Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers after TESU Degree
Here's the deal, IMNSHO. A TESU BACS isn't going to impart a lot of skills. The coursework isn't as rigorous, and it's all self-taught. An in-person program at a 4 year school would include labs and internship opportunities that would help you become skilled. A TESU BACS is mostly going to benefit people who either have significant experience, but need a degree to check the box, or who are very self directed and motivated and will develop the skills needed to land a job on their own.

It's similar with BSBA CIS. The coursework alone probably won't be enough to land a good IT job. You'll need a lot of self-study and some certifications in all likelyhood.

That said, there are tons of people out there who have bootstrapped themselves by working for small outfits that were willing to take a chance on them, and climbing the learning curve on their own. Some even without degrees. But if you think that the degree will open doors all by itself, probably not.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • aussiegbrl
I'll second the checkbox nature of the degree but also say that you can absolutely fill in the gaps. There is a ton to learn through industry certs and the like, and not knowing exactly what you want to do with the degree, it is flexible. You can become a developer, move into data science, do tech support, get into cybersecurity. I've seen people with CS degrees do all of these things.

For my own story, I have been pursuing data science and needed a checkbox degree. I've picked up data science skills through other academic study, certs, and on the job work. But after I was almost finished my CS coursework, another opportunity presented itself, and I started working on the "business side" of software development, and ended up getting promoted to a program manager position right after my degree was conferred. It worked out well for me that I didn't over-specialize in data science, as the general CS degree will serve me well for this role and now I'm looking at Engineering Management for my masters. I had every intention of specializing and I'd still very much like to end up closer to working in data one day. But life is unpredictable, so I recommend taking a flexible path and committing only when a clear career path presents itself.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • aussiegbrl
(07-02-2023, 07:14 PM)spohara Wrote: I'll second the checkbox nature of the degree but also say that you can absolutely fill in the gaps.  There is a ton to learn through industry certs and the like, and not knowing exactly what you want to do with the degree, it is flexible.  You can become a developer, move into data science, do tech support, get into cybersecurity.  I've seen people with CS degrees do all of these things.  

For my own story, I have been pursuing data science and needed a checkbox degree.  I've picked up data science skills through other academic study, certs, and on the job work.  But after I was almost finished my CS coursework, another opportunity presented itself, and I started working on the "business side" of software development, and ended up getting promoted to a program manager position right after my degree was conferred. It worked out well for me that I didn't over-specialize in data science, as the general CS degree will serve me well for this role and now I'm looking at Engineering Management for my masters.  I had every intention of specializing and I'd still very much like to end up closer to working in data one day.  But life is unpredictable, so I recommend taking a flexible path and committing only when a clear career path presents itself.

thanks for providing your own personal experience!
One good option for filling in the gaps is to follow this plan while working on your degree: https://github.com/ossu/computer-science

Whichever school you choose, you're going to have gaps to fill in.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@aussiegbrl, when you work on the trifecta (certs, degree, experience), you'll get your rhythm and understand what subjects/topics or sub fields you'll be interested in. Take the time to get some Coursera/TADA certs and see if these courses interest you, from Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, Project Management, UX Design, etc.

Basically, I recommend grouping the certs in a specific order to ladder the knowledge from one to the other, such as this...
Essentially, when you get the certs, you're adding 'some experience' to hit the trifecta I mentioned earlier: certs, degree, experience.

1. Cybersecurity/IT related - Start with Coursera/TADA, IT Support Pro Cert, ladder that up to IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Pro Cert.
- You can do some freebies such as the TEEX Cybersecurity courses along with this or as prep for this track.

2. Coding/Development - Start with Coursera/TADA, UX Design Cert, ladder that up to IBM Full Stack Software Developer Pro Cert.
- You can take the Meta Front-End and Back-End developer certs (I think these are also free from TADA) for the Coding part.

3. Project Management - Start with Coursera/TADA, META Social Media Marketing, ladder up to Google Project Management Pro.
- Take Sophia.org Project Management and their other business/communication counterpart courses to get an idea of Business/Management.

4. Data Analytics - Again, Start with Coursera/TADA, Google Data Analytics and ladder up to all the IBM Data options combined...
Consider again taking as many cheapie/freebie options along with the Google offering, plus the various IBM Data Analytics/Science options.

TLDR: You can take one or more routes, decide what your passion lies, then you can see if taking a degree (another Bachelors or a Masters) would do.
There are several Masters of Applied Computer Science or Data Science, etc offerings that do not require a prior Bachelors for entry all around 10-15K.

Coursera/TADA offerings Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera
TEEX & other Free Sources of Credit: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • aussiegbrl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 93 Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,254 04-26-2024, 09:25 AM
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 764 04-26-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 236 04-25-2024, 10:16 AM
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 271 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,621 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 643 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 575 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 288 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,344 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy