Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing Classes
So I'm thinking of enrolling here instead of continuing with Excelsior, but through the reading I've done I'm a bit confused. Let's say I transfer in 90 credits (I know I have to do 30 UL at UMPI) Do I get to choose those UL courses? From what I was reading it seems like you don't get a choice and your advisor just chooses for you.
No you don't get to chose your UL courses. You have to complete the degree requirements. Depending on which degree you select, there isn't room for extra UL courses. Which degree are you looking at?
Each concentration or minor has their own set of courses that are required for that specific concentration/minor. There may be a couple of courses that overlap if you do another concentration/minor. Other than that, whatever you take to transfer into UMPI requires it to hit the General Education requirements. Find the degree concentration/minor you want and then decide/see what courses can be transferred in and can't be transferred.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jaceapollo
(08-28-2021, 11:22 AM)ss20ts Wrote: No you don't get to chose your UL courses. You have to complete the degree requirements. Depending on which degree you select, there isn't room for extra UL courses. Which degree are you looking at?

Liberal Arts with minor in educational studies... so I guess that means I would have to take a few lower level classes in educational studies too.
(08-28-2021, 05:59 PM)jaceapollo Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 11:22 AM)ss20ts Wrote: No you don't get to chose your UL courses. You have to complete the degree requirements. Depending on which degree you select, there isn't room for extra UL courses. Which degree are you looking at?

Liberal Arts with minor in educational studies... so I guess that means I would have to take a few lower level classes in educational studies too.

This shows you the required courses for the minor:

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-edu...px#courses

You'll have to take additional UL courses outside of your minor at UMPI. Your advisor will work with you on these. You don't have the entire UMPI catalog available. You have the YourPace courses available to you only. I completed 3 minors at UMPI with my BLS.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jaceapollo, Pikachu
I need 5 UL History classes and I get to choose from a list of 14 available classes. I did transfer in 3 UL history classes two of which fulfilled the American and Pre-Modern requirements. One of the classes I take must be non-western but there are two classes to choose for that topic. So, at least in the History major, there is some room for choice.
BA History & Political Science - History Concentration - UMPI - 2021
Done- Waiting for degree conferral 

AA Graphic Design - Penn Foster - 2010 
[-] The following 3 users Like TMcClary's post:
  • ashkir, jaceapollo, rachel83az
I just wanted to add... I'm doing the BLS. I had most of the gen ed classes done as well as a few of the ones I needed for the Management minor. I mostly just needed UL electives, so I did get to choose most of mine (I chose courses that I could apply to minors that I only needed a few more classes for). But as the others have said, it really depends on your major and what you have left to complete.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 153 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
  Which BUS Classes would be the quickest tombbraider 4 371 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 282 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Failed classes prissy1pris 9 1,082 01-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TammaraOligschlaeger
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,311 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study vs UMPI BUS Classes klone 4 737 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 956 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Recommended classes to take mrguy 5 955 10-23-2023, 05:55 PM
  Quickest/Easiest Poly Sci classes? Duneranger 11 991 09-28-2023, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Duneranger