Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Online History Masters Programs... am I missing any?
I didn't major in history, but I looked at history programs with a more international focus in addition to international relations, national security studies (not the same as homeland security), and political science. I ended up choosing Angelo State University because it's in my state and a traditional university. APUS definitely had more course options for security studies; I don't think any non-profit school can beat them with course options. I think APUS mostly uses full-time instructors, but I liked having nothing but tenured professors in my program at ASU. I also saw mostly the same students in each course and got to connect with some of them on LinkedIn. I still talk to one of my former classmates who has acted as a reference for me a couple of times. I also talk to two of the professors I had four years later and got great recommendations from them when I applied to PhD programs a few years ago.

No one has ever questioned my degree from ASU because most Texans are familiar with the school. They also assume that I attended on campus. Liberty probably won't be an issue in the history field, but I once had a biologist talk my ear off about how Liberty considers creationism a science. I definitely would not recommend Liberty University for the natural sciences unless you want to forever deal with people angrily discussing how Liberty University views evolution.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • dewisant
sanantone Wrote:No one has ever questioned my degree from ASU because most Texans are familiar with the school. They also assume that I attended on campus. Liberty probably won't be an issue in the history field, but I once had a biologist talk my ear off about how Liberty considers creationism a science. I definitely would not recommend Liberty University for the natural sciences unless you want to forever deal with people angrily discussing how Liberty University views evolution.

I hate to necro any threads, but what was your in-state tuition for ASU? Doing the basic math in my noggin', I'm coming up with something around $225/cr or less - much less than many other offerings I've found.
Also, how many proctored exams did you have to take through the MSS program? I'm investigating both Security Studies and Intelligence Studies, which run similar courses.
Last question, but did you go the Thesis or Capstone route and would you recommend it?

If you'd be willing to shed some light on the subject, I would be most grateful.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Thorne Wrote:I hate to necro any threads, but what was your in-state tuition for ASU? Doing the basic math in my noggin', I'm coming up with something around $225/cr or less - much less than many other offerings I've found.
Also, how many proctored exams did you have to take through the MSS program? I'm investigating both Security Studies and Intelligence Studies, which run similar courses.
Last question, but did you go the Thesis or Capstone route and would you recommend it?

If you'd be willing to shed some light on the subject, I would be most grateful.

At the time, the tuition was over $300 per credit hour. I received a state grant that reduced the amount I needed to take out in loans. As you may already know, Texas only gives grant money to students attending public schools in Texas. I chose the non-thesis option and had no capstone at that time. I had an oral, comprehensive exam that was completed through a telephone conference. There were no proctored exams in the program. Everything was in essay and PowerPoint format plus discussion posts.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:At the time, the tuition was over $300 per credit hour. I received a state grant that reduced the amount I needed to take out in loans. As you may already know, Texas only gives grant money to students attending public schools in Texas. I chose the non-thesis option and had no capstone at that time. I had an oral, comprehensive exam that was completed through a telephone conference. There were no proctored exams in the program. Everything was in essay and PowerPoint format plus discussion posts.

Sounds like a dream come true. Between the MBA from UT Permian Basin and the ASU Security Studies, I'm starting to think that in-state DL is better than anything else.

Thanks for all the information! I know I said I had no more questions, but how long ago did you complete the degree and how difficult was the comprehensive exam, for curiosity sake? If it's oral, I have less time to think and form an answer on issues I don't know like the back of my hand.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Thorne Wrote:Sounds like a dream come true. Between the MBA from UT Permian Basin and the ASU Security Studies, I'm starting to think that in-state DL is better than anything else.

Thanks for all the information! I know I said I had no more questions, but how long ago did you complete the degree and how difficult was the comprehensive exam, for curiosity sake? If it's oral, I have less time to think and form an answer on issues I don't know like the back of my hand.

Unless you can get into a school with a great, national reputation, then it usually is better to go in-state. Employers don't question schools with which they are familiar. Everyone thinks I attended ASU on campus. It's definitely nice to live in an area where there are a lot of alumni. For example, there are a lot of officers in Central Texas who have graduated from Texas State University because it's the best school in that area for studying criminal justice.

I graduated four years ago. The comprehensive exam wasn't difficult if you read the readings in your courses, but I don't know the current structure of the program. They kind of expect you to know major issues like the back of your hand and to be up to date on current issues in international security.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I start APU MA Ancient and Classical History on 3 Jun 2019.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
[-] The following 4 users Like dewisant's post:
  • eriehiker, hsfamfun, Jonathan Whatley, Muldoon
(05-27-2019, 12:51 PM)dewisant Wrote: I start APU MA Ancient and Classical History on 3 Jun 2019.

Nice! Looks like an interesting program, do they make you learn any French or German?
(06-05-2019, 08:25 AM)npk32 Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 12:51 PM)dewisant Wrote: I start APU MA Ancient and Classical History on 3 Jun 2019.

Nice! Looks like an interesting program, do they make you learn any French or German?

Nope, and it doesn't look like I get taught how to do any translations at all, I'm told we just use "online translations." It doesn't seem real enough to me at this point.
I am in contact with Liberty University about an MA in History. Their best version is American History. My favorite time in History is Medieval History.
My favorite form of self or directed education is through the Great Books of the Western World.
What to do, what to do, what to do....
I know it's an old thread and the op is surely long gone but I thought I'd point out that there are a number of very good non-US schools that offer degrees in History.  I know that some don't care for these non-US schools/degrees but it might work for others.  Here's an example
History | University of London
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgradua...021&id=616
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • dewisant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 264 10 hours ago
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 288 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,614 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 263 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,250 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 494 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone