Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheating is BIG business! <sigh>
Wow! What the heck!  I used them for books, not for cheating!  12 Billion, that's outrageous!  I do not believe it...

I still don't get what people are doing, if you cheat, you won't learn.  How would you perform well in any academic setting if you do that?

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/...f88f61363f
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Maybr its time to reassess how we teach , so students will be more interested in learning for the sake of knowledge and not the grade?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-15-2021, 06:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow! What the heck!  I used them for books, not for cheating!  12 Billion, that's outrageous!  I do not believe it...

I still don't get what people are doing, if you cheat, you won't learn.  How would you perform well in any academic setting if you do that?

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/...f88f61363f

If you don't need the knowledge to live your life in the real world, then it doesn't matter for many people.  If I cheat my way through Econ 101 or Intro to Humanities or Music Appreciation, it really would make no difference in my life.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm not saying I condone it, but I can't blame some students for doing this under some circumstances. Some universities all but abandoned students during covid. Poorly put together "online" classes, no tutoring, etc. But they still expected full tuition and you better finish those classes you paid through the nose for.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ctcarl, ss20ts
I've had online classes where the professor just didn't participate. They offered ZERO help. You were 100% on your own and that's what happened to many students when they were thrown into remote learning. Why am I paying college tuition to learn on my own? I'll admit I've used Chegg. Not on a test but for the problems in the textbook because I was completely stuck and had ZERO idea of what to do. I am not the greatest at math. If I know where to start I usually have an idea on how to get to where I need the problem to end (the solution), but I struggle figuring out where to begin quite often. Seeing the Chegg solution to the problems in the textbook did help me. I rarely looked past the first line or two to see how I need to start the problem off.

All of us aren't great at every subject. Many degrees require courses you'll never use in life. I understand they want well rounded students but then they also need to provide HELP. Real HELP. Not just lip service of saying I have office hours and never being available during them or just tell you to find a tutor. How do online students find a tutor? Most students have NO idea how to do that.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • gams007, jch, rachel83az
There is no doubt that online classes have changed the education model. Students are now expected to perform, at the same level as before, without the face-to-face interactions with professors, interactions in study groups, availing of tutoring opportunities and other methods of improving their knowledge. Also, there is a big issue of professors, especially at the community college level, that are poor at teaching complex subjects.

Students face a dilemma: do they attempt the exam on their own, using their acquired knowledge? or, do they use sites, such as Chegg, to complete their online exams and assignments? The fact is their peers are using these services. So, how does a student stay competitive?

I know of one student who used Chegg to attain a really high GPA, at their local community college. This individual was, then, accepted to a prestigious university, based on their high GPA.
Wow! I love having resources like Chegg and other sites to supplement what I'm learning. Sometimes the way someone solves a problem helps me more than textbook examples, similar to what could happen in a classroom setting. I guess it's a cheaters paradise if they're looking for that.
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt - In progress
Straighterline - 72 credits
Sophia - 35 credits
Study.com - 21 credits
TEEX - 6 credits
East MS CC, Jackson State CC, Univ of TN at Martin, Olivet Nazarene, TESU - 27 credits
Goal: teaching cert, state of GA
[-] The following 1 user Likes jcooke's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-16-2021, 11:41 AM)khwaja1924 Wrote: Also, there is a big issue of professors, especially at the community college level, that are poor at teaching complex subjects.

This is completely off the subject; but you are completely wrong.  I've had courses at 2 4yr state universities, a 4yr private university, and 2 CC's.  I found that there are good and bad teachers at all of them.  But, I must say, for the price, I've been FAR happier with my CC instructors.  They have been far better at explaining things, are much more accessible, have longer office hours, actually are in their office when they say they are, etc.  You just get more bang for your buck at a CC.

Obviously YMMV, but I just want to point out that I don't think it matters what school you're at - there will be good and bad instructors everywhere.

I'm also going to guess that there are younger teachers at CC's, and they may have been at an advantage to make the switch to Zoom or online when it was not expected.  But even then, some schools were better than others, and some teachers were better than others.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think the big problem is that Gen Z seems to view education as "something you have to do" rather than "learn skills and get educated". Sure, we all have that one (or multiple) classes we all hate or think "when will I ever use this", but I think most kids are taking that attitude and applying it to a lot more subjects.
(06-16-2021, 03:34 PM)FutureAD Wrote: I think the big problem is that Gen Z seems to view education as "something you have to do" rather than "learn skills and get educated". Sure, we all have that one (or multiple) classes we all hate or think "when will I ever use this", but I think most kids are taking that attitude and applying it to a lot more subjects.

I'm not Generation Z and most of the time I have felt that college was something you had to do. That's what I was taught growing up. I'm Generation X and know many others in my age who feel/felt the same way. This happens with many generations.
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • , CatsDomino, ctcarl, Novo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 284 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 454 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 698 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 524 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 973 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Shocked College Student Stunned by Professor’s ‘Ridiculous’ Cheating Accusation! LevelUP 14 2,956 04-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 723 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Business Certificates Alpha 7 1,313 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  BSc Business & Management (Honors Top Up) £5,250 or less! bjcheung77 0 508 08-22-2021, 06:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,050 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests