet sure about that because I would have to rely heavily on someone else's support as a hard of hearing person. This is one thing that kept me from going abroad to study when graduating from high school, but now I'm thinking that maybe there'd be a way to do that. I kind of miss the student life and I am irritated by the recruiters telling me that my English level isn't good enough just because my accent sucks (I don't hear myself – of course it's going to suck ;-)).
(07-11-2023, 02:57 PM)tallis Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome, @bjcheung77.

I didn't fill yet in the degree planning advice template because I have no transferrable credits yet, and I was a bit unsure about my next steps. But maybe it'd be best to fill it at this point in order to receive expert advice and just to know which classes at Sophia I should take ;-)

I don't have any Bachelor's. I have completed 2 years of my brick-and-mortar BA before I dropped it because I felt my job was much more rewarding at that time. I was considering finishing it up at an online university, but it requires my university to send the transcript directly to somewhere else, and I'd need to ask the faculty for it directly. And since it is a small faculty, I would run into people that were there when I was failing out of my 3rd year. For some stupid reason, I'd prefer to avoid that. Although Open University, based on the partnership with my original university, had no trouble crediting these 2 years for their Open Degree – but their pricing is difficult for me to swallow, and I was refused a loan from their foundation.

I got into MA based on my work experience (5+ years in Public Relations) and writing portfolio (multiple news items & expert articles ghostwritten for top brands, and published in the newspapers across the Central and Eastern European region, as well as in some UK and USA newspapers). Not having a bachelor's degree doesn't do wonders for my ego, though, especially since the MA is going to last for the next 2 years and I thought finishing BA sooner at the UMPI would be a cool option that would help in sorting out my resume (I'd have BA completion date before MA's, and there'd be a BA at all).

I also got into University of London BA, but I can't afford those fees at the moment, especially in comparison with their quality of student support (or rather lack of it), lack of interaction with the faculty and other sins that aren't just worth this fee.

So I was thinking to take a double bacc at UMPI (Ms Shea confirmed it was possible) – BA BA (double minor in Marketing & Project Management) & BA English. Later on, I'd love to go for graduate studies in the area of business, marketing (particularly online), public relations or something like that. I like Rome Business School's program, as well as Georgetown's online one. Maybe on the way there I'd also take a BA in International Management from German IU Online to have a British BA degree as well.

My base end goal is having a BA, a MA and maybe a PhD on my resume. My hidden dream is to try getting rid of some health issues keeping me stuck at home and try and get into a brick-and-mortar in the USA or the UK. But I'm not yet sure about that because I would have to rely heavily on someone else's support as a hard of hearing person. This is one thing that kept me from going abroad to study when graduating from high school, but now I'm thinking that maybe there'd be a way to do that. I kind of miss the student life and I am irritated by the recruiters telling me that my English level isn't good enough just because my accent sucks (I don't hear myself – of course it's going to suck ;-)).

How are you enrolled into a graduate program if you have not satisfied an undergraduate degree?
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
magna cum laude

Eastern University
Master of Business Administration
7/10 courses completed
CLEP exams are never RA credit at UMPI. They are ACE credit. Sophia is also ACE credit and not RA. RA credits can only be earned by completing a course at an RA college. Maybe ASU's Universal Learner program would be of use to you. They offer Eng Comp 1 and Eng Comp 2.

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BLS: Management Remaining Credit Options... TaraD2020 3 444 02-10-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: TaraD2020
  Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting Sarajane 15 1,878 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does CLEP College Composition MODULAR transfer? octoco 2 347 01-11-2024, 10:25 PM
  UMPI Credit Evaluation Wait Times mohelena02 15 1,990 01-05-2024, 10:06 PM
  English Major Graduates ashkir 0 309 01-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  How long is it taking for Jessica to reach out after Transfer Credit Report completed octoco 7 664 12-19-2023, 09:17 PM
  Coursera Google Data Analytics is a "non credit certificate" but accepted at UMPI? FM1 5 745 12-12-2023, 11:59 PM
  UMPI Transfer Credit Questions Cb1818c 2 527 12-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Ncerva
  UMPI English degree planning NJgirl 4 669 11-07-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: NJgirl
  My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU park0902 26 4,236 09-22-2023, 08:51 PM