Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civics Options - What did you like/hate
I need to take something for Civic Engagement for TESU.  I liked Sophia, but they don't offer it.  I have taken SL courses and they are OK.

Has anybody done the UExcel test for this class.  It is hard? I am worried about nit picky facts.

Any other suggestions of favorites or classes to avoid?
Civic Engagement: I haven't completed this yet myself, however this site's owner (InstantCert) offers American Government for only $20 + proctoring fees. There's a thread about it here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...rse-Review
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BrianFallon, nomaduser, Tlm
(08-26-2020, 09:55 AM)Tlm Wrote: I need to take something for Civic Engagement for TESU.  I liked Sophia, but they don't offer it.  I have taken SL courses and they are OK.

Has anybody done the UExcel test for this class.  It is hard? I am worried about nit picky facts.

Any other suggestions of favorites or classes to avoid?

If you have ready access to an open CLEP center, take the American Government CLEP.  Use Modern States Alliance to get a test voucher so the test if free.  MSA has video based classes to prep you for the class.

Or, for $20, take Instacert's American Goverment ACE Class.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrianFallon's post:
  • Tlm
I agree with the others, CLEP via Modern States, or ICC. Best cheapest options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I took two CLEP exams for American Government, the second time free with voucher, but both times the quizzes were too mismatched from what the CLEP book suggested to study. I took it once again with Straighterline and I loved it and passed. The final and the quizzes didn't veer too much away from the study material. I don't know if the problem was just at that one test center but somehow that is how I stumbled on this forum, as I was looking for a low cost alternative to that exam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • Tlm
I passed the American Govt. CLEP exam with a 68. Took less than 20hrs of studying time to pass it. 

I did Modern States, then used premade Quizlets for key terms and Peterson's AP U.S. Govt study guide.  A good study guide with practice exams is key I think to these exams if you want to make sure you pass
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Instantcert CLEP AM Govt.. Once you sign up. Everything you need to know is on this forum under the locked Instantcert discussion.

Easily passed in a few days of study and review of the guides people posted in the instantcert forum on this website. This was a month ago.. the info is still good. There is also some youtube crash course videos that are good. Will help you remember the court cases that are relevant.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • Tlm
Now that you have heard all the super cheap options; the easy option is Study.com. As long as it isn't the only course you need then the cost is $100 or less. Read fast, ace the quizzes, get a 55+ on the exam. In my mind that is less stress then these exams and doesn't require 20 hours of studying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • Tlm
Study.com offers American Government, I would just do that
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • tallpilot, Tlm
I took straighterline's American Gov. course and I thought the textbook was a really enjoyable read, which was unexpected. I can't say I'm a fan of Study.com at all, but we're all different. I'd definitely give Instantcert a go for $20.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,436 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Statistics - options now (quick and easy) allvia 5 1,130 04-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Difficulty - Alternative Credit Options splirow 17 3,367 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU sociology options? Fibrazer 2 662 03-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Fibrazer
  Geometry and Credit Banking Options acamp 13 2,164 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Public Speaking Options jthatcher50 3 1,109 04-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  online degree classes study material options mdel210201 1 913 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question TESU UL class options breezyt 4 1,373 02-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: rckola911
  COSC Oral Communications UL Options jthatcher50 3 1,117 01-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,739 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia