Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap general science courses? Preferably online.
I'm looking into the possibility of getting an alternate pathway teachers license in Florida for the Grades 5-9 general science subject area. My degree is not related to education at all. I studied computer science but that subject area doesn't seem to be worth attempting to get a temp teachers license for as there are very few vacancies.

https://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certifica...-0321.stml
According to the FLDOE:
2) Plan Two. A bachelor's or higher degree with eighteen (18) semester hours in science with associated laboratory experiences to include credit in the areas specified below:

(a) Biological science,

(b) Chemistry or physics and,

© Earth-space science or earth science.

Now, what the website doesn't seem to make clear is where these credits need to come from in terms of accreditation. I also noticed they accept foreign degrees and transcripts if the transcripts have been evaluated and match up with US standards. So I would hope that they're somewhat loose on the accreditation requirements.

I currently have the following that might fall into biological science:

4 credits in Microbiology
8 Credits in Anatomy & Physiology

I took these classes because I'm also looking to go into nursing but it's a toss up as to when I'd get into a program and so I'm just trying to build up alternative pathways for myself to stable work.

I do not know if A&P would count as 'biological sciences' as per the description above because FLDOE has a special subject area for 'health sciences' which requires 30 credits. Some colleges list A&P as health science specific classes, while others list them under biology.

So at best, I'd need a couple physics/earth science classes I believe. At worst I'd need 3-4 classes. I noticed the 'TEL' mention in another thread and they have a Physical Sciences + Lab available. I'm looking to see what kind of inexpensive / low cost options are available because my local CC requires $200 'online access' books for each class involving physics or chemistry so I'd probably be paying around $600-800 a class with the local CC.

I tried emailing FLDOE about accreditation and if they could provide more clarification as for the biological science description but that was a number of weeks ago and they've been silent.
TEL is the cheapest bet for RA sciences on a transcript. You need to pay for some materials, but it's probably less than $100 worth, depending on the science.

ASU Universal Learner has a bunch of online sciences, no lab materials needed. $25 to attempt the class, then $400 per class to transcript if if you like the grade. If you don't pay the $400, nothing goes on the transcript.

If they accept ACE or NCCRS, there is always Sophia, Study.com, or Coopersmith. Wouldn't recommend Straighterline, though, because the physical lab kit is kind of expensive and can take a while to ship.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Yeah, I'm curious if they accept Sophia because I already have the environmental science course finished on there. Wonder if there's a more direct way to ask them these things other than their 'contact us form.'
(11-28-2022, 04:02 PM)Drakemoore Wrote: Yeah, I'm curious if they accept Sophia because I already have the environmental science course finished on there. Wonder if there's a more direct way to ask them these things other than their 'contact us form.'

As someone who is going to be teaching I would actually go with Straighter Line. There is nothing like doing an actual physical lab. So very important for your personal learning and your understanding. I'm not a fan of these virtual labs. I find them to be ridiculous and laughable. Virtual labs kind of defeats the purpose.
That being said, if you're doing a business degree, then fine... do a virtual "lab".
So of RA sources, Tel learning is the cheapest at $200 per 3 credit and another $67 for the lab. They have biology, chemistry and physical science. So you'd still need Earth/Space science and ASU has that, self paced, start anytime, for $425. ASU also has several other good options, if you wanted all from 1 source, like astronomy, bio, environmental science, chem, and physics(no lab).

Do you have any other lab science credits besides the (possibly) bio ones you mentioned?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
not the cheapest, but check out New Mexico CCs like Clovis. They have pretty big range of science courses - even A&P I and II w/ Lab online

was checking it out last time to fulfill science pre-req for health related programs.
(12-23-2022, 01:51 AM)nyvrem Wrote: not the cheapest, but check out New Mexico CCs like Clovis. They have pretty big range of science courses - even A&P I and II w/ Lab online

was checking it out last time to fulfill science pre-req for health related programs.
Are they open for internet students?
(12-25-2022, 12:07 PM)Cofffeee Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 01:51 AM)nyvrem Wrote: not the cheapest, but check out New Mexico CCs like Clovis. They have pretty big range of science courses - even A&P I and II w/ Lab online

Are they open for internet students?

They are open online (internet) and to international students as well. Don't confuse the Clovis CC NM with the one in CA.  Here is the link for the NM CC - https://www.clovis.edu/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thank u for update

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 255 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,517 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,141 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 205 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,542 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,603 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden