Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security?
(08-05-2023, 05:38 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 02:23 PM)Oneautumn7 Wrote: Hey davewill,

Thank you for that information, did not know that. I discussed it before with my counselor but I just set up anther appointment with her on Tuesday to make sure I understood her correctly and that everything is okay. With that being said do you have any opinion between the two majors (BSBAM or BSCS)? Thank you again.

I'm a little confused, I thought the BSCS was already in progress and you were deciding between management and CyberSec.

Anyway, it all comes down to what you would enjoy doing the most. If you want to be a software engineer, do the BSCS and start working as a developer as soon as possible. If you want to manage development teams, getting there from a BSBAM might prove difficult. However, If you have aptitude for managment, then it's usually not hard to make that transition after a few years as a developer. The managers who have actual hands-on experience are always the best to work for.

The same goes for CyberSec, do it if and only if it represents what you want to be doing as your main job after you finish the degree. If you just want to have a little CyberSec on your resume, get a cert or microdegree or some such to stack on top of the BSCS. If after doing the cert, you decide it's the greatest thing, I think doing a CyberSec master's after a BSCS makes more sense than any other combo.

Sorry about that I got the Acronyms incorrect. Yes, I'm currently taking BSCS; what I meant was BS in Cyber Security. Thank you for the opinion. Biggest hesitant was as you said I could just do masters in Cyber Security, was think if I do Cyber security, doing two bachelor which were similar seemed redundant.
There are so many ways to get to your goal, again, as I mentioned before, you should continue your current Bachelors/Masters combo and if you have the energy, money, time to spend on another educational journey, you can work on the trifecta, certs, degree, experience. Example, WGU BSIT/MSITM - You have certs for the BSIT and it has several, even at the Masters level, you'll be gaining experience in IT Management as well. Again, An alternative, UMPI PM & IS, then MBA... This is to allow you to get into Project Management with an Info Systems concentration, you can ladder into the MBA afterwards. Other options exist, you need to find your end goal and see if these goals match what you need/want in the future.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-06-2023, 12:13 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are so many ways to get to your goal, again, as I mentioned before, you should continue your current Bachelors/Masters combo and if you have the energy, money, time to spend on another educational journey, you can work on the trifecta, certs, degree, experience.  Example, WGU BSIT/MSITM - You have certs for the BSIT and it has several, even at the Masters level, you'll be gaining experience in IT Management as well.  Again, An alternative, UMPI PM & IS, then MBA... This is to allow you to get into Project Management with an Info Systems concentration, you can ladder into the MBA afterwards.  Other options exist, you need to find your end goal and see if these goals match what you need/want in the future.

How long do you think it would take to complete the WGU BSIT/MSITM, realistically? Just trying gauge timeline. Also, is UMPI structured the same way as WGU?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 363 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Business of IT - Project Management oram3189 6 589 02-18-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 398 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 790 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,245 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 1,008 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Has anyone done the BS in Supply Chains and Operations Management? jsh1138 0 581 09-29-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Project Management ss20ts 4 860 05-22-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU Business Management - Any Grads? HBCIRCA14 7 1,261 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,228 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle