Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Language additional credits?
Could someone take a language CLEP and score enough for 6 credits, and later take the same CLEP again? Say over a year later, the person thinks they can score better, and enough for 12 credits? I would assume the schools would allow it, but does College Board? I think this is a good option for people studying a language.

The site says 3 months and doesn't mention pass or fail...

https://clep.collegeboard.org/help-for-students
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(04-11-2018, 12:27 PM)quigongene Wrote: The site says 3 months and doesn't mention pass or fail...

https://clep.collegeboard.org/help-for-students

I wondered if there was anything different about passing but still trying for a better score. I guess not.

So, two thoughts come up regarding testing strategy based on the fact that a re-testing may not be possible:

1) Wait until the end of your testing to test out of a language, allowing more time for continual study. Make sure language is the last CLEP you do to allow maximum study time.

2) Hurry up and get the darn test over with. If you don't get all the credits, you can find another way to make them up.

So even though Spanish was my highest score by far, I still thought that the listening portion was challenging. I tend to go with option #2 because it's really hard to learn a language. It took me 6 years of living in Mexico to speak fluently. I would say that if someone is trying to study a language quickly to improve a CLEP, it might take more time than studying for a comparable test that doesn't involve language studies.

So from a time management perspective, it's better to just rush through it and lose quickly on the language CLEP. But if you're just wanting to get more credit on the CLEP and are going to be studying the language anyhow, then why not take approach #1? It is possible to learn a language while you're studying. (I had to learn Portuguese during grad school, but it was hell, but if I can do it, anyone can.. I just wouldn't recommend it!)
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Yeah, good point about getting the additional credits elsewhere. I agree. In this case I would be getting the easier credits first (if I can even score that high) and trying to pass the higher level later as a personal challenge. But I probably don't have the time for that anyway. I was curious too, because if I were still doing my first degree, I would want to know.

Although burbuja's advice should be followed, I easily passed the German CLEP (12 credits) without any formal study when I was stationed there (and I didn't have any prior knowledge before getting stationed there). They are just not that difficult since you don't have to actually say anything. Get a CLEP prep book for the sample questions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • burbuja0512
(04-11-2018, 02:08 PM)Yenisei Wrote: Although burbuja's advice should be followed, I easily passed the German CLEP (12 credits) without any formal study when I was stationed there (and I didn't have any prior knowledge before getting stationed there). They are just not that difficult since you don't have to actually say anything. Get a CLEP prep book for the sample questions.

Wow. Makes sense that it's easier since you don't have to say anything, but I feel it's hard since the speakers go faster.

Maybe you're good with languages? Was it your third language or later? Have you learned any since then? 

How long had you been stationed there?

I'm OK with languages (already knew some Spanish and French, but not fluently) and I think I had been there less than a year, although I did have a lot of contact with the locals. It's been a long time since I took this CLEP, but my memory is that they didn't talk as fast on the recording as I was used to hearing native speakers converse in real life who weren't deliberately speaking slower in order to help me gain confidence.

Since then I learned some Portuguese and Arabic (now the latter is a difficult language).
CLEP's are no longer 12cr, the highest score now only gets you 9cr. None are UL. I would say that for 3 extra credits, it's not worth it.

You'd be much better off doing the ACTFL exam(s). They cost less, are worth more, and can even get you UL credits if you score high enough.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Not in my case. CLEP is free and I'll be in the area. I'm doing it "for fun".

ACTFL is a nice option otherwise!

I think CLEP speakers are kind of fast, but I'll practice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,536 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 719 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,260 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 526 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 461 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 409 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,841 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,974 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,889 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123