Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Options for Online Science Courses?
Hey, guys! I'm curious to know where I can pick up some online science courses at an affordable price. For my BA in Biology, I'm going to need lots of courses w/ labs.

I found a good price on BYU classes for Physics I & II, but unfortunately they don't include labs. Ugh. https://is.byu.edu/description/PHSCS-105-M001
I know that TESU offers the one-credit labs for these courses. Are there any cheaper options?

What are some other inexpensive science options you guys have found? I appreciate the input!
Straighterline for A&P I, A&P II, and Microbiology if you don't mind them being ACE only.

If you need them to be real courses (for grad school entrance or other), then NMJC, Clovis, Luna, and
Rio Salado.

They also have Bio I and II, and I believe they have at least 2 Chemistry courses and Physics, although not every term.

Also seeing about hybrid courses at a local school.

The best one so far that's been recommended often is Rio Salado College, the course and labs.
If for some reason you want to take it at Straighterline, they have the first year sciences covered.
Another option for a couple of first year sciences with a lab is at ed4credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Keep in mind the price of textbook and materials. The online access codes aren't so cheap. Also, many schools have an extra lab fee of about $50 per course.

On the TESU degree plan for a BA in Biology, there is no specification for which level Bio I & II should be. I have found a few different affordable online options for these courses that even include labs. However, they are the "lower level" version of Bio I & II - not intended for science majors. The "higher level" Bio I & II w/ labs (for science majors) are super hard to find online.

So, does TESU distinguish between the two? I don't see this specified on their degree plan. So, should I assume the "lower level" Bio I & II are acceptable? Bachelor's Degree in Biology at Thomas Edison State University
Essentially, Bio I & II are the same at each community college or 4 year college/university. There is no difference, there is no "lower level" "upper level".
Each course you look at, if it comes from a community college, they are all 100 level or 200 level when it comes into TESU. Other biology courses
that come into TESU as 300/400 level are the upper level credit science courses. The main thing you need to look at is what TESU says it comes in as.
Note: They just designate courses that are for Science Majors vs Non Science Majors (there may be less course work covered for non majors).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
University of New England has Online Medical Biology II with lab, meant for people entering health professions Smile

You can't go by their public webpage, but I looked in OSS, and it doesn't seem to matter if those Bio I and II are LL. Check with them though Smile

I am surprised at how much they require for their Biology degree. Mostly surprised they need so much Physics and Organic Chem.

This is a little off-track, but with so much interest in Biology in the threads lately, I wanted to mention for folks in the New England area, Boston has an amazing Open Biology lab, the Boston Open Science Lab, or BOSLab, where you can attend classes/trainings, join in on open bio-hacking evenings, etc. They have a very, very packed calendar, lots of events year-round.

They offer a 2-day lab intensive...it won't get you college credit, but it *will* give you experience and training on state-of-the-art wet lab equipment (electrophoresis, thermocyclers, autoclave, centrifuge, filtration, bacterial cultures, etc). I think it was HomeSchoolMom who mentioned being within a couple of hours of Boston - this would be something worth coming in for, on occasion. The next training is in June and I think it's already booked up, but join their MeetUp group if you're planning on being in the area, or would travel for a training event. (I think 2 full days of lab training is like $200.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes SolarKat's post:
  • Yenisei
bjcheung77 Wrote:Essentially, Bio I & II are the same at each community college or 4 year college/university. There is no difference, there is no "lower level" "upper level".
Each course you look at, if it comes from a community college, they are all 100 level or 200 level when it comes into TESU. Other biology courses
that come into TESU as 300/400 level are the upper level credit science courses. The main thing you need to look at is what TESU says it comes in as.
Note: They just designate courses that are for Science Majors vs Non Science Majors (there may be less course work covered for non majors).

I think she means Intro Bio vs General Bio. There is a distinction for science majors vs non science majors (as will be true in physics as well) however this isn't a thing at TESU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 517 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,775 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 260 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 386 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,353 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 313 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az