Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can one get credit for both upper level and lower level classes w/same topic
Hi, folks.

I have a couple of classes left to finish at TESU, and a couple of the courses I was interested in taking at TESU are upper-level courses in counseling and psychology that have the same or similar course title to courses I already took at community college.

My first thought is that I could probably not take these again as upper level classes, as it would duplicate material I've already studied ... but then again, the course material they describe in the syllabus appears to be fairly different, and more in depth, from the community college classes.

Anyone have experience with this?  I have arranged an appointment with a counselor next week, but was trying to do as much preparation as I can before the meeting to optimize time use.

Thanks!
Yes, you should be fine. For instance, if you took Abnormal Psych at CC, and it came in as PSY-235, and then you take the UL version at TESU, it will come in as PSY-350 and count separately. It's actually what I recommend if you can do it - an UL and LL makes it all just much easier to study for.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • manmanthegr8, studyingfortests
(05-14-2021, 03:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, you should be fine.  For instance, if you took Abnormal Psych at CC, and it came in as PSY-235, and then you take the UL version at TESU, it will come in as PSY-350 and count separately.  It's actually what I recommend if you can do it - an UL and LL makes it all just much easier to study for.

That's interesting because I have a lower-level version of a hard requirement (1 Computer Architecture course). I suppose this is more of a question for TESU but do you know if it will fill an upper-level elective slot instead of the architecture slot? If not, I will try reaching out to TESU for more answers.
(05-14-2021, 07:36 PM)manmanthegr8 Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 03:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, you should be fine.  For instance, if you took Abnormal Psych at CC, and it came in as PSY-235, and then you take the UL version at TESU, it will come in as PSY-350 and count separately.  It's actually what I recommend if you can do it - an UL and LL makes it all just much easier to study for.

That's interesting because I have a lower-level version of a hard requirement (1 Computer Architecture course). I suppose this is more of a question for TESU but do you know if it will fill an upper-level elective slot instead of the architecture slot? If not, I will try reaching out to TESU for more answers.

Unfortunately, no it will not take an upper level slot even if it has the same name, the reason is because all lower level courses taken at any college/university for transfer into TESU will remain at the lower level. You will need to take an upper level course from Study.com or another provider if you're missing upper level requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-14-2021, 07:36 PM)manmanthegr8 Wrote:

It really depends on the course and the degree.  If it's for the BSIT degree - they MAY accept it for the requirement; assuming that you had enough UL credit to make up for the lack in that particular requirement.

The only way to find out is to apply, send the transcript, and see what they do with that course.  If they won't take it for that requirement, then you should be able to use it for GE, and then take the Study.com course for the UL credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,733 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 615 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 768 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  BS CIS Upper Level AOS jg_nuy 21 1,557 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 1,027 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  Credit distribution Kones 6 510 10-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Kones
  90 credit max transfer, does that include TECEPs? Math avoidant 21 2,881 08-01-2023, 03:25 AM
  TESU ENS-360 Credit from Lawshelf Niketay 1 446 07-28-2023, 09:19 PM
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,156 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Another source of cheap NCCRS credit Avidreader 8 1,115 06-11-2023, 02:14 AM