Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC, TEEX and ALEKS
Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on here for some time now and have gotten a lot of very helpful guidance from these threads. My wife and I are both very early on in our journeys to getting bachelor's degrees; it's been a long-term goal and we decided to get started to mark our 25th anniversary this year. We've started by taking free courses, including the TEEX. We've been leaning towards COSC for multiple reasons; my wife is going for her BSBA and I'd like to major in Cybersecurity. I had two questions that I was hoping someone could help us with.

- For the TEEX courses, we started these based on older posts from before the relatively recent ACE credit changes. We've both passed a few of them so far (she's further along than I am) but we haven't transferred any to our ACE transcripts yet as we're a little confused by the exclusions and changes. Has anyone transferred TEEX credits to COSC since the changes? We were both planning to finish all the classes and request credit for Cyber 101, 201, and 301, but I don't want either of us to waste time on classes that wouldn't be accepted (i.e. because of the exclusions or because it's assigned as vocational,etc.). I'm also puzzled about whether to get them added individually or all together.

- Regarding ALEKS, we both finished College Algebra. My wife also did the Business Statistics. We both have weeks left on our subscriptions, so I was wondering whether there were any other courses that we could use for credit at COSC. I know that some duplicate, but I was wondering if we should do more of the non-duplicating ones (i.e. Trig) just for the free elective credits? 

We're both basically starting with blank slates here, so any advice would be most appreciated. Hope you all are having good weekends. Thanks.
(05-04-2019, 08:48 PM)jnm0611 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on here for some time now and have gotten a lot of very helpful guidance from these threads. My wife and I are both very early on in our journeys to getting bachelor's degrees; it's been a long-term goal and we decided to get started to mark our 25th anniversary this year. We've started by taking free courses, including the TEEX. We've been leaning towards COSC for multiple reasons; my wife is going for her BSBA and I'd like to major in Cybersecurity. I had two questions that I was hoping someone could help us with.

- For the TEEX courses, we started these based on older posts from before the relatively recent ACE credit changes. We've both passed a few of them so far (she's further along than I am) but we haven't transferred any to our ACE transcripts yet as we're a little confused by the exclusions and changes. Has anyone transferred TEEX credits to COSC since the changes? We were both planning to finish all the classes and request credit for Cyber 101, 201, and 301, but I don't want either of us to waste time on classes that wouldn't be accepted (i.e. because of the exclusions or because it's assigned as vocational,etc.). I'm also puzzled about whether to get them added individually or all together.

- Regarding ALEKS, we both finished College Algebra. My wife also did the Business Statistics. We both have weeks left on our subscriptions, so I was wondering whether there were any other courses that we could use for credit at COSC. I know that some duplicate, but I was wondering if we should do more of the non-duplicating ones (i.e. Trig) just for the free elective credits? 

We're both basically starting with blank slates here, so any advice would be most appreciated. Hope you all are having good weekends. Thanks.

There are 2 options for claiming your Cybersecurity credit.

OPTION 1 (Original Method) TEEX for Cybersecurity
3-10 credits
This method uses the umbrella course names (Cyber 101, 201, 301) on your ACE transcript instead of the individual course names.

Under this method, you would have 3 courses on your ACE transcript (Cyber 101, 201, and 301) worth 10 credits.

Cyber 101 – Cybersecurity for Everyone (was 2 credits –> now 4 credits)
Must complete all 3:
ARW168 Cyber Law and White Collar Crime
ARW174 Cyber Ethics
ARW175 Information Security for Everyone

Cyber 201 – Cybersecurity for IT Professionals (was 2 credits –> now 3 credits)
Must complete all 4:
ARW138 Network Assurance
AWR139 Digital Forensics Basics
ARW173 Information Security Basics
ARW178 Secure Software

Cyber 301 – Cybersecurity for Business Pro (was 2 credits –> now 3 credits)
Must complete all 3:
ARW169 Cyber Incident Analysis and Response
ARW176 Disaster Recovery for Information Systems
ARW177 Information Risk Management

OPTION 2 (NEW Method) TEEX for Cybersecurity 1-11 credits (1 upper level)
Complete each course individually and submit each to ACE for college credit.

ARW168 Cyber Law and White Collar Crime, 2 credits
AWR174 Cyber Ethics, 2 credits
ARW175 Information Security for Everyone, 1 credit
ARW138 Network Assurance & AWR 139 Digital Forensics Basics, 1 credit
ARW173 Information Security Basics, 1 credit
ARW178 Secure Software, 1 credit
ARW169 Cyber Incident Analysis and Response, 1 credit
ARW176 Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, 1 credit
ARW177 Information Risk Management, UPPER LEVEL 1 credit

____

ALEKS math - Charter Oak will require liberal arts credits, so additional maths will help check that box. They'll all fall into the elective slot as lower level.
COSC also accepts Shmoop which is way cheaper than other online sources of credit. The course can be a bit wordy, and some cover more material than others would on the same subject, but they are relatively easy. I'm in the process of completing the liberal arts requirements for COSC before I apply. Shmoop costs about $87/month. Last month I was able to complete 3 courses and halfway completed 3 more.
LSU-Shreveport: MBA, Project Management 2023
UMGC: BS Public Safety Administration, minor Emergency Management 2021
Eastern Gateway Community College: AAB Business Management 2019
Credits from Sophia, SDC, FEMA EMI, TEEX, Schmoop, and B&M

Eastern Gateway Community College is free to union members!
Anyone can take advantage by joining Working America.
[-] The following 2 users Like syzygylym's post:
  • TwinMom, ztkerls
(05-10-2019, 11:53 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 08:48 PM)jnm0611 Wrote: Hi everyone,

There are 2 options for claiming your Cybersecurity credit.

OPTION 1 (Original Method) TEEX for Cybersecurity
3-10 credits
This method uses the umbrella course names (Cyber 101, 201, 301) on your ACE transcript instead of the individual course names.

Under this method, you would have 3 courses on your ACE transcript (Cyber 101, 201, and 301) worth 10 credits.

Cyber 101 – Cybersecurity for Everyone (was 2 credits –> now 4 credits)
Must complete all 3:
ARW168 Cyber Law and White Collar Crime
ARW174 Cyber Ethics
ARW175 Information Security for Everyone

Cyber 201 – Cybersecurity for IT Professionals (was 2 credits –> now 3 credits)
Must complete all 4:
ARW138 Network Assurance
AWR139 Digital Forensics Basics
ARW173 Information Security Basics
ARW178 Secure Software

Cyber 301 – Cybersecurity for Business Pro (was 2 credits –> now 3 credits)
Must complete all 3:
ARW169 Cyber Incident Analysis and Response
ARW176 Disaster Recovery for Information Systems
ARW177 Information Risk Management

OPTION 2 (NEW Method) TEEX for Cybersecurity   1-11 credits (1 upper level)
Complete each course individually and submit each to ACE for college credit.

ARW168 Cyber Law and White Collar Crime, 2 credits
AWR174 Cyber Ethics, 2 credits
ARW175 Information Security for Everyone, 1 credit
ARW138 Network Assurance & AWR 139 Digital Forensics Basics, 1 credit
ARW173 Information Security Basics, 1 credit
ARW178 Secure Software, 1 credit
ARW169 Cyber Incident Analysis and Response, 1 credit
ARW176 Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, 1 credit
ARW177 Information Risk Management, UPPER LEVEL 1 credit

____

ALEKS math - Charter Oak will require liberal arts credits, so additional maths will help check that box.  They'll all fall into the elective slot as lower level.
I took Cyber 101 few months ago and submitted to ACE when it was 2 credits. Does this mean I will be eligible for 4 credits when I send the ACE transcript for eval?
(05-14-2019, 08:01 PM)S2106 Wrote: I took Cyber 101 few months ago and submitted to ACE when it was 2 credits. Does this mean I will be eligible for 4 credits when I send the ACE transcript for eval?

Credit recommendations depend on the date the course was completed. So if you took the course when it was worth 2 credits, it will still be worth 2 credits today. If you re-take it when its worth 4 credits, the new version will appear on your ACE transcript with a 4 credit recommendation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa
Thank you Merlin.
(05-14-2019, 10:01 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 08:01 PM)S2106 Wrote: I took Cyber 101 few months ago and submitted to ACE when it was 2 credits. Does this mean I will be eligible for 4 credits when I send the ACE transcript for eval?

Credit recommendations depend on the date the course was completed. So if you took the course when it was worth 2 credits, it will still be worth 2 credits today. If you re-take it when its worth 4 credits, the new version will appear on your ACE transcript with a 4 credit recommendation.

Yes - I had my son try this when they first issued new credit eval, and he did get the other credit on his ACE transcript. I would recommend you follow up and press that you get 4 vs 2 because this kind of thing is probably going to get lost in the shuffle- but if you press the issue, you should be awarded the new credit values.
(05-15-2019, 07:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Yes - I had my son try this when they first issued new credit eval, and he did get the other credit on his ACE transcript.  I would recommend you follow up and press that you get 4 vs 2 because this kind of thing is probably going to get lost in the shuffle- but if you press the issue, you should be awarded the new credit values.
Since every credit gets us closer to the goal and the motivational benefit from it makes it worth to ask about it. Thank you Cookderosa for the advice.
(05-15-2019, 07:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Yes - I had my son try this when they first issued new credit eval, and he did get the other credit on his ACE transcript. I would recommend you follow up and press that you get 4 vs 2 because this kind of thing is probably going to get lost in the shuffle- but if you press the issue, you should be awarded the new credit values.

That only applies if the course was completed during the period while the credits were changing or if the OP retakes it. If it the course was taken before the change then they won't change the evaluation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,684 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,287 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,645 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,168 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,621 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso