Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cal State Online Fall 2020
Cali has been a failed state for a while.  Everyone I know is leaving.  My former college room is one (lives in the Bay area and has a camp near Donner Pass).
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • StoicJ
(05-14-2020, 12:48 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Cali has been a failed state for a while.

California has the largest economy in the United States & 5th largest on earth (larger than the UK).. I don't think that constitutes a failed state.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/putting-a...countries/
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • jsd, ss20ts
(05-14-2020, 02:28 AM)harrypotter Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 12:48 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Cali has been a failed state for a while.

California has the largest economy in the United States & 5th largest on earth (larger than the UK).. I don't think that constitutes a failed state.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/putting-a...countries/

It has failed us, believe me.  You can't believe the things that go on here.  Illegals get more than lifelong state residents like myself.  If you're anything but liberal, your vote basically counts for nothing.

The amount of unfunded liabilities is so enormous; it's calculated to be somewhere between $1.25T and $3.79T.  The T stands for TRILLION.  So between $31,000 and $95,000 per Californian.  There are only 2 options to fix this: 1) our taxes will have to go up dramatically to fund these pensions; or 2) the state will go bankrupt, and all of the people getting lifelong checks from the government will be very unhappy that the gravy train is coming to an end. They will get pennies on the dollar, and since most live on the edge, with mortgages and boats and RV's and lifestyles that are supported by the taxpayers forever, with no reason to save or slow down their spending, the economy will come screeching to a halt.

Whichever of these happens, it will cause so much economic damage, you won't believe it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The homeless on the streets in the West Coast make Cali, OR, and WA looks like the 3rd World.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

True colors coming out on the forum.. YIKES.
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • jsd
Living dangerously, I'll post. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between opinions folks have on the shutdown and abortion.
(05-14-2020, 03:12 PM)LongRoad Wrote: Living dangerously, I'll post. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between opinions folks have on the shutdown and abortion.

You're taking your life into your own hands opening up that can of worms. Wink
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jsd
(05-14-2020, 02:19 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: The homeless on the streets in the West Coast make Cali, OR, and WA looks like the 3rd World.

It is easier to be homeless in a temperate climate with moderate temperatures and mostly nice weather; that draws a lot of homeless to those states, and to California in particular. But I wouldn't agree that it looks like the 3rd world. Yeah, it's bad in downtown San Francisco for example, but that isn't the norm everywhere. But every city has homeless... heck they were everywhere when I was last in Hawaii. But for much of the same reason as California.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the homeless population, especially in San Francisco, since they tend to be a drain on local resources without providing any utility. Some actively cause problems for people walking through the city or commuting on BART, etc., though most are benign.

Unfortunately, the local and state governments don't have a solution to help those people become productive members of society. Many of the homeless are also mentally ill and/or have chronic medical issues. The city and state do the humanitarian thing and provide some level of support and protection, but a lot of the homeless cannot or will not get the help they need.

All of that is paid for by our taxes. That, and other programs, is part of why California's taxes and debt are so high. Between those programs and the housing market being so crazy this has also driven up our cost of living to the point where salaries have to be super high to compensate. So, as a fiscal conservative, I agree that a lot of this is untenable in the long run.

Of course, as the world's 5th largest economy, California also has the problems of a small nation to deal with. Some of these expenses are inevitable without larger social change.

And wow, we're really off-topic now. We may need to create a new thread if this conversation is to continue.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jsd
(05-14-2020, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 02:19 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: The homeless on the streets in the West Coast make Cali, OR, and WA looks like the 3rd World.

It is easier to be homeless in a temperate climate with moderate temperatures and mostly nice weather; that draws a lot of homeless to those states, and to California in particular. But I wouldn't agree that it looks like the 3rd world. Yeah, it's bad in downtown San Francisco for example, but that isn't the norm everywhere. But every city has homeless... heck they were everywhere when I was last in Hawaii. But for much of the same reason as California.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the homeless population, especially in San Francisco, since they tend to be a drain on local resources without providing any utility. Some actively cause problems for people walking through the city or commuting on BART, etc., though most are benign.

Unfortunately, the local and state governments don't have a solution to help those people become productive members of society. Many of the homeless are also mentally ill and/or have chronic medical issues. The city and state do the humanitarian thing and provide some level of support and protection, but a lot of the homeless cannot or will not get the help they need.

All of that is paid for by our taxes. That, and other programs, is part of why California's taxes and debt are so high. Between those programs and the housing market being so crazy this has also driven up our cost of living to the point where salaries have to be super high to compensate. So, as a fiscal conservative, I agree that a lot of this is untenable in the long run.

Of course, as the world's 5th largest economy, California also has the problems of a small nation to deal with. Some of these expenses are inevitable without larger social change.

And wow, we're really off-topic now. We may need to create a new thread if this conversation is to continue.

Democrat California governor Gavin Newsom is cutting higher education by $1.7 billion. 
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...es-clearer

Many more Cali students will go to Oregon and Washington colleges to graduate in four years.

(05-13-2020, 08:47 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 07:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: We are seriously considering moving to a state that is opening up just to get away from this nanny state.  It's ridiculous.

Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.

Going under contract for a house in SC at this very moment.  Just flew out Monday, and found a wonderful place.  Can't wait to leave.  All of my tax dollars are leaving CA, the debt per person just went up a little.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ChilliDawg, graduatesoon, Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Halloween 2020! bjcheung77 2 935 10-31-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,423 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  NPR Labeled "State-Affiliated" by Twitter LevelUP 6 774 04-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 418 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,111 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Easiest State to Become a Certified Teacher - Arizona??? sanantone 8 1,239 11-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Antarctic Theocratic State of San Giorgio Alpha 0 450 09-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 450 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 560 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP