Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help solve this mystery?
I'm currently taking the TESU Capstone (Guided Study) with Dr. Maugh and I'm starting week 8 of 12.

Since the beginning of the course at the end of August, she has been very helpful and very communicative: sending out a bi-weekly advice email for each assignment and returning assignments with very helpful feedback within 4-5 days of submission. I'm really enjoying the course.

But now there has been no communication for almost a month... since Sept 29th. She has not yet graded my assignment 3 from 2 1/2 weeks ago and 3 days ago I submitted assignment 4.  She has also not sent out the advice emails that she sent out for the first 3 assignments. And no reply on the mentor forum.

I'm not complaining or anything. I totally understand that people get busy and have life situations to deal with (I hope she is ok!!!!!!). It just feels like my mentor disappeared and I don't know what to do. I was hoping to get the feedback on the assignments along the way so I could make the necessary adjustments on subsequent assignments. I'm now working on assignment 5 without feedback on 3 or 4.

Do I just keep waiting? Anyone else here in this class? I'm reaching out here on the forum because don't know who to contact about this.
I don't think there's a mystery at all. Sometimes things come up and you're there to keep plugging away at the homework assignments and so on. Take your time and complete your required tasks in a timely manner and you should be good to go. If you really do need someone for follow up, you can always contact them (or department directly). Link: https://www.tesu.edu/about/Contact-Us.cfm
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I wish that made me feel better.
Unfortunately, this happened multiple times in my TESU courses. Luckily not in my capstone course, though. The mentor would get busy and ignore us for a week plus, forcing me to turn in 2 or 3 assignments without having anything graded.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Rate them in RateMyProfeesor so others will not get substandard treatment.

I rate all my professors and colleges.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(10-26-2017, 10:19 PM)davewill Wrote: Unfortunately, this happened multiple times in my TESU courses. Luckily not in my capstone course, though. The mentor would get busy and ignore us for a week plus, forcing me to turn in 2 or 3 assignments without having anything graded.

Thanks for letting me know... this is my first and only actual course. It's soooo good to know that it's not uncommon!!!

(10-26-2017, 10:30 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Rate them in RateMyProfeesor so others will not get substandard treatment.  

Well, I would actually rate her very high... she has given us lots of great info and excellent feedback. That's why I thought it was strange. But it sounds like this may just be the way that these online courses go and I didn't know that.
(10-27-2017, 12:00 AM)CollegeKid Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 10:19 PM)davewill Wrote: Unfortunately, this happened multiple times in my TESU courses. Luckily not in my capstone course, though. The mentor would get busy and ignore us for a week plus, forcing me to turn in 2 or 3 assignments without having anything graded.

Thanks for letting me know... this is my first and only actual course. It's soooo good to know that it's not uncommon!!!

(10-26-2017, 10:30 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Rate them in RateMyProfeesor so others will not get substandard treatment.  

Well, I would actually rate her very high... she has given us lots of great info and excellent feedback. That's why I thought it was strange. But it sounds like this may just be the way that these online courses go and I didn't know that.

One month of no contact and ungraded assignments is very poor!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(10-27-2017, 12:12 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 12:00 AM)CollegeKid Wrote:

One month of no contact and ungraded assignments is very poor!

unless she has cancer 
or her kid got really sick 
or her mother died 
or maybe she has relatives whose house got destroyed in the California fires 
or any of a hundred other things
(10-27-2017, 01:16 AM)bluebooger Wrote: unless she has cancer 
or her kid got really sick 
or her mother died 
or maybe she has relatives whose house got destroyed in the California fires 
or any of a hundred other things

I'm not trying to sound callous, but none of those are the OP's problem.  Even if there was some sort of extenuating circumstance, a bit of communication would have likely gone a long way.  Furthermore, the OP paid (in excess of $1,000 mind you) for a guided study course with professor/"mentor" interaction.  It would seem to me that there should be some sort of contingency plan in place for unforseen circumstances that would prohibit the professor/mentor from doing their job.

I do know that the liberal arts capstone (I don't know if that's what the OP is taking) is somewhat cumulative and assignment feedback is critical to the final product and ultimately the final grade.

To put it another way, if you paid someone over $1,000 upfront to work on your house and they didn't finish the job and went incommunicado for over a month, you'd probably be calling lawyers.  Of course you shouldn't pay someone 100% upfront but that's a different story.
I had a professors son die during an online class and she emailed me and was offline for 10 days. Does not get much worse than that. She communicated it and was honorable. The OPs case does not sound as professional. A month in the online college world is huge. Call the college to check on the professor to see if they are OK?