Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career changes in a lifetime
I'm skeptical of this article's statement based on other things I've read:

Quote:Considering that research has found that the average worker will change careers – not jobs but careers – five to seven times in their lifetime, career planning is an activity you should do at least once a year.

From https://www.livecareer.com/career/advice...nning-tips

But many people decided to switch careers around 2006-2009, and it seems like some of them are switching again. I think that tech and the need for healthcare services will cause more and more to switch.

I think schools will see more demand for allowing a third bachelor's, especially in tech fields.

(02-17-2019, 06:26 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm skeptical of this article's statement based on other things I've read:

Quote:Considering that research has found that the average worker will change careers – not jobs but careers – five to seven times in their lifetime, career planning is an activity you should do at least once a year.

But many people decided to switch careers around 2006-2009, and it seems like some of them are switching again. I think that tech and the need for healthcare services will cause more and more to switch.

I think schools will see more demand for allowing a third bachelor's, especially in tech fields.

I think people on here are probably worse than the average person in terms of thinking that a change in careers (or a new career whether you're changing or not) means that a degree is needed to do so.  I don't think this is the case at all.  You probably aren't going to need a 3rd bachelor's degree to change most careers - you just need to find the right place to give you a chance, and many times this happens.  It's easier for a company to see a person that's been successful at a previous job/career, and decide that they have the skills (even if not the degree) to be successful at their company.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  Almost no one needs a 3rd (or even 2nd) bachelor's degree for a career change.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, quigongene
(02-18-2019, 01:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 06:26 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm skeptical of this article's statement based on other things I've read:

I think people on here are probably worse than the average person in terms of thinking that a change in careers (or a new career whether you're changing or not) means that a degree is needed to do so.  I don't think this is the case at all.  You probably aren't going to need a 3rd bachelor's degree to change most careers - you just need to find the right place to give you a chance, and many times this happens.  It's easier for a company to see a person that's been successful at a previous job/career, and decide that they have the skills (even if not the degree) to be successful at their company.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  Almost no one needs a 3rd (or even 2nd) bachelor's degree for a career change.

I agree with this.

Heck, IMO if a person has the will and dedication, even the 1st bachelor's degree is unnecessary for a career or career change. I've managed to be fairly successful in my own career and have changed my career focus twice without a piece of paper giving me permission. My motto is "always be learning and growing"... this will take you far. Career success is more about what you know, how you apply it, and who you impress with it.

Granted, without a degree it is hard to get your foot in the door in a new field unless you have some way to bridge your existing experience, but it can be done. Volunteer work is one option, for example, but that is tough for someone who has a family and bills to pay. But at the same time, spending thousands (or tens of thousands) on a new degree won't necessarily open any doors either.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I would argue that a 3rd bachelors could even be detrimental, as it makes you look like a career student. Like Merlin, I've been successful in my career on mostly experience (and some certs).
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • allvia, AwardTour
I can't imagine that anyone who has even a decent job is changing careers that frequently. It's taken me years to work my way up in the field, and it seems like even "entry-level" people are expected to have experience.

A degree is important, but I agree with Quigongene that a 3rd bachelor's wouldn't help. BUT I am in international business, so I would rather see some experience PLUS another language, or even a year off spent living in another country. Heck, I would even take someone learning another language who does some volunteer work using their new language and learning the culture. (Even if they don't leave the country!)

That being said, it seems like everyone wants to see a resume where most of the jobs listed at least partly relate to each other, and of course relate to the field where you're applying.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • quigongene
Most people don't have a second bachelor's degree because most people don't even have a first bachelor's degree. So, the demand for third bachelor's degrees will be low. Graduate school is increasingly becoming the option for making a career change, and that's where a disproportionate amount of the student loan debt comes from. 

However, there is a difference between a career change and a drastic career change. And, the amount of additional education you'll need depends on the occupation you're trying to enter. If you want to become a nurse, then you're going to need another degree. Almost everything in the healthcare and STEM (other than IT) fields will require another degree. One can't expect to become a medical physicist with an English degree. Just not going to happen. Want to become a psychotherapist with your marketing degree? That's not going to happen either.

This doesn't just apply to STEM and healthcare. I could spend 10 years in my current position, and I wouldn't meet the entry-level auditor requirements within my own agency because I don't have enough accounting credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas

I've had the privilege of pursuing 4 very different careers in my life so far, so I can see someone younger than me having 5. 7 feels like a lot, but I guess it depends on how hard you have to pivot to really be considered a career changer.
I have to admit to not really knowing the distinction between job change and career change. At the bottom of the ladder there doesn't really seem to be much difference.
My jobs/careers? have included
Commissioned jewelry sales
Animal shelter kennel worker
Animal shelter veterinary assistant
Overnight retail stocker
Overnight grocery manager
Retail department manager
Commissioned furniture sales
Factory work- installing hubs in grinding wheels
Warehouse stocker
Tech support for Apple
Inventory clerk- supervisory level
Warehouse clerk - (driving forklift and cherry picker)
Library Assistant - teen programming and item processing

I'm not sure how someone would divide that up into jobs or careers.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(02-18-2019, 09:50 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I have to admit to not really knowing the distinction between job change and career change. At the bottom of the ladder there doesn't really seem to be much difference.
My jobs/careers? have included
Commissioned jewelry sales
Animal shelter kennel worker
Animal shelter veterinary assistant
Overnight retail stocker
Overnight grocery manager
Retail department manager
Commissioned furniture sales
Factory work- installing hubs in grinding wheels
Warehouse stocker
Tech support for Apple
Inventory clerk- supervisory level
Warehouse clerk - (driving forklift and cherry picker)
Library Assistant - teen programming and item processing

I'm not sure how someone would divide that up into jobs or careers.

I'm also going to say that most (all) of these don't require a degree - so there's no need to get a 2nd/3rd degree for them.

But I agree, if I look at my jobs back when I was in my teens/early 20's, they were random.  Then, when I started working in accounting, and found my niche, it kind of led to other things.  I went from Accounting Analyst to Payroll/Stock Plan Administrator to Stock Plan/401(k) Plan Administrator to Compensation Analyst/Consultant to Compensation Manager.  Were those all career changes?  Not really - they were each promotions, sometimes within a company, sometimes leaving, always a step up from what I'd been doing prior, and always were dependent upon the previous position's skills/knowledge.

Now degree planner/transcript evaluator is a complete change.  So I'm going to say I've changed careers twice - but I'll be if you put me in this study, I've changed a dozen times or more.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,069 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  Rosetta Stone & StackSkills Lifetime Subscription $119.20 bjcheung77 1 738 12-04-2022, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 768 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  PLEX Lifetime Pass - $90 SlickDeals bjcheung77 0 661 11-24-2021, 09:09 PM
  Rytr AI Writing Tool: Lifetime Subscription akr680 5 1,554 09-05-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  KeepSolid VPN Unlimited Lifetime 5 Devices - USD $13.25 bjcheung77 0 650 07-13-2021, 05:13 PM
  HUSH - Phone Number - Lifetime Deal $25 USD bjcheung77 11 3,535 06-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Flelm