Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculus Clep
After taking the calculus clep, will I be ready for Calculus two?
If you're talking about ability to succeed, only you can really answer that question. It depends on how well you learned the material. If you have a reasonable mastery of it, then I don't see why not.

If you're talking about whether the CLEP would count as a prerequisite for taking Calc II at a college someplace, you would really have to ask the individual school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-02-2019, 04:38 PM)Giantzebra Wrote: After taking the calculus clep, will I be ready for Calculus two?

Hi Giantzebra, 

How do you compare the difficulty of the CLEP calculus with varsitytutors practice test (https://www.varsitytutors.com/begin-clep...1-problems) (I saw your previous post)? 

Can you give me other practice sources that you used? 

I'm a foreigner so please don't mind my broken English.

Thank you very much!
I found the second varsity tutors test to be more useful than the first. The first one includes integral rotation and that is not included on the Clep. The second one is fine though. I mainly used Saylor Academy - a free online college (some colleges accept Credit through there too). And, never underestimate the power of Khan Academy! Rootmath has many helpful videos,. There is a guy - professor Rob Bob on youtube who is good too. Paul's notes - a website - is fantastic as well. And, if you have a specific question, try mathstackexchange.com.
Also, there are derivative and integral calculators on the web that have steps - those can be super helpful.
For a full length practice test, try http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/pdf/pract...lculus.pdf. You can also go to your local library's website and see if they have the REA ebook. Mine did. These practice tests were the best ones. Are you just looking for practice tests, or are you still learning? Good luck!
(08-12-2019, 02:23 PM)Giantzebra Wrote: I found the second varsity tutors test to be more useful than the first. The first one includes integral rotation and that is not included on the Clep. The second one is fine though. I mainly used Saylor Academy - a free online college (some colleges accept Credit through there too). And, never underestimate the power of Khan Academy! Rootmath has many helpful videos,. There is a guy - professor Rob Bob on youtube who is good too. Paul's notes - a website - is fantastic as well. And, if you have a specific question, try mathstackexchange.com.
Also, there are derivative and integral calculators on the web that have steps - those can be super helpful.
For a full length practice test, try http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/pdf/pract...lculus.pdf. You can also go to your local library's website and see if they have the REA ebook. Mine did. These practice tests were the best ones. Are you just looking for practice tests, or are you still learning? Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your detailed response.

My case is that I have studied calculus back in high school (in Vietnam). But it was 6 years ago so I have forgotten a lot! I have been reviewing Calculus on and off for the last month and rely on https://modernstates.org/ (to have their free voucher to register for the test). For me, the course is OK, as I have some knowledge in calculus, but I don't think that course would be helpful for anyone learning calculus for the first time.

I will take the test this Thursday so I'm running short of time, my strategy now is that I will do practice tests to see any parts that I need to reinforce rather than going through everything again (which I will do later because I want to have a firm grip on calculus).

Is this the REA book you talked about? https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Calcul...B00CRWLKLM
Thanks a lot again!
Yes, it is. If you have a library card, you may not need to pay for it. All the resources I mentioned above are free. I'm thinking now that Saylor Academy will probably not be helpful in your case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Giantzebra's post:
  • nhan000123
Wink 
I have some more questions:

I think I read that we have to use an online calculator which will be on the screen of the computer. Do you find it slow you down when you solve the problems? Do you find 90 minutes comfortable enough to do all the questions or do you feel a time pressure? (I will probably figure it out when I do the practice test, just to ask you because I don't have much time left and want to know your personal experience). Up till now, I'm still not clear what I can and cannot bring in the exam room. Are these covered in the REA book?

Does the calculator look like this? I have been practicing with it from this website https://ibt2calc.ets.org/index.html but I don't want to be surprised on test day so I ask you for confirmation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8CtanrsPt1YjkPBs9

Thank you so so much!
I found 90 minutes to be enough - you just need to know when you don't really know the problem. Spend what time you can afford on it, and then move on - you can mark it and go back to it if you have time. The on screen calculator is actually a good one, but most questions that a calculator is allowed on do not need one. The one you have is the right one. You can't bring anything into the exam room - but they will give you scrap paper - just ask the proctor when you go. Also, make sure you bring your ticket, your id, and something to pay the proctor fee with. I do not know if it is covered in the REA book - I only used the practice tests.
Thank you so much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,612 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 452 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,782 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 815 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,232 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,611 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,243 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,199 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,065 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,231 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser