Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Preparation - 1 week to study: which subject?
I'm new to this forum, and my next CLEP date is next friday. With my current plan, I need to take a CLEP exam and try and get credit. However, I only have a week to prep and I was wondering out of which of the following would be the best for me to do:

American Literature
English Literature
US History 1
US History 2
American Government

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Edit: Also, I am attending the University of Texas at Austin. However, I will be sending my scores to a community college first (they accept more tests). Does anyone know if there is a limit to sending CLEP scores and if it's ok to send scores to a cc first to claim credit then send the cc credit over to UT?

Edit 2: Clarification - UT doesn't accept certain CLEP Tests, however those tests are accepted by my community college. If I send my scores to my community college to receive credit there first, then send my cc transcript to UT, will UT accept them based on the premise that I will obtain credit by CLEP at the cc, and I will obtain credit at UT based on my community college transcript?
I'd say try and go with either one of your Literature or Histories as American Gov can be tough to handle in week. Return to Scale (one of the very few things I did not know ANYTHING about)
I’ve taken U.S. History I+II, and American Gov. If you want a more fact oriented test I’d suggest either one of the Histories. Though I haven’t taken the Literature exams (except for Analyzing and Interpreting Literature) those aren’t going to be as fact oriented as they will be interpretive.

As for your other questions, there is no limit to how many CLEP scores you can send to an institution. You also shouldn’t encounter a problem with sending them to a CC then to your college, granted you’re enrolled in that CC and UT doesn't have a problem with it.
Exempt,

This is really up to you. What is easy for one person is tough as hell for another. I'm getting my BA in English so I attacked College Comp (w/essay) first because I knew it would take the longest since they have to grade the essay. Next I took Analyzing & Interpreting Lit because I knew it would help me out with English & American Lit. I would say that Analyzing & Interpreting lit was the easiest. The only prep I did was reading the book "How to Interpret Lit Like a Professor" and that I only read the first 100 pages the day before the exam however I did review all the literary terms that you find on the CLEP thread "Analzying & Interpreting Lit" on this forum. I passed with a 74 with only a day or two study. But that's me. I have a really good capacity for remembering facts in a short amount of time. Some people are really good with math whereas I would run away screaming from a math CLEP *lol*. Some people love history and watch the history channel all the time and might be able to pass any of the history cleps with minimal study. Just figure out what you are good at & tackle the clep or dsst that is right for you. Good luck Smile

~Amy
Thomas Edison State College
AAS - Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies (done! Graduating in December 2012!)
BA - English (done! Graduating in June 2013!)

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra - 70, College Algebra - 80
CLEP:
College Comp - 55, A&I Lit - 74, English Lit - 57, American Lit - 62, Humanities - 58, Social Sciences & History - 66,
Info Sys & Comp Applications - 70, Intro. Psych - 60, Human Growth & Development - 55, Biology - 56
DSST:
Race to Save the Planet - 66, Intro. to World Religions - 462, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union - 56
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
Hallelujah I'm done all the tests I had to take! Thank you IC! Smile :hurray:
[SIZE="2"]
Shoto-Advice:
:iagree:
[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]EC[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]
"CCU"
"Prayer"
"A Pass is a Pass"
"Slow and Steady - Wins the Race"
[B][I]“Sometimes The Easy Way Is Not Always The Best Way”

"Passing a Petersons = Conquering a CLEP -or- Defeating a DSST"
"The 5 R's of Study: Repetition - Re-Enforces - Recognition - Recall - Retention"[/B][/I]
"Always be Ready to Release Your Mind & Incorporate the Advice of Others into Your Plans."
"Studying is much like Boiling Water, if it is not Heated Constantly it will Once Again Become Cold Water."

Other Sources of CLEP & DSST Study Material
[SIZE="3"]REA Books, Comex Books, Pass Your Class Guides, Standard Deviants DVD's, Petersons Practice Exams, [COLOR="Gold"]Dummies Books, Idiot's Guides [/COLOR]. Big Grin[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"]Study Time: How I Did It…[/SIZE]

Pre-Study-Prep: Obtain or set up whatever materials I will need to study (IC Flashcards, REA Books, Standard Deviants Videos, Pass-Your-Class Guides, and Petersons Practice Exams.

Week One: Begin to read books, review flashcards, watch videos. Call your test center and make an appointment in advance as they sometimes require a few weeks advance notice).

Week Two: Re-read books, review flashcards, watch videos Take 1-2 practice exams* (REA, Petersons).

Week Three: Continue to review all materials, take additional/final practice exams. You should be passing these with room to spare. Take real exam at end of the week and PASS. In addition, you should have at this point already acquired pre-study-prep materials for your next exam so as not to waste time.[/COLOR]

* It should be noted that there are many (like me) who feel that the practice exams may be a bit more difficult and as such if you are able to "pass" a practice exam (with room to spare) you should do well when you sit the actual exam.

[SIZE="4"]
Something Else To Know
[/SIZE]

FACT: The lowest possible score is a 20. The highest possible is an 80.

FACT: Approx. 1/2 the questions on the test must be successfully answered to get a 50, or a pass.

THE HYPOTHESIS: In a 100 question test, such as Sociology and many others, there are only 60 possible points (between 20-80) for 100 questions.

60 points divided by 100 questions = .6pts

If each questions is worth .6 points, 50 correct questions = 50q X .6pts = 30pts

You must add 20 since 0 correct questions = 20pts.

30 points + 20 points = 50 points, or a pass.

Now: If each point in a 100 question test is worth .6 points, 100 questions X .6 points = 60; 60 + 20 = 80.

By this formula, answering 75 questions correctly would translate to a score of 65.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
the goal of a CLEP should not be a quick and easy 3 credits

the goal should be learning

if you're just going to cram and forget it all one week after the exam you may as well pay someone else to take the exam for you

if you've read and enjoyed American Literature then take that exam; same with English Literature
but just cramming the facts and never reading the books defeats the whole purpose
bluebooger Wrote:...The goal of a CLEP should not be a quick and easy 3 credits

Correct, you can also take exams that my give you 6 or up to 12 easy credits! :coolgleam:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
If your institution doesn't accept clep laundering them through a cc isn't likely to work. You need to look into that further. No school is obligated to accept clep/dsst just because another did. Your UT registrar is the place to find out.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
American Lit is ~40% analyzing literature and ~60% facts/dates/names/titles...
English Lit is 50%+ analyzing literature and ~50% facts/dates/names/titles...

US History 1&2 require not just knowledge of facts, but an understanding of “why” things happened, cause & effect...

American Government is the hardest CLEP in your list
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
In regards the to CC vs. UT question, I have read about this happening here in CA between our CC and the CSU system. From what I understand, if your CC accepts CLEP credit, you may earn your AA degree using CLEP, and this degree will be accepted at other 4-year institutions once you transfer. The problem comes in with these same 4-year institutions not recognizing the CLEP credit, requiring you to have to take coursework at their institution in order to achieve the total credit needed for a bachelor's degree. Definitely contact the registrar's office and speak with someone who is familiar with this process before proceeding.
You need to call the registrar at UT to confirm how they will handle your CLEP scores that meet the CC requirements. In my situation, the CC will accept them for course requirements and credit toward my AA; however, the university will NOT accept them for credit, but will accept them for meeting a course requirement. In other words, if I take a Biology CLEP, I may not have to take Biology at the university as the articulation agreement with the CC means I have met the requirments for Gen Ed, but I will have to take something else to make up for the credit hours that don't transfer. Your best bet is to call the registrar so you don't waste time, energy and money on a test that doesn't help you reach your goals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 263 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  How to Study Deetzin 3 213 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,223 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,281 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 924 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore