Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Focus: Going Father Down the Rabbit Holes
TESU has a BA in Psychology, not a BS, and you could be most of the way there already.

Charter Oak has a BS in Psychology and you certainly have enough RA credit to make it work. Not sure if their psychology degree can be tested out of (I think so? But possibly not since they don't accept Coopersmith).

Excelsior also has a BS in Psychology. They do accept Coopersmith, IIRC. They also have no application fee if you have taken 2 courses at Sophia or 2 courses at Study.com. They don't accept as many courses from SDC and other alternate sources as TESU does but they do have a discount (when you transfer in 2 SDC or Sophia courses) if you take at least 12 credits through them instead of the bare minimum of 7. This can make them more cost-effective than TESU in some cases.

The best thing to do, IMO, would be to sign up at Sophia and take a couple of classes real quick to allow you to waive Excelsior's app fee. I would suggest Intro to Psychology and maybe Algebra because you will need those no matter which school you choose. Approaches to Studying Religions would be faster than Algebra, though, and might be a better choice. Once you've taken those courses at Sophia, apply to TESU and Excelsior. You can also apply to Charter Oak if you want. This will let you see what they think of your classes and how close you are to their Psychology degree.
Does Excelsior have similar enrollment rules as Charter Oak or is it completely open enrollment like TESU?
(09-21-2020, 05:39 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Does Excelsior have similar enrollment rules as Charter Oak or is it completely open enrollment like TESU?

I'm surprised to hear people think Charter Oak is harder to get into. Or is that not what you mean and I misunderstood you?
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
That is not what I meant. TESU has open enrollment but do not have to pay per semester, while Charter Oak you do.

So was wondering if Excelsior is more like Charter Oak or more like TESU.

Neither of the three are hard to get into.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(09-21-2020, 05:39 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Does Excelsior have similar enrollment rules as Charter Oak or is it completely open enrollment like TESU?

Don't know what you mean by similar enrollment rules? EC requires you to complete 7 credits with them - Info Lit, Cornerstone, and Capstone. They have fees which need to be paid as well. You have the option to take classes at EC for a reduction in fees, but then you're paying for tuition.
TESU allows you to enroll, transfer credits, take one course to lock in catalog and then you pay zero unless you enroll in a class with them or are ready to graduate and have to pay the remaining fees.

Charter Oak you have to pay per semester, cannot just sit idly after enrollment, so if EC allows the same as TESU then it is nice especially without the residency waiver fee.
(09-21-2020, 01:36 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: TESU allows you to enroll, transfer credits, take one course to lock in catalog and then you pay zero unless you enroll in a class with them or are ready to graduate and have to pay the remaining fees.

Charter Oak you have to pay per semester, cannot just sit idly after enrollment, so if EC allows the same as TESU then it is nice especially without the residency waiver fee.

EC is different. You can apply but when you do they want you to enroll and begin your classes with them. You can continue to take classes elsewhere and transfer them in, but some advisors are snotty about it. They want you to pay for their classes which aren't cheap. The advisors also aren't super helpful about taking classes elsewhere and what they will transfer in as. At EC, your enrollment fee covers 1 year. It's an annual fee so no I wouldn't sit idly by after enrolling. I'd be ready to finish my 7 credits there and have everything else completed. Your 3 EC courses are semester based as well. Info Lit is 1 credit and can be completed in a week. Cornerstone must be taken prior to Capstone. You take either one for 8 weeks or 15 weeks.
Thanks, from the look of it, TESU is really better in many aspects as it is more realistic in what an adult learner needs, and it is relatively cheap and has a wider choice of degrees.
(09-21-2020, 02:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: EC is different. You can apply but when you do they want you to enroll and begin your classes with them. You can continue to take classes elsewhere and transfer them in, but some advisors are snotty about it. They want you to pay for their classes which aren't cheap. The advisors also aren't super helpful about taking classes elsewhere and what they will transfer in as. At EC, your enrollment fee covers 1 year. It's an annual fee so no I wouldn't sit idly by after enrolling. I'd be ready to finish my 7 credits there and have everything else completed. Your 3 EC courses are semester based as well. Info Lit is 1 credit and can be completed in a week. Cornerstone must be taken prior to Capstone. You take either one for 8 weeks or 15 weeks.

My daughter is finding this out. Her emails from her EC enrollment officer / advisor hasn't been too friendly or helpful, possibly because since she's 17...and they might feel it's pointless since she can't be admitted.

(09-21-2020, 05:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU has a BA in Psychology, not a BS, and you could be most of the way there already.

Charter Oak has a BS in Psychology and you certainly have enough RA credit to make it work. Not sure if their psychology degree can be tested out of (I think so? But possibly not since they don't accept Coopersmith).

Excelsior also has a BS in Psychology. They do accept Coopersmith, IIRC. They also have no application fee if you have taken 2 courses at Sophia or 2 courses at Study.com. They don't accept as many courses from SDC and other alternate sources as TESU does but they do have a discount (when you transfer in 2 SDC or Sophia courses) if you take at least 12 credits through them instead of the bare minimum of 7. This can make them more cost-effective than TESU in some cases.

The best thing to do, IMO, would be to sign up at Sophia and take a couple of classes real quick to allow you to waive Excelsior's app fee. I would suggest Intro to Psychology and maybe Algebra because you will need those no matter which school you choose. Approaches to Studying Religions would be faster than Algebra, though, and might be a better choice. Once you've taken those courses at Sophia, apply to TESU and Excelsior. You can also apply to Charter Oak if you want. This will let you see what they think of your classes and how close you are to their Psychology degree.

I recall we used to have degree plans on the forum where we can plug and play our existing credits. Do we still have that? Or were they removed because they became outdated quickly? 

I pop in every once in awhile, so I'm not tracking this.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
[-] The following 1 user Likes warriortaupou's post:
  • samiam
(09-25-2020, 11:17 AM)warriortaupou Wrote: I recall we used to have degree plans on the forum where we can plug and play our existing credits. Do we still have that? Or were they removed because they became outdated quickly? 

I pop in every once in awhile, so I'm not tracking this.

They get outdated too quickly to be of use. We do have the degree planning section. But, even so, there is some uncertainty when it comes to transferring in classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • warriortaupou

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LinkedIN and other job fishing holes High_Order1 21 3,869 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Happy Father's Day 2013 ShotoJuku 0 671 06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Happy Father's Day 2012 ShotoJuku 2 835 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Getting a pre-teen to FOCUS jackbanta 20 2,153 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Last Post: jackbanta
  Happy Father's Day 2011 ShotoJuku 1 880 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Happy Father's Day 2010 ShotoJuku 0 768 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Happy Father's Day! ShotoJuku 3 943 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Last Post: nick94
  My Father's Hands barcotta 12 2,297 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Gary
  Happy Father's Day! ShotoJuku 5 1,165 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Last Post: DetroitSki
  How do you maintain focus on objective? Lindagerr 11 2,608 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Last Post: lrgaul