Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRHE's Introduction to Home Education class
The Coalition for Responsible Home Education (CRHE) just released an 8-week online course taught by Dr. Chelsea McCracken:

Quote:Introduction to Home Education is an online course designed to help prepare you and your child for a successful homeschooling experience. The course will cover the most important topics a new home educator will need to know, including understanding and fulfilling legal requirements for homeschooling in your state; setting educational goals and reflecting on your values as a home educator; selecting and designing your child’s curriculum and learning materials; and assessing your child’s learning. 
- HEDU-300 course page

CRHE is a reputable, secular nonprofit and advocacy group for homeschoolers in the United States. It looks like this is the first time they've tried to branch out into course offerings, so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

It's non-credit and costs $300, but they do offer scholarships for financial need. Might be worth checking out if you know someone new to homeschooling (a lot of folks are starting because of COVID-19) that will benefit from formal training.
[-] The following 2 users Like scorpion's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
Honestly, there are tons of free resources out there, I can't imagine paying $300 for this. Or get The Well-Trained Mind, or A Thomas Jefferson Education, or Charlotte Mason, or whatever - a book for like $20 or less. You can also go to homeschool conferences for like $25 and get more information than you could hope to ingest.

Plus, a TON of homeschool curriculum is SO easy to teach your kids.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Your post is interesting, but I also think it's too expensive. I don't know if your information is worthier than the one you can find online and free.
(06-26-2020, 10:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Honestly, there are tons of free resources out there, I can't imagine paying $300 for this.  Or get The Well-Trained Mind, or A Thomas Jefferson Education, or Charlotte Mason, or whatever - a book for like $20 or less.  You can also go to homeschool conferences for like $25 and get more information than you could hope to ingest.

Plus, a TON of homeschool curriculum is SO easy to teach your kids.

Where are you going to a conference today? Haven't had any type of conference in months in my state. This course is probably geared to the new people thrown into schooling at home.
(06-27-2020, 11:19 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Where are you going to a conference today? Haven't had any type of conference in months in my state. This course is probably geared to the new people thrown into schooling at home.

Several state organizations were able to do online conferences. A few other organizations that have done online conferences for a few years continued with those. In my area, some local ones were organized on zoom just for local people getting started.

Here is one of the larger organizations (Great Homeschool Conventions) that went to online. Free for the basic workshops and $30 for the upgrade package with extras. Good for rest of 2020
https://greathomeschoolconventions.com/locations/online
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

It is a little spendy. But, for people who never considered homeschooling before nor ever thought that they'd have to homeschool their children, it's probably going to be a bargain. You can't utilize those other resources if you don't know that they exist. They may be well-known in homeschooling circles, but the average person isn't going to know about them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
And here is another that may be well known in some circles but not to newbies, and costs less than the original topic of the thread. Just like the information on this forum is known to some and well known to the average person out there, there are lots of things out there for people who are looking to get started. Options are good. Hope sharing those options helps someone who lands here on a search

The HECOA (Home Education Council of America) Not Back to School Online Summitt.
https://hecoa.com/not-back-to-school

wanted to add this resource as another options (no such thing as one thing works for all. and some people may need to spend less than the 8 week course both in time and money) HSLDA has free blog articles to get started with basics too. Looks like covers similar topics https://hslda.org/teaching-my-kids/starting-strong

hope some of the resources help.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(06-27-2020, 12:01 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 11:19 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Where are you going to a conference today? Haven't had any type of conference in months in my state. This course is probably geared to the new people thrown into schooling at home.

Several state organizations were able to do online conferences.  A few other organizations that have done online conferences for a few years continued with those.  In my area, some local ones were organized on zoom just for local people getting started.  

Here is one of the larger organizations (Great Homeschool Conventions) that went to online.  Free for the basic workshops and $30 for the upgrade package with extras.  Good for rest of 2020
https://greathomeschoolconventions.com/locations/online

That all sounds great except you already know about all of this. Most parents have no idea where to look for these resources. They don't even know these resources exist. Most parents were thrown into remote learning. They're not truly home schooling. Everyone I know who home schools did a ton of research before jumping in. They weren't thrown into it because of a pandemic which is what has happened to millions of families. Many families are really struggling with this faux remote learning schools are doing and look to be continuing into the fall.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-27-2020, 12:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote: That all sounds great except you already know about all of this. Most parents have no idea where to look for these resources. They don't even know these resources exist. Most parents were thrown into remote learning. They're not truly home schooling. Everyone I know who home schools did a ton of research before jumping in. They weren't thrown into it because of a pandemic which is what has happened to millions of families. Many families are really struggling with this faux remote learning schools are doing and look to be continuing into the fall.

and that's why I shared my info and the original poster shared their information.

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • scorpion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 153 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 434 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,911 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 340 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 343 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 465 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Mobile phone use in class bjcheung77 0 250 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 410 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Is an Ivy Education Worth It? Imbanewbie 2 547 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM