Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEPS and TX Highschool Students
Information 
So, according to the Texas Education Code:

8) A student in any of Grades 6-12 must be given credit for an academic subject in which he or she has had no prior instruction if the student scores:

(A) a three or higher on a College Board advanced placement examination that has been approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course;
(B) a scaled score of 50 or higher on an examination administered through the College-Level Examination Program and approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course; or
© 80% on any other criterion-referenced test approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course.
(9) A student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
(10) If a student fails to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course before the beginning of the school year in which the student would ordinarily be required to enroll in that course in accordance with the school district's prescribed course sequence, the student must satisfactorily complete the course to receive credit.
(11) If a student is given credit in accordance with paragraph (8) of this subsection in a subject on the basis of an examination on which the student scored 80% or higher, the school district must enter the examination score on the student's transcript, and the student is not required to take an applicable end-of-course assessment instrument for the course.
(12) In accordance with local school district policy, a student in any of Grades 6-12 may be given credit for an academic subject in which he or she had some prior instruction if the student scores 70% on a criterion-referenced test approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course.

For those that don't know how texas structures their various high school diplomas, this link breaks it down quite nicely. Also, for high school purposes it looks like a single clep is worth 1 high school credit. So 1 class = 1 credit under these guidelines.

Personally, I was wondering about this after talking to my 15 year old sister about the CLEP exams I took, so hopefully we can take advantage of the system and get her a bit of a leg up on society. I hope this helps somebody! Good luck out there!  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like kvolivera's post:
  • alab21, MNomadic, sanantone
(02-07-2019, 11:26 AM)kvolivera Wrote: So, according to the Texas Education Code:

8) A student in any of Grades 6-12 must be given credit for an academic subject in which he or she has had no prior instruction if the student scores:

(A) a three or higher on a College Board advanced placement examination that has been approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course;
(B) a scaled score of 50 or higher on an examination administered through the College-Level Examination Program and approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course; or
© 80% on any other criterion-referenced test approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course.
(9) A student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
(10) If a student fails to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course before the beginning of the school year in which the student would ordinarily be required to enroll in that course in accordance with the school district's prescribed course sequence, the student must satisfactorily complete the course to receive credit.
(11) If a student is given credit in accordance with paragraph (8) of this subsection in a subject on the basis of an examination on which the student scored 80% or higher, the school district must enter the examination score on the student's transcript, and the student is not required to take an applicable end-of-course assessment instrument for the course.
(12) In accordance with local school district policy, a student in any of Grades 6-12 may be given credit for an academic subject in which he or she had some prior instruction if the student scores 70% on a criterion-referenced test approved by the school district board of trustees for the applicable course.

For those that don't know how texas structures their various high school diplomas, this link breaks it down quite nicely. Also, for high school purposes it looks like a single clep is worth 1 high school credit. So 1 class = 1 credit under these guidelines.

Personally, I was wondering about this after talking to my 15 year old sister about the CLEP exams I took, so hopefully we can take advantage of the system and get her a bit of a leg up on society. I hope this helps somebody! Good luck out there!  Big Grin

This is great news. In Florida, public school students may receive high school credit for CLEP exams,but I do not think it is mandatory.In other words,schools may not be obligated to accept CLEP exams.If anyone knows about Florida policy,please let us know.
(02-07-2019, 12:40 PM)nosey561 Wrote: This is great news. In Florida, public school students may receive high school credit for CLEP exams,but I do not think it is mandatory.In other words,schools may not be obligated to accept CLEP exams.If anyone knows about Florida policy,please let us know.

Are you saying that high school students can take CLEP exams but their HIGH SCHOOL isn't required to accept them?  Or high school students can take CLEP exams in HS, but colleges aren't required to take them?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-08-2019, 12:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 12:40 PM)nosey561 Wrote: This is great news. In Florida, public school students may receive high school credit for CLEP exams,but I do not think it is mandatory.In other words,schools may not be obligated to accept CLEP exams.If anyone knows about Florida policy,please let us know.

Are you saying that high school students can take CLEP exams but their HIGH SCHOOL isn't required to accept them?  Or high school students can take CLEP exams in HS, but colleges aren't required to take them?

All Florida public colleges accept CLEP credits,with certain limitations.For high schools, I am sure they CAN accept CLEP credits, but I am unsure as to whether they MUST accept CLEP as high school credits.For example, any English CLEP can be worth up to 1 year of high school English,but the high school may have discretion regarding this.On the other hand, high schools may have to accept CLEP credits.I am asking if anyone has the answer to this.Take a look at the following pdf from the Florida Department of Education.

http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/...ic9-12.pdf
I don't have the answers about the law for Texas and Florida, but I know where you can find out. There are Facebook groups for all 50 states for parents doing this exact thing. (Earning college credit in high school) The list page won't paste live links, but here is the link - pan down to find your state:

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 29,916 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 293 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 472 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 369 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,147 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  There's a quicker, cheaper way to go to college, but fewer students are trying it davewill 7 1,026 03-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 476 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 522 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question What Are the Best Chrome Extensions for College Students? LevelUP 6 819 10-08-2022, 04:11 PM