Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Choice
Guys, I'm kinda in a bit of a dilemma. This thread involves long passages about me and my career path, so I just wanted to forewarn anyone who is not interested so they don't waste their time reading.

Okay, here's the situation. I have been in the IT industry for close to 10 years. I have done everything from programming to testing/QA to project management, with the longest stint being project management. When I got out of the Marine Corps, I was working as a heavy equipment mechanic, and studying in the evenings teaching myself how to write code. I eventually learned how to program, and my brother (who is also an IT guy) and I started our own software development company. We were EXTREMELY successful from about 1999 until the end of about 2004. We built custom software for the nuclear power industry, and were very good at it. Over the course of this time we grew, had about 5 guys on board with us, and were making tons of money. Well, to make a long story short, the nuclear industry had major cut-backs, and we started losing business fast. It got bad enough that we decided to make the company a side business and all go do other ventures.

I was immediately hired as an IT Project Manager for a very large financial institution (which does 100% tuition reimbursement by the way). I stayed there for about a year and a half, and was moderately happy. The money wasn't what I was used to, but it was better than nothing. I felt like there was some opportunity there, but not for a substantial amount of time.

About this time, a friend of mine approached me about coming to work for him in sales (I've always had a natural nack for sales). He had an Account Rep. leave, and was VERY interested in getting me to come to work for him. My main concern was that this was a totally different and unrelated industry that I knew nothing about, and frankly didn't have a lot of interest in. BUT the salary and overall package was really tempting.

Needless to say, I accepted the position despite a pretty good counter-offer from my current employer. I have been here for about 2 months. I am now beginning to second guess my decision. I really do enjoy IT and am thoroughly interested in the IT industry. In my current position, not only did I not know anything, but alot of the "promises" seem to have been forgotten, or have fallen by the wayside. About the only thing that has kept me around this far is the money (which is pretty darn good). There are several things (that I won't go into) that are making me wonder if this was really the right decision. Please understand, I am extremely analytical and typically do not make uninformed decisions. I felt like I gave this decision due dilligence before accepting the offer. But sometimes a picture is painted one way, and when you step into that picture, it looks a whole lot different.

I just recently heard of a couple of openings back in IT Project Management, and one of them could be a higher position at my old company. I really hate this feeling of instability and uncertainty, but I don't see myself where I'm at long term.

I went back to school to finish my MIS degree, and have about a year and half left. From there, I plan to sit for the PMP (Project Management Professional) Exam (this is the most highly recognized credential in my field), and maybe eventuall get my MS in Technology Systems. As you can see, even though I am working in an unrelated field, my heart is still in IT.

My question is, given the Cliff Notes version of the situation I have provided, what do you guys think you would do in my shoes?

A. Stay where I am, even though I have little interest and the things that were "promised" have not come through.

OR

B. Start entertaining other options, and if something as lucrative as where I am now pans out, jump on it.

I don't want to drag this out too long either. I have only been here a little less than 2 months. If I were to leave now it would be a whole lot better than a year from now. Rememer, I know my boss on a personal level, and if I decide to leave, I want it to be as painless as possible.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for listening...
Hi B2,

I have moved this thread to the Off Topic forum. I hope you don't mind.

The most important thing to consider is this: Are you happy?

If your answer is no, then you should begin to look for a position that you can feel comfortable in, that makes you happy, and that makes you feel fulfilled.

If your boss (who is a personal friend) is worth his oats, he will understand that you need to find a job that is a better 'fit' for you.

I can't think of any reason to stay in a job that makes you feel unhappy or discontent. Even if the money is great, you will still be unhappy in the long run. More money might make staying in the job worthwhile, but in the end, the underlying reasons why you feel unhappy will remain. You will need to deal with your lack of excitement and contentment with the job at some point. So I think it is better to make a decision sooner rather than later. Staying in a job you don't like will only make you become more and more bitter and resentful the longer you stay in it.

Of course, you could stay in the current job. But if your heart isn't really in it, your performance will eventually become mediocre, and when all is said and done, you will very likely leave ANYWAY. It is a lose-lose situation for both you and your employer.

Alternatively, you could find a job that you can be passionate about, that really fulfills you, and that makes you happy. In such a position, you will very likely EXCEL because the job excites your heart, rather than just your wallet. In time, your passion for the job will bring you promotions, pay raises, and bonuses, etc. This would be a win-win situation for both you and your employer.

You are going to have to make the decision yourself, and it may or may not be an easy one for you to make. But you should make the decision that is best for you. Don't be afraid of offending your boss. His company will actually be more successful when he finds someone who is a perfect fit for the position, and who loves the job.

Similarly, don't be afraid to take a temporary drop in pay. There is so much more to life than money and, as I said earlier, if you are in the perfect job for you, you will quickly rise up the ranks and become more successful than you are now.

I hope that helps.

You have some serious decisions to make, and I wish you every success in your future,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the feedback. I saw that you moved the thread, and it's no problem. I figured it probably belonged here anyway.

Thanks again....
[COLOR="Red"]A. Stay where I am, even though I have little interest and the things that were "promised" have not come through.

OR

B. Start entertaining other options, and if something as lucrative as where I am now pans out, jump on it.
[/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"]I'm sure that you already have done this, but which choice - A or B would be BEST for your FAMILY?? [/SIZE][/B]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
B.

Sounds like that's the choice you want already, that's where your heart is, and the pay/benefits seem similar or better. Statistically, EVERYONE switches jobs these days and the IT field is one of the most highly fluid. Also, if you stay out of tech, you'll find it almost impossible to stay up to date (professional knowledge-wise)...and may find it hard to get back into the field you love a few years down the road. So if I was you, I'd go where you get the most enjoyment, especially since it doesn't seem to be in contradiction with your money/family life.
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
My two cents worth...

Money is a tool, but the one thing it doesn't buy is happiness. It seems as though you really miss the IT world and the job satisfaction you received from being a part of it. At the end of your career, when you take a retrospective look at your life, which do you foresee being the most proud/satisfied of/with? The money and benefits will work themselves out, but your internal happiness has to be genuine. Your friends, and most importantly; your family, will see through any attempts you might try to put on a good front.

I think you've already answered your own question; but it's always good to get an objective opinion. It took guts to write it all out and I hope you make the best decision for you. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Urbannaja Wrote:Also, if you stay out of tech, you'll find it almost impossible to stay up to date (professional knowledge-wise)...and may find it hard to get back into the field you love a few years down the road.
This was my biggest concern. If I decide to make a go of where I am at, and it doesn't work out 2 years from now, that's as good as 10 years in the IT industry. However, I am finishing my MIS degree, so over the course of the next year and a half I will have to keep abreast of the ever evolving IT world.

Basket Weaver,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I think I know what the best option is, I just have to execute it.
UPDATE -

Ok...here's an update for anyone that cares to read further. I took several people's advice, and began searching for a position back in the IT field. As of this morning, I accepted a postion with another large financial institution as a Project Manager II. This is basically two levels above where I was. The position description fit my experience and background perfectly. Plus, the salary and benefits package is substantially better than where I am currently.

I am extremely excited about getting back into IT. It was a tough decision, but one I'm glad I made.

Just wanted to provide a quick update...thanks again for all of your input!!!
B2MANLEY Wrote:UPDATE -

Ok...here's an update for anyone that cares to read further. I took several people's advice, and began searching for a position back in the IT field. As of this morning, I accepted a postion with another large financial institution as a Project Manager II. This is basically two levels above where I was. The position description fit my experience and background perfectly. Plus, the salary and benefits package is substantially better than where I am currently.

I am extremely excited about getting back into IT. It was a tough decision, but one I'm glad I made.

[SIZE="3"]You sound happy, content, and better off financially - Congrats!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
B2MANLEY Wrote:UPDATE -

Nice! And congrats on the pay raise!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 23 1,678 Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,145 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 703 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 785 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 947 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,692 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Do-over - what career would you pick? bethanyneedsajob 29 5,228 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  ScholarMatch: Become a Volunteer College/Career Coach! PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 9 1,695 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 2,032 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  For those of you who have completely switched career fields... Nodaclu 25 4,010 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Nodaclu