Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
COSC no longer one of the 'big 3'
COSC makes it more difficult to complete degrees because if you take a break they charge an almost $300 'student fee' for the privilege of not being withdrawn as a student.  You don't have to pay it but then you have to be rematriculated and will likely lose credits. 
They also are now only accepting 3 FEMA credits.

There is now only a 'Big 2'
(12-20-2018, 03:33 PM)bnm Wrote: COSC makes it more difficult to complete degrees because if you take a break they charge an almost $300 'student fee' for the privilege of not being withdrawn as a student.  You don't have to pay it but then you have to be rematriculated and will likely lose credits. 
They also are now only accepting 3 FEMA credits.

There is now only a 'Big 2'

The Big 3 are the Big 3 because they don't have a real residency requirement. At most, you have to take six credits with them. Most schools require 30 or more credits. They are also the Big 3 because they accept almost all ACE/NCCRS credits without limit.

TESU long had a large enrollment fee, and it was replaced with a residency waiver that is still pretty sizable. Excelsior has also long had an enrollment fee. TESU hasn't accepted FEMA IS courses in years; Excelsior won't accept them directly. COSC used to not accept FEMA credits directly. If you want to keep costs down at COSC, enroll when you're almost finished. That's what TESU and EC students did for years.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 5 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, jsd, Muldoon, topdog98, vpassenheim
I hate fees just as much as the next person and I don't agree with some of the ways the big 3 structure their fees. However, limiting FEMA credits and adding in an extra fee doesn't disqualify them from the big 3 in the grand scheme of things.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • davewill, topdog98
They still are the Big 3.

If they ever require 30 SH from them they will lose that status.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • topdog98, vpassenheim
Interestingly, many people are pointing to them as the potential new "chosen one" with TESU changing some policies. So while you may consider them no longer one of the big 3, many others think they're taking the lead over the other 2
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • cookderosa
If it's true that COSC only accepts three FEMA credits now, someone will have to reevaluate the typical cost for the more popular degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-20-2018, 06:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Interestingly, many people are pointing to them as the potential new "chosen one" with TESU changing some policies. So while you may consider them no longer one of the big 3, many others think they're taking the lead over the other 2

When I started this process back in 2010-2011, I was "attending" COSC along with rebel100 and burbuja0512. I applied and was working on my degree plan for several months before real life caught up with me and I had to postpone until I returned in late 2017. When I came back I ended up at TESU because my interests had changed; they offered the BSBA CIS focus and their degree plans seemed more streamlined with fewer UL requirements.

Given the recent changes, if I was starting today I'd probably go with WGU for their BSCS or BSSD degree instead. COSC doesn't offer any degrees I'd be interested in, and in my recollection, their degree planning process was much more cumbersome to navigate. It may be more streamlined now though. For someone interested in a standard BBA, they will probably be a superior option to TESU once July hits... primarily for monetary reasons.

(12-20-2018, 06:37 PM)sanantone Wrote: If it's true that COSC only accepts three FEMA credits now, someone will have to reevaluate the typical cost for the more popular degrees.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That does make them a bit less useful. I still have like 10-12 FEMA credits sitting in my back pocket that I haven't been able to use towards a degree since moving from COSC to TESU invalidated my opportunity to use them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-20-2018, 06:39 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 06:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Interestingly, many people are pointing to them as the potential new "chosen one" with TESU changing some policies. So while you may consider them no longer one of the big 3, many others think they're taking the lead over the other 2

When I started this process back in 2010-2011, I was "attending" COSC along with rebel100 and burbuja0512. I applied and was working on my degree plan for several months before real life caught up with me and I had to postpone until I returned in late 2017. When I came back I ended up at TESU because my interests had changed; they offered the BSBA CIS focus and their degree plans seemed more streamlined with fewer UL requirements.

Given the recent changes, if I was starting today I'd probably go with WGU for their BSCS or BSSD degree instead. COSC doesn't offer any degrees I'd be interested in, and in my recollection, their degree planning process was much more cumbersome to navigate. It may be more streamlined now though. For someone interested in a standard BBA, they will probably be a superior option to TESU once July hits... primarily for monetary reasons.

(12-20-2018, 06:37 PM)sanantone Wrote: If it's true that COSC only accepts three FEMA credits now, someone will have to reevaluate the typical cost for the more popular degrees.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That does make them a bit less useful. I still have like 10-12 FEMA credits sitting in my back pocket that I haven't been able to use towards a degree since moving from COSC to TESU invalidated my opportunity to use them.

(12-20-2018, 07:34 PM)nosey561 Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 06:39 PM)Merlin Wrote:

"You don't have to pay it but then you have to be rematriculated and will likely lose credits" 
In other words, you can get out of the $300 fee by re-applying and paying $50, but you might lose some credits. Most applicants will not lose credits,unless they have FEMA credits or similar,which are now limited.

If someone is going for cheapest possible, being limited to 3 FEMA credits shouldn't affect it too much, provided they use CLEP/MS for as much of the degree as possible,assuming MS continues to pay for CLEPs for the foreseeable future. Even switching to using some $9 OD courses would hardly affect the total degree cost.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa
Plus COSC has the GRE option.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,167 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,621 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso