Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC New Policy - Transfer Credit Updated Info
(07-13-2020, 01:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 01:20 PM)lillingworth Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 01:17 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: But CLEP  is not available for those who are outside USA. so it leaves us with only TECEP which is RA credit as they told it straight before.

CLEP can be taken outside the US. My husband and I have taken several CLEP tests here in Japan. There are testing centers all over the world. 

https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search   Just pick a country. Some are military only and some are open to everyone. We're not military and have been able to test in Tokyo. There's also a DSST center over here.

I am in Europe and can't find an acceptable testing center closer than London. I am not in the UK. It's definitely easier to say that CLEP isn't available outside the US than to point out the few exceptions to the rule where civilians are able to take the tests.

As someone living in Europe, I can also confirm that CLEP centers aren't exactly around the corner. You might find them in a few military sites and small number of places in Germany and the UK. They're usually accessible by plane.
[-] The following 2 users Like openair's post:
  • rachel83az, scorpion
(07-13-2020, 01:37 PM)lillingworth Wrote: I don't think it's a few exceptions. There's literally hundreds of testing centers worldwide. But if someone sees here that there are none outside of the US they may miss out on an opportunity to take a CLEP. It's possible that your situation is the exception to the rule. I've met people that have tested in Korea, SEA, Germany, Turkey, etc. It sucks that you can't find a local testing center but it's also possible to contact a local university that offers proctoring and ask if they're willing to be an approved proctor. But let's not spread false information.

The German ones are on military bases or are otherwise closed to regular people. So are most of the others in Europe. Yes, it's possible to test in another country. But if you're not in the military, good luck finding a location. Because they just aren't there for most of the population.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-13-2020, 01:39 PM)openair Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 01:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 01:20 PM)lillingworth Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 01:17 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: But CLEP  is not available for those who are outside USA. so it leaves us with only TECEP which is RA credit as they told it straight before.

CLEP can be taken outside the US. My husband and I have taken several CLEP tests here in Japan. There are testing centers all over the world. 

https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search   Just pick a country. Some are military only and some are open to everyone. We're not military and have been able to test in Tokyo. There's also a DSST center over here.

I am in Europe and can't find an acceptable testing center closer than London. I am not in the UK. It's definitely easier to say that CLEP isn't available outside the US than to point out the few exceptions to the rule where civilians are able to take the tests.

As someone living in Europe, I can also confirm that CLEP centers aren't exactly around the corner. You might find them in a few military sites and small number of places in Germany and the UK. They're usually accessible by plane.

Good thing Ryan Air is dirt cheap. Still, there are a lot around the world, even if they're not concentrated in Europe.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

$50-100 each way + hotel costs is not cheap. At that point, you might as well just sign up for a regular college course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-13-2020, 01:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: $50-100 each way + hotel costs is not cheap. At that point, you might as well just sign up for a regular college course.

Alright, you win. There are no testing centers outside of the US.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

(07-13-2020, 12:11 PM)openair Wrote: How does the fact that they need to raise money every day justify solid college credit rejections? Why resort to this exclusionary method?  I don't need to work at a college to know that there is something odd about this line of reasoning. 

Maybe you do, because you're making an awful lot of uninformed guesses and treating them like facts.

It's true that people like us don't mean much revenue for them, but that doesn't mean this policy change relates to that. If all they wanted was more revenue, then it doesn't make sense that they didn't just require 30 credits be from Charter Oak itself, rather than continue to allow it to come from transfer, including TECEP and UExcel.

Other reasons than revenue that might have led to this change include pushback from NEASC-CIHE, a change in Connecticut's legislative or regulatory environment, or some other reason that wouldn't occur to you, me, or anyone else who doesn't work for the institution.

(07-13-2020, 01:46 PM)lillingworth Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 01:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: $50-100 each way + hotel costs is not cheap. At that point, you might as well just sign up for a regular college course.

More accurate to say that if you're outside the U.S. it's worth checking to see whether there's one close by, but don't get your hopes up.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(07-13-2020, 01:48 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 12:11 PM)openair Wrote: How does the fact that they need to raise money every day justify solid college credit rejections? Why resort to this exclusionary method?  I don't need to work at a college to know that there is something odd about this line of reasoning. 

Maybe you do, because you're making an awful lot of uninformed guesses and treating them like facts.

It's true that people like us don't mean much revenue for them, but that doesn't mean this policy change relates to that. If all they wanted was more revenue, then it doesn't make sense that they didn't just require 30 credits be from Charter Oak itself, rather than continue to allow it to come from transfer, including TECEP and UExcel.

Other reasons than revenue that might have led to this change include pushback from NEASC-CIHE, a change in Connecticut's legislative or regulatory environment, or some other reason that wouldn't occur to you, me, or anyone else who doesn't work for the institution.

Okay, but (as you pointed out) you would also be making a guess that it might have something to do with regulative affairs. You don't know that either. We're in the same boat. I am just more skeptical when I see a whole bunch of ACE credit being excluded without any argument for course inferiority, or changed from upper to lower level. That raises my eyebrows.  I am willing to accept that there is more to it than the money for the reasons that you stated. I also believe that the left out exams provide a level of hope. However, the caution is still needed, becouse even that might go away in the near future. Of course, we won't have much impact on such things. At least, we can comment on them.
(07-13-2020, 01:48 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:

(07-13-2020, 01:46 PM)lillingworth Wrote:

More accurate to say that if you're outside the U.S. it's worth checking to see whether there's one close by, but don't get your hopes up.

Ahhhhh the voice of reason!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(07-13-2020, 02:02 PM)openair Wrote: Okay, but (as you pointed out) you would also be making a guess that it might have something to do with regulative affairs. You don't know that either.

Yes, which is why I didn't guess or make assumptions, but instead simply listed that among various possibilities:

"Other reasons than revenue that might have led to this change include pushback from NEASC-CIHE, a change in Connecticut's legislative or regulatory environment, or some other reason that wouldn't occur to you, me, or anyone else who doesn't work for the institution."
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
openair Wrote:Interesting. I think that's the best advice. But why did their admissions person tell me something completely different, at least with regard to CLEP? I was told that it isn't even subject to the new cap.  I guess that you can't rely on these folks. It would be nice for the admissions people to be informed about such things, or refuse to provide specific advice without the requisite knowledge. Why not simply refer to the registrar? I suppose that you can still "inform" students without the knowledge of such "details." 

Has the big three status been preserved? Barely. They are putting up ever-increasing and more ridiculous obstacles on the educational path of non-traditional students. At a certain point, the "generous" transfer policy will be littered with so many obstacles and caveats that the standard single school 30-credit requirement will look like a smaller and more straightforward challenge to tackle.

Just curious who you were speaking with in regards to this requirement? I was told by them as well that the CLEP wasn't subject to the 90 credits. I should go up the chain of command and speak with the associate director or something, to clear up some confusion...

I think the Big 3 are making changes, but not necessarily for the worse, it may be to conform to newer requirements set by the accreditation agencies or within the state. Further to that, they may need to make changes to their programs to conform to specific requirements for programmatic/secondary accreditation standards.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,684 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,167 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,621 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso