Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone help me with a fast degree plan?
If you like working with computers, I think you have options. There are many adaptations that can be made for blind to be able to work with computers. There is a blind man in my community who got a job at a bank. I'm not sure his exact job there but I know they modified a computer for him to be able to do his work. Your biggest hurdle will be with employers willing to hire someone with a disability.
Does anyone already have a plan for charter oaks? I just stumbled on their bs in cyber security. I think inn leaning more toward a computer focused degree, since I'm already a geek. Just took a test on a site and passed a course I've never taken. Maybe we're on to something here.
(05-20-2018, 11:30 AM)sony732 Wrote: Does anyone already have a plan for charter oaks? I just stumbled on their bs in cyber security. I think inn leaning more toward a computer focused degree,  since I'm already a geek. Just took a test on a site and passed a course I've never taken. Maybe we're on to something here.

I don't know about Charter Oaks, but the BS in Network Administration and Security from WGU integrates 14 certs into the program. The tuition of Charter Oaks seems to be fairly outrageous at $400 per credit hour. That's only a few dollars cheaper than Harvard Extension, which actually works out cheaper because of the grants HES give you.

On a side note, have you looked into your employer's long term disability insurance? It would be good to have a backup plan in case you get to a point where you can't work.
[-] The following 3 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • Sapientes, sony732, Yenisei
I agree with alexf, if you want a computer-related degree, then go with WGU. So much cheaper than the Big 3 if you don't already have credits in that area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • alexf.1990
(05-18-2018, 06:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, WGU is also a good choice, I didn't think of them for some reason; maybe because they have a lot less requirements for the Gen Ed area, so for you in particular, you lose a few credits going through them.  BUT, that doesn't mean that they aren't a great choice, as they can be very fast, especially if you can test out of a lot of credits before enrolling, and then get through the rest of your courses in 1-2 terms.

Be aware that while they take ACE courses, they don't take NCCRS (that I know of).  They are also a bit pickier than the Big 3; I would make sure that they will take Study.com courses before taking anything.  The final thing is that they won't take ANY courses after you enroll, so you need to apply, transfer your transcripts, get an eval, determine what you would like to take via testing out/courses, get them preapproved, take the courses/exams, re-submit transcripts and then enroll at that point.

Here's a rough degree plan.

Do you know if there is a max on credits they will accept from testing out options like those used in this forum???
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
(05-21-2018, 01:55 AM)Idreamofadegree Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 06:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, WGU is also a good choice, I didn't think of them for some reason; maybe because they have a lot less requirements for the Gen Ed area, so for you in particular, you lose a few credits going through them.  BUT, that doesn't mean that they aren't a great choice, as they can be very fast, especially if you can test out of a lot of credits before enrolling, and then get through the rest of your courses in 1-2 terms.

Be aware that while they take ACE courses, they don't take NCCRS (that I know of).  They are also a bit pickier than the Big 3; I would make sure that they will take Study.com courses before taking anything.  The final thing is that they won't take ANY courses after you enroll, so you need to apply, transfer your transcripts, get an eval, determine what you would like to take via testing out/courses, get them preapproved, take the courses/exams, re-submit transcripts and then enroll at that point.

Here's a rough degree plan.

Do you know if there is a max on credits they will accept from testing out options like those used in this forum???

Something like 90cr.  But that's fine, because you need to take your courses from them over 1-2 terms anyway.

Keep in mind, they don't have a BALS.  Teaching, Nursing, Business & IT only.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • Idreamofadegree
(05-18-2018, 01:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for TESU's BSBA in General Management.  It's going to be very easy to fulfill the requirements of it, because every course you've taken can be used in it easily.

I would say that with any vision issues, you might want to use Study.com, as they are video-based, so you can watch/listen, rather than only have a textbook to rely on for your courses.

If I were you, I would get started immediately!!  Good luck and I hope your health holds, but I'm glad you're trying to find ways around it if it doesn't.

Hello Dfrecore, I am starting the process of getting my BSBA in General management and happen to stumble across your attachment. Is this a good guide to start? is it still accurate for 2018? I assume so because you've just attached. I have no credits and no college experience but am looking to start my endeavor with Instacert is this a good place to start to take my Gen Eds?

I am very new forgive me for the ignorance I am learning.
(05-30-2018, 02:17 PM)KASmith Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 01:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for TESU's BSBA in General Management.  It's going to be very easy to fulfill the requirements of it, because every course you've taken can be used in it easily.

I would say that with any vision issues, you might want to use Study.com, as they are video-based, so you can watch/listen, rather than only have a textbook to rely on for your courses.

If I were you, I would get started immediately!!  Good luck and I hope your health holds, but I'm glad you're trying to find ways around it if it doesn't.

Hello Dfrecore, I am starting the process of getting my BSBA in General management and happen to stumble across your attachment. Is this a good guide to start? is it still accurate for 2018? I assume so because you've just attached. I have no credits and no college experience but am looking to start my endeavor with Instacert is this a good place to start to take my Gen Eds?

Here is my most recent BSBA in GM spreadsheet.

I would start with the free courses, although I don't advocate spending a lot of time on the TEEX courses if they take too long.

As for what is the best way to start, IC is not MY personal favorite, as I'm not great at memorizing things in that way (now that I'm in my 40's) but if you want to give it a shot, it certainly can't hurt.

Read this forum, and see what the different ways are, and try out a bunch if you want.  I liked Study.com and Sophia the best, Ed4Credit was good, ALEKS was good for math up to a point, I took TECEP's, CLEP & DSST on things I already knew.  Every course provider has it's pros & cons, figuring out what works for you is key.  You don't have to stick with any single one, although a lot of people do so because they get into a rhythm of it, which is good too.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 40.98 KB / Downloads: 25)
(05-30-2018, 02:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 02:17 PM)KASmith Wrote:

Here is my most recent BSBA in GM spreadsheet.

I would start with the free courses, although I don't advocate spending a lot of time on the TEEX courses if they take too long.

As for what is the best way to start, IC is not MY personal favorite, as I'm not great at memorizing things in that way (now that I'm in my 40's) but if you want to give it a shot, it certainly can't hurt.

Read this forum, and see what the different ways are, and try out a bunch if you want.  I liked Study.com and Sophia the best, Ed4Credit was good, ALEKS was good for math up to a point, I took TECEP's, CLEP & DSST on things I already knew.  Every course provider has it's pros & cons, figuring out what works for you is key.  You don't have to stick with any single one, although a lot of people do so because they get into a rhythm of it, which is good too.

In terms of cost effectiveness would you say that Saylor is the best option?

I can devote a large quantity of time and maybe knock out a significant amount of credits so saylors subscription based model might benefit me. I notice your spreadsheet has the cost per course at $100, when going through Sophia it’s much more expensive where does the $100 come from?

I already started intro to sociology with Sophia so I’m gonna finish this one but for the price I am wondering if the other options are less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(05-30-2018, 10:06 PM)KASmith Wrote: In terms of cost effectiveness would you say that Saylor is the best option?

I can devote a large quantity of time and maybe knock out a significant amount of credits so saylors subscription based model might benefit me. I notice your spreadsheet has the cost per course at $100, when going through Sophia it’s much more expensive where does the $100 come from?

I already started intro to sociology with Sophia so I’m gonna finish this one but for the price I am wondering if the other options are less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

I have found that for the vast majority of people on this forum, $100 per course is actually a little high.  But I think it's a good start to see what it would cost.

Saylor is not subscription-based, it's free for courses, and then you pay $25 for online proctoring.  Their course material is not the best, so I'm not sure it's the fastest way to learn.

Study.com is $199/mo, and includes unlimited courses, plus 2 proctored exams.  If you want to do another course in that month, then each additional (after the first 2) is $70.  Study.com is video-based, with quizzes after each lesson.  Straighterline (SL) is also subscription-based, at $99/mo + $59 (usually) per course.  It's etextbook-based.  I could go on, but there are posts on here already that tell what each course provider is like, cost, what people think, etc.

Your best bet is to start reading through this forum on a daily basis, spending 1-2 hours on it reading new posts, from the beginning.  That will give you a good start to understanding what's going on.
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 586 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 266 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 610 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,730 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 499 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 284 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 850 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,235 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,831 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74