Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capes, Hoods and Rings
Ok,

So I took today off from skool.

I confess, even working in academia, there's a lot I just don't know about the culture and custom. I noticed the robes had accoutrements, but never felt led to ask anyone what that stuff meant.

So, now I've learned the curtain-looking stuff hanging off the back is called a hood, and the colors are very significant. Then, there are cords and pendants and charms and stuff...

I'm never going to walk. Thinking about it though, I think I might like a photograph of me in the regalia. (Pretty sure my Mom would like it, probably the wife, too).

Guess I'm a little embarrassed by my shallowness, but, did any of you onliners buy the trinkets? (Are any of you planning to?) Like a ring. The TESU vendor rings are several hundred dollars!! I'd like one for formal wear, not for daily wear, but wow.

I've been rationalizing it by saying, if I was graduating from a brick and mortar school, would I feel differently?

How do y'all feel about it?
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I was just looking at those rings a few weeks ago. I am back and forth on getting a ring. Part of me says "well it's just doing online stuff and doing a bsba at TESU, who cares".....and part of me thinks "well hell, it's a legitimate degree from a legitimate university, I'm going to get a ring, I earned it".

Not sure if I will or won't yet. I also figure since I won't be going up there for the commencement, I should treat myself to a ring...and a hoodie lol.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

LOL, when I first read the title, I was thinking - Robin Hood! We're gonna see another superhero right here in the forum! Until of course, when I read the body... everything changed. Anyways, if you want to keep those as a safe keep or for memory, sure, you can splurge on what you would like to have as a souvenir.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you just want a photo, some photography studios will have a gown and cap that can be used for the shoot.

I keep meaning to buy a hoodie and car magnet, but never get around to it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-21-2017, 12:39 PM)davewill Wrote: If you just want a photo, some photography studios will have a gown and cap that can be used for the shoot.

I keep meaning to buy a hoodie and car magnet, but never get around to it.

I'm really decent at photoshop, I could make it... lol

I also think I'll buy the wife a sweatshirt, maybe something for the Mom as well. (shrugs)

iCampy - that's *exactly* my thought process. I started down this journey simply to check boxes and be able to win arguments. I didn't know what I was getting into, and it became a thing larger than me. Kinda feel like I should, even though people roll their eyes at online schools, commemorate the occasion. I need to see if I can get a forum logo on the stone, I'd almost rather talk about this place than the actual college sometimes!!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 3 users Like High_Order1's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, icampy
Do you have a GPA that lets you join honor societies?  Each one also adds tons of stuff to wear. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Bibby
(12-21-2017, 11:58 AM)High_Order1 Wrote: Ok,

So I took today off from skool.

I confess, even working in academia, there's a lot I just don't know about the culture and custom. I noticed the robes had accoutrements, but never felt led to ask anyone what that stuff meant.

So, now I've learned the curtain-looking stuff hanging off the back is called a hood, and the colors are very significant. Then, there are cords and pendants and charms and stuff...

I'm never going to walk. Thinking about it though, I think I might like a photograph of me in the regalia. (Pretty sure my Mom would like it, probably the wife, too).

Guess I'm a little embarrassed by my shallowness, but, did any of you onliners buy the trinkets? (Are any of you planning to?) Like a ring. The TESU vendor rings are several hundred dollars!! I'd like one for formal wear, not for daily wear, but wow.

I've been rationalizing it by saying, if I was graduating from a brick and mortar school, would I feel differently?

How do y'all feel about it?

I didn't do anything when I graduated from TESU, but I earned a couple trinkets when I completed my master's. My college gives honor cords based on class rank, and I was inducted into the honor society which gave me a pin to wear at graduation. There aren't many opportunities in your life when anyone will care about those kinds of things - graduation day is just about "the" only day lol, so I did go, wore it all and took a photo. It's in my profile here (click on my profile name).

EDIT: maybe it's not here anymore...ever since we changed the platform I can't find anything. Anyway, it might be here lol, but I can't find it.
I bought a tassle from a cheap third party website that was roughly in TESU's burgundy and being colors (even though TESU's actual tassles are only black).

It was a silly gesture but I'm proud of the degree and wanted a little reminder.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-21-2017, 11:02 PM)jsd Wrote: I bought a tassle from a cheap third party website that was roughly in TESU's burgundy and being colors (even though TESU's actual tassles are only black).

It was a silly gesture but I'm proud of the degree and wanted a little reminder.

Cool. I'm frugal, I might do the exact same thing or something similar to that...
I need a little reminder for myself as well and don't want to splurge... time to look!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This site has some pretty inexpensive honor cords and tassels and caps and gowns. https://www.homeschooldiploma.com/
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Class Rings? rowan555 15 4,057 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Big 3 Class Rings CLEP101 10 4,046 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  College Rings rebel100 6 1,743 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Johann