Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors?
Hello,

By the end of the year, I will hold a BS in Computer Science from University of the People. I would like to get a Master's from a more reputable regionally accredited institution, so I'm starting to research my options. I'm making this post as a preliminary measure to figure out which direction I might start looking.

I took advantage of many Sophia, CLEP, and ACE-Coursera certs throughout my degree, so I'm worried about that possibly affecting my chances of getting admitted to a Master's program; I did not let them water down my degree, for example, I tested out of computer networking class using Google IT Professional cert, but then I went and read a networking textbook because I didn't feel competent in that topic.

I am interested in Computer Science or Information Technology degrees, focusing on software development or cloud engineering. My motivation for pursuing a Master's degree program is to add further validation to my qualifications and maintain eligibility for internship programs. I should have applied for internships the entire time I was doing my degree, but I failed to realize that until the end, so I will only have about nine months of internship experience.

For a long time, I was not eligible to fill out a FAFSA because I had student loans in default, but I was a beta tester for the recent Biden student loan forgiveness and managed to get mine cleared before the courts put a stop to it, which means I can fill out a FAFSA again!

What are my cheapest options and most advisable approaches? What things should I consider as I go about researching this topic? I'm unsure if I want to take out student loans again. If WASC accredits them this year, I might just stick with UoPeople. I know people dunk on it for the peer assessment, but honestly, it works for me, and I feel that I learn well from a self-paced, self-disciplined, flexible style of education. However, I want to consider every option.
CLEP/ACE isn't as much of a problem as, unfortunately, the UoPeople degree itself is. UoPeople is (still) only Nationally Accredited. Very few schools accept a NA degree for acceptance into an RA Master's degree. WGU might, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is probably just to continue on to a Master's in IT from UoPeople.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
r/UoPeople has much more comprehensive information on institutions that accept it for Masters degrees. From what I understand, many of the UK universities like such as Open University and University of London will accept it.
(03-11-2023, 05:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: WGU might, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is probably just to continue on to a Master's in IT from UoPeople.

WGU will. Part of their Masters admission requirements state "Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution."

WGU started off as NA and have stayed generous in accepting NA degrees and transfer credits.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
(03-11-2023, 04:40 PM)mastersDegreeDecision Wrote: Hello,

By the end of the year, I will hold a BS in Computer Science from University of the People. I would like to get a Master's from a more reputable regionally accredited institution, so I'm starting to research my options. I'm making this post as a preliminary measure to figure out which direction I might start looking.

I took advantage of many Sophia, CLEP, and ACE-Coursera certs throughout my degree, so I'm worried about that possibly affecting my chances of getting admitted to a Master's program; I did not let them water down my degree, for example, I tested out of computer networking class using Google IT Professional cert, but then I went and read a networking textbook because I didn't feel competent in that topic.

I am interested in Computer Science or Information Technology degrees, focusing on software development or cloud engineering. My motivation for pursuing a Master's degree program is to add further validation to my qualifications and maintain eligibility for internship programs. I should have applied for internships the entire time I was doing my degree, but I failed to realize that until the end, so I will only have about nine months of internship experience.

For a long time, I was not eligible to fill out a FAFSA because I had student loans in default, but I was a beta tester for the recent Biden student loan forgiveness and managed to get mine cleared before the courts put a stop to it, which means I can fill out a FAFSA again!

What are my cheapest options and most advisable approaches? What things should I consider as I go about researching this topic? I'm unsure if I want to take out student loans again. If WASC accredits them this year, I might just stick with UoPeople. I know people dunk on it for the peer assessment, but honestly, it works for me, and I feel that I learn well from a self-paced, self-disciplined, flexible style of education. However, I want to consider every option.
You can start your search from here : 
https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...-degree/#/
[-] The following 1 user Likes durain's post:
  • kidneysmasher
Liberty university offers an MS in information technology and American public university offers the same they both accept N.A. degrees
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm going to keep checking in and I'll investigate every lead offered in this thread. Georgia Tech online seems promising.

(03-11-2023, 06:50 PM)jsd Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 05:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: WGU might, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is probably just to continue on to a Master's in IT from UoPeople.

WGU will. Part of their Masters admission requirements state "Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution."

WGU started off as NA and have stayed generous in accepting NA degrees and transfer credits.

It seems to be a Master's in Information Systems Management. my read on it is that it's kind of a business degree tailored to technologists.
I'm an adjunct at UofPeople. A lot of the students went on to WGU for their Masters. You may try there.
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
[-] The following 2 users Like kidneysmasher's post:
  • artsemlazarchuk, origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 10 924 04-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,764 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,890 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 501 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 602 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,038 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,814 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,035 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,678 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,722 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree