Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSM Learn COSC
Hi Folks,

I've heard CSM Learn transfers to COSC as an elective in quantitative literacy?

My son has taken College Algebra and Pre-Calculus. Could he still use CSM to get credit? Would it be a duplicate or would it count as a lower math credit?

Thanks!
Basically, your son should be good, it'll come into COSC as an elective for Liberal Arts credit. It should not duplicate either courses as it should come in as a Quantitative Analysis or Probability/Statistics course. He should take it for $39/3 credits, it's as cheap as that can get, it can come in as a lower level math... BTW, which degree is he going for?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Clepper43, CSMlearn
(03-13-2020, 03:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, your son should be good, it'll come into COSC as an elective for Liberal Arts credit.  It should not duplicate either courses as it should come in as a Quantitative Analysis or Probability/Statistics course.  He should take it for $39/3 credits, it's as cheap as that can get, it can come in as a lower level math... BTW, which degree is he going for?

Business! I know that requires Business Statistics but he does need another elective for the Associates.
I took a bunch of non-duplicating math for my degree at TESU. Once you take something like College Algebra or Stats, the lower-level courses/exams are a breeze.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
So, at the risk of belaboring the issue, is it confirmed from someone's personal experience that Charter Oak will take CSM off an ACE transcript as fulfilling the Mathematics general education requirement?

(I ask point blank like this because it's strange to me that they would when they don't take ALEKS.)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
CSM Learn signed a partnership agreement with COSC. They are now listed on https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php as one of the few acceptable sources of credit. If ALEKS were to sign a partnership agreement (whatever that means), ALEKS would also be accepted.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • CSMlearn, SteveFoerster
(08-19-2021, 03:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote: CSM Learn signed a partnership agreement with COSC. They are now listed on https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php as one of the few acceptable sources of credit. If ALEKS were to sign a partnership agreement (whatever that means), ALEKS would also be accepted.

Ahhhh, thank you very, very much! I haven't looked at that list since my eldest was going through Charter Oak, probably two years ago. Two of his younger siblings who are in the credit accumulation process now are math hesitant, so this might help enormously.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • CSMlearn
I don't know how recent the agreement with COSC is, or what, exactly it entailed, but as of March or April, COSC emphatically, absolutely, without question would not accept CSMLearn to fulfill their quantitative skills requirement. I checked this with multiple people and did my best to escalate it, and I kept getting the same emphatic answer. They said they would honor CSMLearna and grant credit for it, just not to meet the math requirement.

It is one of several seemingly ridiculous, arbitrary policies COSC seems to have that got them eliminated from consideration when I was deciding where to attend.

If the policy has actually changed, that's fantastic news, and at the same time, it's frustrating because there was absolutely no reason why they could not accept it.

It's interesting to me how COSC is by far the smallest of the "Big 3" and it seems like it is constantly making choices that help to engineer itself to stay small.  And that's such a pity, because it seems like a great bunch of people from the conversations I've had.

On a somewhat related note, FWIW, Excelsior had a similar position, though it was even more arbitrary. They would grant credit for it if I had taken the class after October 2020, but since I took it before then, they wouldn't accept it. Nevermind the fact that the course had not changed one whit since I took it, the ACE approval had not changed, or anything else. They simply would not accept it because I took it before they signed the piece of paper with CSMLearn. One of CSMLearn's senior executives intervened and told them there was no difference and that still didin't fix it. And that, too, is part of the reason that TESU ended up with my tuition dollars instead of Excelsior.
Weird. I don't know exactly when CSM signed the partnership agreement but it was pretty quickly, IIRC. I think they made a post about it on the forum but I can't find it. It was certainly before March or April! Maybe it's because it was a similar situation to Excelsior: you took it before the partnership agreement was reached and that made the class invalid. Kinda stupid, IMO.

Wait, I see now. On the CSM site, it doesn't promise to fulfill a math requirement. This is even more arbitrary than I thought.

COSC also does not accept the Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics TECEP to meet requirements. But they accept the DSST "Math for Liberal Arts" as well as the "Contemporary Mathematics" UExcel which is barely 100-level math: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...20pdf2.pdf
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-18-2021, 11:23 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: So, at the risk of belaboring the issue, is it confirmed from someone's personal experience that Charter Oak will take CSM off an ACE transcript as fulfilling the Mathematics general education requirement?

(I ask point blank like this because it's strange to me that they would when they don't take ALEKS.)

I should clarify. COSC does NOT accept CSM as a fulfillment of a math requirement. It only articulates as 3 hours of elective credit. Sorry about the confusion!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,677 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,639 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso