Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work
I am in a bit of a career conundrum. 

I currently work for a nonprofit organization making as a project manager. Job is remote, very secure, but mind-numbing, with lots of red tape and no path for growth.

I have been planning on making a cross country move, and with this job I can work anywhere. My lease ends next Summer.

I am in the final round for a contractor position at a FAANG where I would be on contract for 6 months (very unlikely to be turned into a full time position at said FAANG based on my research.) For this role I'd have to stay in the city I currently live (job is hybrid not remote.) The pay bump would be significant, almost double, however expensive benefits, no pto. At the nonprofit I have a lot of PTO and great benefits.

I am considering the contract position because of the short term money and being able to say I worked for a FAANG (with the clear statement that I was a contractor, following all the rules of that.) Hoping that that would help me be a more attractive candidate for future roles in non FAANG companies

However the 6 month contract and lack of security plus having to stay where I currently live and not move are making me second guess. I have had pretty bad luck finding another remote job better than my current one, which was the catalyst for me to pursue my Masters at WGU which I am currently doing.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
I would only take the the contract if you see it as an opportunity and are excited by it. If it's just for a short-term monetary gain, then I think you will be stressed out and unhappy at the end.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Based on the info you’ve provided. I would stay where I was at. Not sure giving up a permanent position for a short term contract even though it’s FAANG would look good on resume anyway. Especially if you’ve been with the current organization for awhile. I want employees who are going to be committed and not chasing unicorns. Now if it was permanent that would be a different story. I would then have to weigh in and study the pros and cons of each, but not for a temp job. Fwiw imo
[-] The following 2 users Like Pats20's post:
  • indigoshuffle, ss20ts
(10-08-2022, 11:40 AM)davewill Wrote: I would only take the the contract if you see it as an opportunity and are excited by it. If it's just for a short-term monetary gain, then I think you will be stressed out and unhappy at the end.

I am creating a spreadsheet to see exactly what the bottom line for the financial difference would be. The six month end really is stressful to think about, I am more leaning on not taking it.l

(10-08-2022, 11:47 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Based on the info you’ve provided. I would stay where I was at. Not sure giving up a permanent position for a short term contract even though it’s FAANG would look good on resume anyway. Especially if you’ve been with the current organization for awhile. I want employees who are going to be committed and not chasing unicorns. Now if it was permanent that would be a different story. I would then have to weigh in and study the pros and cons of each, but not for a temp job. Fwiw imo

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it.

I created a spreadsheet to weigh all the pros and cons and finances. I am starting to think I should just stay where I am.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
not having PTO for 6 months is not that big of a deal (unless it means working on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years)

> . Not sure giving up a permanent position for a short term contract even though it’s FAANG would look good on resume anyway.

totally disagree
nobody cares if you left one position and took another for an increase in pay and responsibility

OP says current position is "mind-numbing, with lots of red tape and no path for growth."

so leaving for more responsibility, a need to be challenged, a path for growth and wanting to be used for their fullest potential would be seen as a plus
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • mohelena02
(10-08-2022, 12:15 PM)bluebooger Wrote: not having PTO for 6 months is not that big of a deal (unless it means working on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years)

> . Not sure giving up a permanent position for a short term contract even though it’s FAANG would look good on resume anyway.

totally disagree            
nobody cares if you left one position and took another for an increase in pay and responsibility          

OP says current position is "mind-numbing, with lots of red tape and no path for growth."

so leaving for more responsibility, a need to be challenged, a path for growth and wanting to be used for their fullest potential would be seen as a plus

Thank you for your input!! 

My bet on the FAANG job would be that it would help me fully get a better role afterwards with another company. Right now I feel like I am a bit stuck where I am but with FAANG PM experience I might be able to get a better situation going.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
And for those who didn't know what are/is referred to as the FAANG, it's the Big Tech companies we talk about, the Big 5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Tech
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I agree leaving one company for another for more responsibility and money and general dissatisfaction with current job obviously more than likely isn’t going to have a negative effect with interviewers. What I was specifically speaking of is temp jobs. Quitting a permanent job with excellent benefits that you’ve been with for awhile for a temp job because it pays more for the short term. (btw: most temp jobs pay more That’s how they attract help). Also op said benefits are more expensive. And the likelihood that it wouldn’t become permanent
Is where I formed my opinion. Like I said. It’s just my opinion. I would look for a permanent job as a replacement and stay where I was until I found one. IMO.
I personally wouldn't leave a regular gig for something, even something that pays more, unless it was very exciting. Instead, I'd just start actively looking for another FT gig somewhere. You have a lot of time to do this, and are getting your master's, so I don't think I'd rock the boat right now.

Finish your master's degree, which will probably open up some more doors
Move to the city you want next summer
THEN, start looking for a job once you've gotten settled in there

With this job, worst case is you're bored and can look for satisfaction outside of work; plenty of people have done this through the ages, most people chose jobs that provided security and a roof over their heads, and looked for meaning and joy in their "real" lives. Not saying that you stay at a job you hate forever, just that you choose some other priorities now, focus on those, get to where you want to be, and worry about finding a more meaningful/challenging/better job later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, carrythenothing, ss20ts
(10-08-2022, 08:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally wouldn't leave a regular gig for something, even something that pays more, unless it was very exciting.  Instead, I'd just start actively looking for another FT gig somewhere.  You have a lot of time to do this, and are getting your master's, so I don't think I'd rock the boat right now.

Finish your master's degree, which will probably open up some more doors
Move to the city you want next summer
THEN, start looking for a job once you've gotten settled in there

With this job, worst case is you're bored and can look for satisfaction outside of work; plenty of people have done this through the ages, most people chose jobs that provided security and a roof over their heads, and looked for meaning and joy in their "real" lives.  Not saying that you stay at a job you hate forever, just that you choose some other priorities now, focus on those, get to where you want to be, and worry about finding a more meaningful/challenging/better job later.

Thank you for the advice, I spent a lot of the day weighing the pros and cons and am leaning to do everything you have suggested here. The Masters program actually is a good 'distraction' from work. I have no problem staying at work even though it is painfully mind numbing, the security is more important. What kept spiking my interest was the higher salary and the opportunity for a career upgrade, but I can't really risk my immediate security for that.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 440 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,102 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 507 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Move some threads to another area dfrecore 8 930 04-26-2022, 07:54 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Dua Lipa Sued for Ripping Large Parts of a Song Used to Make the Song ‘Levitating' LevelUP 2 892 03-06-2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 768 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher