Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we disable necroposting on this forum?
I had the same question. Also, the ‘rules’ of this forum seem to vary according to the whims and fancies of some members. Sometimes, one is discouraged from starting new threads, as it creates too many discussions on the same topic. Then again, one is expected not to revive old threads, as it is ‘necroposting.’ Could someone please create a very detailed ‘ethics code’ and instruction manual for this forum, that can be followed by everyone? And define issues like how old of a post ‘can’ be revived, and when not?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(04-06-2019, 09:07 AM)cookderosa Wrote: a lot of people get tripped up on old threads?  How many is a lot? These feels like a big reaction to a minor annoyance.  I just looked it up, and this community makes 58.29 per day.  We get a really old revived post how often? Once a day? Once a week?  Once a month?  I'm missing why this is a big deal.

It depends on what you consider necroposting. I've noticed it several times in the last few weeks where people start replying to very old threads and don't realize it. Some people even reply to dead threads just to reactivate them. I think people shouldn't do that.

It isn't a big deal in most cases, but there are so many new posts every day that it would help to clean things up to improve the forum.

The big BUT to this is that if you're in a crunch, an old post could totally throw you off and cost you money if you're between recurring charges for SL or SDC. If there are several replies, you aren't going to think to go and look at page one to see whether people are necroposting.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(04-06-2019, 11:03 AM)Supermind Wrote: I had the same question. Also, the ‘rules’ of this forum seem to vary according to the whims and fancies of some members. Sometimes, one is discouraged from starting new threads, as it creates too many discussions on the same topic. Then again, one is expected not to revive old threads, as it is ‘necroposting.’ Could someone please create a very detailed ‘ethics code’ and instruction manual for this forum, that can be followed by everyone? And define issues like how old of a post ‘can’ be revived, and when not?

Regular members don't make rules; they have opinions. Moderators and administrators enforce rules. As far as I know, there is no rule on reviving old threads. Whether a thread is new or old, it's best to start your own thread if you have a question that requires a detailed answer specific to your own situation instead of hijacking someone else's help thread because it causes confusion.

If people are talking about a general topic, such as trying out the new TEEX courses, then there isn't a reason for every person to have his or her own thread.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-06-2019, 11:03 AM)Supermind Wrote: I had the same question. Also, the ‘rules’ of this forum seem to vary according to the whims and fancies of some members. Sometimes, one is discouraged from starting new threads, as it creates too many discussions on the same topic. Then again, one is expected not to revive old threads, as it is ‘necroposting.’ Could someone please create a very detailed ‘ethics code’ and instruction manual for this forum, that can be followed by everyone? And define issues like how old of a post ‘can’ be revived, and when not?

Well, I think you could even let people do what they want, but the moderators should step in and block posting on some outdated threads. For example, recently, some people started replying to a six-year old thread without realizing it. Replies could just be blocked to prevent it from catching other members.

There's a coupon thread for SL with a bunch of replies which could be retired. If someone clicks on the first page, they might not realize what they're reading is from two years ago. Even worse, I think the coupon still works, but people may not use it if they DO notice the thread is so old. That's why I think some maintenance would benefit everyone.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
The SL codes thread is exactly why I'd support leaving it as is. Frankly, I don't want to see 50 different threads about new codes and I like that they are all in one place. Since I don't use SL anymore, I ignore the thread unless I'm specifically looking for a code, in which case I just go to the last page. But, I've also been here awhile so I tend to remember which threads are which.

I also agree that since information changes so frequently, it makes sense to allow people to post updates on older threads when that information is no longer accurate, in the event members are searching for that subject.

People hijacking an existing thread for help instead of making their own post is a separate issue, IMO.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • sanantone
(04-06-2019, 05:08 PM)Muldoon Wrote: The SL codes thread is exactly why I'd support leaving it as is. Frankly, I don't want to see 50 different threads about new codes and I like that they are all in one place. Since I don't use SL anymore, I ignore the thread unless I'm specifically looking for a code, in which case I just go to the last page. But, I've also been here awhile so I tend to remember which threads are which.

I also agree that since information changes so frequently, it makes sense to allow people to post updates on older threads when that information is no longer accurate, in the event members are searching for that subject.

People hijacking an existing thread for help instead of making their own post is a separate issue, IMO.

I agree. We don't need multiple threads for SL codes. You can always look up a code to see the expiration date. You can also just enter it; if it's expired, then it won't be accepted. If there is the rare occasion that an old code from a year or two ago still works, I don't see how locking a thread will prevent people from ignoring the code. It's not like people will make a new thread to talk about an old code. If they just so happen to find out that the code still works, then they can post in the existing thread. Why would a person not look at the latest posts in a discount codes thread? Wouldn't you want to know the newest codes?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-06-2019, 01:51 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Regular members don't make rules; they have opinions. Moderators and administrators enforce rules. As far as I know, there is no rule on reviving old threads. Whether a thread is new or old, it's best to start your own thread if you have a question that requires a detailed answer specific to your own situation instead of hijacking someone else's help thread because it causes confusion.

If people are talking about a general topic, such as trying out the new TEEX courses, then there isn't a reason for every person to have his or her own thread.
True. But it’s hard to understand what’s considered to be ‘right’ on this forum, and what’s not.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I think locking very old posts (maybe after a year or two of inactivity) to new replies is a good idea. This is a common practice on other forums. There have been a lot of changes here through the years. These old posts would still be available to read but wouldn't get resurrected for all to read and wouldn't spread outdated material. If someone has a question, they can always start a new thread to get the most current advice. If someone really needed to bring up an old thread, they could link to it in the new thread. I don't really see a big downside to locking very old threads to new replies.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • davewill
(04-10-2019, 03:16 PM)topdog98 Wrote: I think locking very old posts (maybe after a year or two of inactivity) to new replies is a good idea. This is a common practice on other forums. There have been a lot of changes here through the years. These old posts would still be available to read but wouldn't get resurrected for all to read and wouldn't spread outdated material. If someone has a question, they can always start a new thread to get the most current advice. If someone really needed to bring up an old thread, they could link to it in the new thread. I don't really see a big downside to locking very old threads to new replies.

If our owner and mods see old posts as a problem, I'd vote for locking instead of removing.... but seriously, is this a solution in search of a problem? Every post has the date on it - someone accidentally posts on an old thread, oh well - seriously, we want the volunteers to do more work and track that crap down? Dude. Really.
(04-11-2019, 07:01 PM)cookderosa Wrote: If our owner and mods see old posts as a problem, I'd vote for locking instead of removing.... but seriously, is this a solution in search of a problem?  Every post has the date on it - someone accidentally posts on an old thread, oh well - seriously, we want the volunteers to do more work and track that crap down?  Dude.  Really.

But volunteers wouldn't have to do any more work. The idea was that posts would automatically be locked to new replies after a year or two of inactivity. (There are algorithms for that kind of thing.) No one was suggesting that the moderators search and manually lock every post that is inactive. Yes, that would be ridiculous.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Forum hsufeng 6 729 03-14-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  I missed this forum 2L8 1 990 03-07-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Why do you not post on the other forum? sanantone 41 9,513 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: decimon
  New Forum Software Installed / 3 Weeks Data Lost sgloer 46 11,386 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: davewill
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,595 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  Link to Degree Forum Wiki jmeitrem 5 3,020 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Degreeinfo - Is the sister forum down for good? bjcheung77 10 5,930 09-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Forum Friend Requests dfrecore 18 3,476 09-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What's more telling? School or Degree Program....From the other forum rebel100 7 1,687 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  You know what this forum needs? cookderosa 15 2,494 08-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Exfactor