Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you FOIA Big 3?
On this board, it seems we are often surprised by catalog changes with the Big 3. The information we receive often comes only a couple of months before it become applicable. This sets many of us scrambling.

Do any of you know if the Big 3 have to respond to FOIA requests? If they do, do they only need to reply to requests for state residents? If they do have to reply, are the discussions/meeting notes/etc. of the groups that determine policy something that has to be released? (To clarify, governments have to reply to FOIA requests, but sometimes their reply can be that there are statutes that allow them not to provide in the information. In other words, "No" can be a reply. As in, "In response to your request about upcoming policy changes, COSC/TESU/WHATEVER THE 3RD ONE IS is not required to release this information and chooses not to do so.)

If it is FOIA-ble, it seems like this forum's new year's resolution each year is to write and ask about it.
You can, at least the public funded ones (COSC, TESU). Not sure about EC as it is private.
The board meetings are available, maybe more. I'm not sure you will be able to get information sooner, as FOIA can take quite some time. Also the information might not be available due to other reasons, for example if it isn't a big decision for them they wouldn't have to document it in advance / have background information on file.
Why don't you give it a try? Ask them about the partner agreements, ACE and transfer policies and have them include anything related.
(05-11-2020, 07:07 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: You can, at least the public funded ones (COSC, TESU). Not sure about EC as it is private.
The board meetings are available, maybe more. I'm not sure you will be able to get information sooner, as FOIA can take quite some time. Also the information might not be available due to other reasons, for example if it isn't a big decision for them they wouldn't have to document it in advance / have background information on file.
Why don't you give it a try? Ask them about the partner agreements, ACE and transfer policies and have them include anything related.

Duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Okay, my goal is to write to them within two weeks and ask for information pursuant to FOIA. 

Most (all?) of you are more experienced posters than I and know more about these schools. Please post questions - be specific! - as to what you would like to know and I will request it. My requests will include a dollar limit to what I'm willing to spend, so this might not go too far, but I think lacussucceed has given me a great suggestion. Thanks.
Just brainstorming here. If the schools found these types of request to be an annoyance, and this annoyance seemed to be ongoing, I would expect their path of choice to be a draconian change in policy in which case the annoying people would cease to be an annoyance as the school would no longer be an option. This is just a thought, TBH I can't believe COSC made their big policy chance seeing as we are in a depression (albeit with a central bank levitating stock market magic trick) and every extra student is money in the bank. They must think they are swimming in cash. Maybe they are.
(05-11-2020, 08:06 AM)ARhead Wrote: Just brainstorming here. If the schools found these types of request to be an annoyance, and this annoyance seemed to be ongoing, I would expect their path of choice to be a draconian change in policy in which case the annoying people would cease to be an annoyance as the school would no longer be an option. This is just a thought, TBH I can't believe COSC made their big policy chance seeing as we are in a depression (albeit with a central bank levitating stock market magic trick) and every extra student is money in the bank. They must think they are swimming in cash. Maybe they are.
I don't know if there decision has to do with money. Maybe it was a accreditation thing or could stand in the way with accreditation on the future and wanted to protect that.

Someone can still take 6 credits at COSC so its not like they would get any more money out of it. People can choose to take courses at COSC but they don't have to.

And for us personally if you do 24 credits at NMJC or somewhat else suepr cheap if you get the pell grant then this would actually be cheaper than doing all alt credit. Obviously not everyone gets the pell grant though. If you do all alt credit at NMJC or some other cheap college it increases the degree by less than 2k and still makes it cheaper than TESU. And I feel like anything under 10k for an American RA bachelors is a steal.

When the big 3 were founded it was so adults could complete there degrees with credits they already had. The alt credit thing was a loophole people found out along the way. And if they have a bunch of 18 year olds (or people of any age really) doing degrees by only taking 2 classes they might be worried about their reputation and/or accreditation. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't enact this policy years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like natshar's post:
  • Life Long Learning, LongRoad, Pikachu
(05-11-2020, 08:06 AM)ARhead Wrote: Just brainstorming here. If the schools found these types of request to be an annoyance, and this annoyance seemed to be ongoing, I would expect their path of choice to be a draconian change in policy in which case the annoying people would cease to be an annoyance as the school would no longer be an option. This is just a thought, TBH I can't believe COSC made their big policy chance seeing as we are in a depression (albeit with a central bank levitating stock market magic trick) and every extra student is money in the bank. They must think they are swimming in cash. Maybe they are.

Just a quick glance at CT's FOIA law shows it has a section about "vexatious requesters. If I understand you correctly, you posit that a school might close down because of requests. If my understanding of your position is correct, I doubt my request would be an issue. My local government posts its FOIA requests online. Once it has answered a question, it simply directs all subsequent requesters to that site. Between that option, and CT's "vexatious requesters" statute, I don't think that FOIA requests would get too burdensome.
if I ever got a FOIA from someone I would make sure that person goes on a list of students never to be admitted to the school
True that. Be sure to follow up w/ a FOIA on any forbidden blacklists and discrimination against FOIA requesters.
Whether they are able to have a public records request depends on their state law, and how that state law applies to the institution.  Ohio's Public Records Act spells out that public colleges and universities are subject to disclosing records and lists the rules.  Each public body in Ohio must adopt a Public Records Policy.  

So, check the state where the college or university is located to determine whether or not the Public Records Act applies.

My main question though is this:  Why?  What are you trying to accomplish?  

Having worked in the public sector for most of my career, there IS an axiom - never email or send a memo when a phone call will work.  Never call if you can discuss the matter in person.  

Just sayin'
> never email or send a memo when a phone call will work.

don't leave a paper trail
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • BrianFallon, ss20ts