Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you add a Concentration after you've already graduated?
I graduated with a BALS degree from TESC (yeah it was a college when I graduated) back 2014. They didn't have the Concentration option back then. In any event, I'm kind of semi-retired and looking to do something different in life. So, I'd like to add a concentration by taking several more classes. Does anyone know if this is possible?
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
No, but you can complete an undergraduate certificate.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Daithi
Which concentration are you looking at getting? Depending on what you're looking for - You may be better off going to UMPI for an entire degree with the number of required credits. Or going for another CBE similar to UMPI, but at the Masters level instead, such as Walden...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Daithi
I'm looking for something in Criminal Justice. I'm too old (mid 50s) to become a cop or anything like that, but I'm looking to do something I'd enjoy for the last 15 years or so of my working career. Entry level criminal justice jobs actually appeal to me at this point. I'm looking for something like insurance investigation, probation, PI, who knows.

I'm ex-Army (30 years ago), in good shape, and I've worked as a software developer for 30 years (so not an idiot). I think I just need something on the resume that shows I have an interest in the field to be taken seriously.
Almost certainly cheaper than TESU at this point would be to get a BA in Criminal Justice from UMPI. You've already got one degree, so your gen eds (GEC) requirements should be waived. That'd give you just the 51 CJ credits remaining. https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-crim...stice.aspx

You could whittle that down by taking Criminal Justice 104: Introduction to Criminology, Psychology 104: Social Psychology, Criminal Justice 107: Criminal Law, Criminal Justice 101: Intro to Criminal Justice, Criminal Justice 306: Research Methods in Criminal Justice, Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System from Study.com

If you don't already have Intro to Sociology, you'd need to take that either from SDC or from Sophia. This should give you 30 credits remaining, allowing you to finish the degree in 2 to 4 terms ($2800-$5600). UMPI requires a minimum of 30 credits and most of your UL credits to be taken from UMPI itself. Only one of those (CJ 305) is UL at UMPI, so you'd be good in that regard as well.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Daithi
(09-04-2021, 12:24 AM)Daithi Wrote: I'm looking for something in Criminal Justice. I'm too old (mid 50s) to become a cop or anything like that, but I'm looking to do something I'd enjoy for the last 15 years or so of my working career. Entry level criminal justice jobs actually appeal to me at this point. I'm looking for something like insurance investigation, probation, PI, who knows.

I'm ex-Army (30 years ago), in good shape, and I've worked as a software developer for 30 years (so not an idiot). I think I just need something on the resume that shows I have an interest in the field to be taken seriously.

I used to be a parole officer, and you don't need a criminal justice degree to do that or probation. Most of the people I worked with didn't have a criminal justice degree. Instead, they had degrees in things like psychology, counseling, sociology, and social work, but departments are often so desperate they'll hire people with unrelated degrees. One of the guys hired on with me had some IT-related degree. You're past the age cutoff for federal probation, but if you weren't, you would need experience and a graduate degree to be competitive. I wouldn't earn a second bachelor's degree just to be a PI, but that's just my personal opinion. 

I'd recommend these two options.

1. Complete the 18-credit certificate in criminal justice at TESU. You can transfer in 100% of the credits from ACE or NCCRS-approved sources and pay $1,250 for the residency waiver. 

2. If you don't mind completing another degree, you might as well complete a master's degree, which will make you more competitive. In my opinion, it would be kind of a waste of time to add an undergraduate social science degree on top of an undergraduate liberal arts degree. Walden has a competency-based MS in Criminal Justice. I, personally, wouldn't want Walden on my resume, but the Tempo programs are affordable, and government agencies don't care where your degrees were earned as long as the school was accredited. 

Public Management and Leadership | MS in Criminal Justice | Walden University
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Daithi, jch, SteveFoerster
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I think I'll start with Sanantone's advice, and get the TESU criminal justice certificate. I can always go further if I need to do so. Plus, I think I can be honest but a little creative when wording the listing of my degree (i.e. Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies w/ Criminal Justice Certification -- or something along those lines). If they're both from TESU this makes things a little easier.
Question for you, do you have any TECEPS under your belt or courses already taken at TESU? If you have reached 16 credits worth of TECEPS or courses at TESU, you'll have the residency waiver removed, if that is the case, I would go for an extra BA at TESU. Having said that, you can see what courses are required for the UMPI BACJ as they're competency based, if you just need 10 courses and have no commitments, you can probably finish the 10 in 1 term, or at most 2 terms.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There are some nuances with the residency requirement. The residency waiver fee applies unless you meet these criteria.

1. 50% of certificate is from TESU sources

2. Only online, e-Pack, and guided study courses count as residency credits for associate's and bachelor's degree students who are non-military. There's a 16-credit requirement. TECEPs and portfolios do not count.

3. Military students can use TECEPs and portfolio assessments in addition to the other options to meet the residency requirement, but they have a 24-credit residency requirement for bachelor's programs and a 12-credit residency requirement for associate's programs.

https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/faqs-cre...-residency
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Something to keep in mind with the cert: I've heard from credible sources at TESU that you need at least 50% of the cert to be UL courses; Study.com only has 1 UL CJ course, so you're going to have to find 2 more somewhere (AOJ-381 Victimology and Criminal Behavior & AOJ-310 Criminal Law). Not sure where you can find UL courses inexpensively, so I think this is going to cost a lot more than it should.

If that's the case, I think you're better off going to UMPI and getting the CJ degree there. It will be faster and cheaper than the Cert at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 413 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 414 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 769 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 837 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Any Final Things You Did Before You Graduated? LevelUP 7 1,008 03-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Graduated! dodek101 20 1,741 02-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: dodek101
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 924 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  Graduated tallpilot 8 1,585 01-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What else do I need for Liberal Studies w/ PSY Concentration? amberwalk 4 795 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8