Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CUNY - Online Degree Completion ($4,575! Transfer up to 105 credits out of 120!)
(08-02-2020, 07:56 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Maybe CUNY can make 'The Big Four' ...   If TECEP exam credit can transfer to CUNY as regionally accredited college credit, CUNY can be the fourth best option.

You'd still need 30 CUNY credits, though. COSC, TESU, and EC only require 6 or 7 credits. Not quite the same.
(08-02-2020, 08:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:56 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Maybe CUNY can make 'The Big Four' ...   If TECEP exam credit can transfer to CUNY as regionally accredited college credit, CUNY can be the fourth best option.

You'd still need 30 CUNY credits, though. COSC, TESU, and EC only require 6 or 7 credits. Not quite the same.

No, you need only 15 CUNY credits to graduate.

"To earn a CUNY SPS bachelor’s degree, students must complete 15 credits of CUNY SPS coursework."

That's slightly more than TESU requirements but you can earn 15 CUNY credits within one semester.
And CUNY has way better academic reputation than TESU. CUNY is a real university with over $3 billion dollars of budget.

CUNY would NEVER become part of the Big 3. They're a major university with a massive campus. They're part of the state and city university system of New York State.
So here's summary:

They accept 105 transfer credits out of 120.

- 60 credits must be from a regionally accredited college.
This can be TESU's TECEP exam credits? if TESU lists TECEP exam credit as native credit on their transcript, TECEP credit can be accepted.
or you can try cheap online community college, ASU earned admission ($99 per 3 credits until mid August).

- 45 credits can be from Saylor Academy, CLEP, DSST exams.

- The remaining 15 credits can be earned within one semester at CUNY.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-02-2020, 10:16 PM)nomaduser Wrote: So here's summary:

They accept 105 transfer credits out of 120.

- 60 credits must be from a regionally accredited college.
This can be TESU's TECEP exam credits? if TESU lists TECEP exam credit as native credit on their transcript, TECEP credit can be accepted.
or you can try cheap online community college, ASU earned admission ($99 per 3 credits until mid August).

- 45 credits can be from Saylor Academy, CLEP, DSST exams.

- The remaining 15 credits can be earned within one semester at CUNY.

Well, CUNY does accept more transfer credits than most schools, but not by much. Plenty of schools will accept up to 90 credits in transfer, and many of them have generous ACE transfer policies. You can transfer 90 ACE credits towards a degree at WGU for example, and WGU also accepts NA credits. They don't accept NCCRS or Shmoop credits though.

To be part of the Big 3 (4) CUNY would have to accept at least 113 credits towards their degrees and all of it should be alternative credit. Or that was the case until earlier this year when COSC instituted the 30 RA credit requirement. Personally, I don't see COSC as part of the big 3 anymore because of their new 30 RA credit requirement. But I tend to look at things from the perspective of people who are coming into this forum with no (or very little) transferable RA college credit like I did. 

CUNY would be even less part of the Big (4) given they require 75 RA credits (60 in transfer plus 15 in residency) and are highly restrictive on the type and number of alternative credits they will accept. It seems they only accept Saylor Academy specifically rather than ACE credits in general.

Of course, even if CUNY does accept TECEP exams as traditional RA courses, TESU doesn't offer enough TECEP exams across the various subjects to make 60 credits a reasonable target. At the least, you'd need to add in Excelsior UExcel and CBE's from other colleges, but those can get expensive.

As I mentioned above, trying to complete 45 credits at Saylor will have you pulling your hair out by the end, but it is potentially doable if you are coming in with significant prior knowledge and patience. CLEP makes more sense as a means to burn through GenEds... well, once Covid is behind us and test centers can reopen.

Are you sure that CUNY accepts DSST exams? You didn't mention that initially. They aren't as broadly accepted as CLEP. so most schools don't even know what they are. Not to mention, DSST test centers are getting harder to come by unless you're in the military or have access to a military base.

That all said, CUNY seems like a great degree-completion school. At least for people who already have half of a degree completed from an RA school and are looking for someplace to finish it. For those people, it sounds like a good choice along with the Big 3, WGU, or any of the transfer-friendly schools out there. They are probably a better option than COSC for people who have enough prior credit. It would definitely be a strong choice for people who are looking to graduate from a college with a bit more name recognition.

CUNY is not a good choice for people who are coming in with little to no credits or who don't have the prior knowledge to get through the Saylor courses. For those people, TESU, EC, or WGU are still much better options. At least from my perspective as someone who has been doing this for a while.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
Yes, they accept DSST:
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...xamination

Check "PLA Exam Equivalencies" section. You'll see a list of DSST exams accepted at CUNY.

CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS), allows students to save money and time by earning college credits through college-level exams. Not all exams are accepted and score requirements apply. Students should consult with their advisor prior to scheduling an exam to be sure that the exam fulfills a degree requirement. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu
and CUNY advisor just said they will evaluate other types of ACE credits too but won't guarantee transfer.

"We will consider other ACE credits, but the only ones that will be accepted for certain are on our CUNY SPS Credit for Prior Learning web page. Non-Collegiate Learning lists the credentials and licenses that have been evaluated."
Ok fine sign me up. 5 courses for a BA from City University of New York. Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • nomaduser
(08-03-2020, 04:32 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Ok fine sign me up.  5 courses for a BA from City University of New York.  Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

If anyone can recommend 5 courses (Residency CUNY) you can nail in one semester that are much less rigorous to complete, perhaps LL electives?
If you're serious, right now, the easiest/cheapest would be ASU Earned Admissions courses. But those have to be signed up for ASAP to be able to take them on the 18th.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 801 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 695 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,540 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 294 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 658 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 424 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,429 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 350 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,810 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 774 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh