Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Associate in Science then GS/ISS
(04-12-2020, 07:08 AM)reylok Wrote: If got a "General Studies / Information Systems Studies" degree from COSC, are there any options for a Masters Degree somewhere?

Sure, nearly anywhere. I did a Master's in Educational Technology Leadership through George Washington University, and I did the COSC degree with that concentration specifically to be able to apply for it.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(04-12-2020, 10:28 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 07:08 AM)reylok Wrote: If got a "General Studies / Information Systems Studies" degree from COSC, are there any options for a Masters Degree somewhere?

Sure, nearly anywhere. I did a Master's in Educational Technology Leadership through George Washington University, and I did the COSC degree with that concentration specifically to be able to apply for it.

So I wouldn't look for a Masters program in  "General Studies", but a Masters in something close to "Information Systems Studies"?  If I wanted to get a Masters degree in Cybersecurity from WGU, it's hard to imagine  a COSC degree in "General Studies - Information System Studies" would get me in to it.  They would probably want me to at least get the COSC Bachelors in Cybersecurity.  I use Cybersecurity as an example, but it seems like it would apply to any tech niche.  If true, then that leaves me still wondering what Masters degree would be a good extension to a GS/ISS from COSC.
WGU is not a school with selective admissions, as long as you have the requirements completed, you're pretty much good to go. They just need a Bachelors and 2 years of related work experience or related IT coursework done. If you already have the ISS, you're good to go.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • reylok, SteveFoerster
(04-12-2020, 10:42 AM)reylok Wrote:

So I wouldn't look for a Masters program in  "General Studies", but a Masters in something close to "Information Systems Studies"?  If I wanted to get a Masters degree in Cybersecurity from WGU, it's hard to imagine  a COSC degree in "General Studies - Information System Studies" would get me in to it.  They would probably want me to at least get the COSC Bachelors in Cybersecurity.  I use Cybersecurity as an example, but it seems like it would apply to any tech niche.  If true, then that leaves me still wondering what Masters degree would be a good extension to a GS/ISS from COSC.

I graduated fifteen years ago, and in that time exactly zero prospective employers or grad schools have cared that it was a concentration in Information Systems Studies rather than a major in it. Biggest non-issue ever, the only people who ever even talk about it are on this forum and the other one. If information security had interested me I'd have felt perfectly confident applying to a Master's program in it with the degree I earned.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • reylok
(04-12-2020, 11:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WGU is not a school with selective admissions, as long as you have the requirements completed, you're pretty much good to go.  They just need a Bachelors and 2 years of related work experience or related IT coursework done.  If you already have the ISS, you're good to go.

COSC has a list of schools that have accepted COSC students in to graduate programs, but they don't say what the COSC degree was in, or what the Graduate degree was for.  I am wondering what kinds of Graduate degrees a GS/ISS degree would prepare me for.  It sounds like that list doesn't exist, other than it prepares you for whatever you can get in to.  Is there a list of schools, like WGU, that don't have selective admissions for their Graduate programs?

(04-12-2020, 11:13 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 10:42 AM)reylok Wrote:

I graduated fifteen years ago, and in that time exactly zero prospective employers or grad schools have cared that it was a concentration in Information Systems Studies rather than a major in it. Biggest non-issue ever, the only people who ever even talk about it are on this forum and the other one. If information security had interested me I'd have felt perfectly confident applying to a Master's program in it with the degree I earned.

That is good to know.  It sounds like if I get the Associates in Science, then Bachelors in Information Systems, I could probably get in to a Masters program somewhere. I also have a lot of work experience, so that might help.

On your resume, do you put something like "Charter Oak State College - General Studies / Information Systems Studies", or something more like "Charter Oak State College - Information System"?  I would probably not mention "General Studies", but I think that is the actual degree name.
(04-11-2020, 11:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If your university, school, or workplace education program has been affected by COVID-19, Sophia is here to help.
We're offering free access to our ACE-recommended courses for college credit until July 31, 2020.

Yes, it's free, seriously, you can get up to 80 credits towards your Bachelor's degree from Sophia.org - These are the courses you need to get right away because it will expire soon.  So, signup for a generic regular account at http://www.sophia.org, not a specific school account.  Oh, and sign up for the ACE Credit Registry to store your credits for use later when you're ready to transfer into COSC.

1) US History I - Expires at the end of this month.  2) US History II & Public Speaking - Expires at the end of June.  3) Work on College Readiness, Ancient Greek Philosophers, for a free elective/general eds.  4) Work on courses that interest you most or has the least quizzes/exams. 5) Make sure to do all the courses you can get, sign up but don't start them, do them 1 by 1.  6) Set their dates to start 3 months later and if you can't get to them, reset the dates to another 3 months.
bjcheung77's recommendation of "has the least quizzes/exams" is good. Another thing to consider, if you are going to watch every video, is how many videos there are. Program Management went pretty quickly for  me, but there are many videos for Sophia's Conflict Resolution course. Then there's Fundamentals of Statistics. No videos. Cry
Does anyone know what programming languages would probably be used in the GS/ISS BS degree? Or maybe I would test out of them, like many of the other courses.
I am trying to determine what the degree requirement differences are between an Associate in Science and a General Studies in Information System Studies. The General Education classes look identical. The only difference I see is the BS needs another 30 Liberals Arts and Sciences classes, plus another 36 credits in IT classes. Does that sound right?

https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/p...degree.php
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php
https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/p...tudies.php
Just backtracking a little - COSC requires a lab science. Sophia does not have lab science correct?
(04-15-2020, 10:31 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Just backtracking a little - COSC requires a lab science. Sophia does not have lab science correct?

Correct
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,643 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,162 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso