Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs
(06-25-2023, 03:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 12:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 09:07 AM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: I finished my biology course with Sophia and met the lab requirement using StraighterLine. It's smart to contact your advisor for confirmation. As Rachel mentioned, acquiring ULs (upper-level courses) can be challenging at COSC. There is now a minimum grade requirement for SDC courses and you must complete most of your ULs before enrolling in the capstone course.

Just for reference for others...when did you transfer this into COSC? Interesting that they accepted a science course from Sophia and the lab from StraighterLine. Seems like many schools require the lab to be completed with the course so it's pretty cool that COSC accepted them split up.

UMPI is the only school that we discuss on here that has that requirement.  TESU will allow a lab science to be done separately from the course (like on a BS degree where they require Chem I & II + labs or Physics I & II + labs, they can all be from anywhere as long as they fit the requirements).  Excelsior doesn't have a lab science requirement.  COSC has always allowed a lab science to be from somewhere other than where the course was taken.  WGU doesn't care on their lab requirement.

I was speaking about colleges in general. I wasn't speaking about the handful of schools on here we discuss over and over. There are other schools that require the lab to be taken with the course in the same semester. Some schools don't allow you to register for the course and not the lab. I've experienced that as well. You get to experience all kinds of things when you've attended 10+ colleges in person like me. Even more fun things when you switch to online programs. The fun never stops.
Since COSC takes the Sophia science courses, I'd be surprised if they didn't also accept the coordinating Labs. If you're already taking the science(s) at Sophia it costs you nothing more to try and send them over (on the same transcript). The Sophia Labs are still rather new, but knowing the base science courses are on the approved list already...
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Yeah, you can complete the Sophia.org science and lab then transfer, see what they say. I believe it should be fine if it's already acceptable to transfer in Sophia.org science classes without the lab.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-25-2023, 03:36 PM)allvia Wrote: Since COSC takes the Sophia science courses, I'd be surprised if they didn't also accept the coordinating Labs. If you're already taking the science(s) at Sophia it costs you nothing more to try and send them over (on the same transcript). The Sophia Labs are still rather new, but knowing the base science courses are on the approved list already...

I wouldn't be so sure. At SDC, Microbiology is accepted but not the lab sciences like BIO101L. It looks to me as if COSC is demanding an in-person lab experience.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-26-2023, 01:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-25-2023, 03:36 PM)allvia Wrote: Since COSC takes the Sophia science courses, I'd be surprised if they didn't also accept the coordinating Labs. If you're already taking the science(s) at Sophia it costs you nothing more to try and send them over (on the same transcript). The Sophia Labs are still rather new, but knowing the base science courses are on the approved list already...

I wouldn't be so sure. At SDC, Microbiology is accepted but not the lab sciences like BIO101L. It looks to me as if COSC is demanding an in-person lab experience.

I know MANY people who took Intro to Nutrition at Sophia or SDC, and then took a Nutrition Lab at Rio Salado back when they had a VERY easy Nutrition lab (they've changed it since then).  So I know for a fact they don't require an in-person lab.  They will also take an online lab from a local CC (not really any way to know that it's in-person vs. online).

I think they just decided not to allow any additional SDC or Sophia courses from a certain date, and the labs all came after that date, and they're just difficult at this point.  I don't think it has anything to do with in-person or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,679 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,641 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,536 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab