Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC vs TESU? Degree Plan needed
My son just finished an associates in Liberal Art from SNHU/online charter school. We were planning on TESU for Bachelors in English but due to some of the posts I have been reading, I am wondering if COSC may be a better route?

Does anyone have an up to date resource comparing pros and cons of the two? I've read quite a few posts and I know some things have change of late.

TESU: Requires less UL credit, but Cornerstone will change after July.

Charter Oak - takes all kinds of credits, but requires 30 UL? And requires lab science, which he has. And what's up with the $245 per semester fee?

TESU has an English degree, but Charter Oak has General Studies with a concentration? I also could see my son doing the communication concentration.

From what I read, COSC seems to have better customer service? @dfrecore I heard you have expertise.

Here is what he has as of now for credits:
In Progress:
English E182m (Harvard extension – graduate level)

Southern New Hampshire University, 33 credits:
English Comp 1
English Comp 2
Creative Writing
Applied Finite Math
American Politics
Humanities 201
Humanities 202
Physical Science with lab
Pubic Speaking
Intro to Communications (126)
Personal Finance

Community College 9 credits:
College Math (not remedial)
Personal Fitness & Nutrition (Biology 1290)
Intro to Music (105)

Clep 18 credits:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Intro to Sociology
Principles of Marketing
U.S. History 1
U.S. History 2
English Literature

Other 2 credits:
Ethics 312, The Institutes

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
Is your son 18 or older? TESU's normal age restriction is 21 or over, but since your son has an associates he may be eligible for the 18-20 age waiver. https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Ah! He is 19 so I guess he'd need a waiver for that. Thanks!
For what it's worth, the waiver is not difficult to get. Basically all he'll have to do is fill out an extra form with his application
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Clepper43
I personally think that having a degree in 'something' is better than general studies; especially at a younger age.  A General Studies (or Liberal Studies) degree is good when you already have a bunch of credits that don't apply well to another degree, or when Quick is the priority (as in you can't get that promotion, or apply for that job, because you don't have a bachelor degree and need one ASAP).  Because your son is so young I'd recommend spending a little extra $, maybe a little more time, and get a specific AOS degree, such as the BA in English, or Communications, as you suggested.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Clepper43
(02-25-2019, 02:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: For what it's worth, the waiver is not difficult to get. Basically all he'll have to do is fill out an extra form with his application

Agree. And send in your transcripts with 24 credits from an RA college or they will ask you to take the Accuplacer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • Clepper43
(02-25-2019, 09:22 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: TESU: Requires less UL credit, but Cornerstone will change after July.

FYI, the cornerstone has already changed for anyone who applied to TESU on or after Jan 1st, 2019 as they fall under the 2019A catalog. The only people who have the option of taking the old cornerstone through the end of June are those who are on the older catalogs. So if you weren't already in applied status before the end of 2018, you're required to take the new cornerstone course either way. At least the new cornerstone course also fulfills the information literacy requirement, so that saves you from having to take one GE course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Clepper43
COSC doesn't have an English degree, but they do have a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in English.  Not sure if this makes a difference?

Regarding your courses, I couldn't tell how many credits things were, so I assumed 3cr for everything (including lab) - fix if this is incorrect.  I also have no idea what the title of the Harvard Ext course is, so no idea if it will work as a requirement or not (vs UL English elective).  I also don't know if the Creative Writing course was UL or not, so I assumed not.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Clepper43 TESU BA in English.xlsx (Size: 38.81 KB / Downloads: 34)
.xlsx   Clepper43 COSC BA-1page.xlsx (Size: 95.9 KB / Downloads: 34)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-25-2019, 08:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC doesn't have an English degree, but they do have a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in English.  Not sure if this makes a difference?

Regarding your courses, I couldn't tell how many credits things were, so I assumed 3cr for everything (including lab) - fix if this is incorrect.  I also have no idea what the title of the Harvard Ext course is, so no idea if it will work as a requirement or not (vs UL English elective).  I also don't know if the Creative Writing course was UL or not, so I assumed not.

THANKS SO MUCH for this! You are so good at it. : )

The credits are 3 each. The Harvard course is Poetry in America: From the Civil War through Modernism and is a graduate course. I was told it would come in at UL most likely. The Creative Writing is English 226 so not upper level. 

Curious why you didn't include the COSC total cost? Or did I miss it? And when it says "40 more classes" on the COSC sheet, do you mean credits? I think I was counting 14 classes?

What about the $284 (out of state) student fee per semester? Would that be only if you are enrolled and taking classes ( cornerstone and capstone?) I probably could get that info from COSC directly but I am trying now to decide which degree and which school. 

The cornerstone and capstone from COSC will be 3 credits each (out of state $1224) for a total of  $$2448. Costs would be then - any other fees, SDC or other, and per semester fee? Sorry so many questions but I am just trying to get my head around it Smile

Thanks again for this input!
COSC requires 30 UL total, not 30UL in your AOS. You only need 18 in your AOS and 12 from any other sources. Your Capstone would count for 3, so that leaves 15 for your AOS.

Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays 3UL
Shmoop - Victorian Literature 3UL
Shmoop - The Bible as Literature 3UL

Shmoop Shakespeare SHOULD come in as ENG 320 and take care of your Shakespeare requirement. It has for other users, and I'm going to try myself, but you need to confirm for your son. The other two Shmoops can be UL electives, as long as COSC continues accepting them as such.

I would see if the CSU-Pueblo's Women Writers of Science Fiction might count as your literature of diversity? You would need to contact the registrar and see.

Study.com has ENG 310: Short Stories, which transfers in as ENG 304: American Short Stories. It doesn't look like COSC is taking the Advanced Technical Writing at SDC as UL anymore, but I would ask COSC about it to be sure.

BYU Independent Study has several UL courses to offer.

The real issues will be Non-Western Lit., Literature of Diversity, and Literary Theory. I transferred Literary Theory from a B&M, and I haven't seen any independent study courses for it, but I may be missing it somewhere. I took Diversity in Literature back when Adams State offered it. They no longer do. You might be able to convince COSC to accept a Women's Lit. Course. I know that ENG 302: World Literature for Children at COSC count's as Non-Western and is UL.

Ultimately, I don't think you'll get out of COSC without taking one or two classes with them and/or taking an Independent Study course from somewhere. That would be the biggest downside I can foresee.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • Clepper43, hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 52 38 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 37 1 hour ago
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 82 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,662 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 183 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,533 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 112 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 204 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 620 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32